Should i create folder of best ti-83 files?
Yes
 60%  [ 6 ]
No
 40%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 10

Should i go through all of the ti-83 asm basic games, asm games, and shells and create a file with all of the best ones?
Yes assuming two things:
1) You have lots of free time.
2) You have an unbiased oppionion on your list.
both of which i have.
I envy you.
I could help if you want.
I downloaded 1331 basic games yesterday excluding the ones that were not in zip format.

@pseudoprogrammer: You could do the 83+ and than we combine all the good ones into one folder called best of 83 or something.
lafferjm wrote:
both of which i have.

No you don't. You may have tons of free time, but it is impossible to be unbiased (as we can all think). You may like a certain genre more than another, a certain style of visuals, etc...

Feel free to make a folder called "Lafferjm's Favorites", but you cannot call it the "Best of the TI-83+" as you are not the sole judge of that. What you like is not necessarily what I like, and vice versa.
Do you realize what a massive undertaking this is? Even if it takes you an astoundingly quick average of 10 minutes to download a file, unzip it, read and understand directions, load the game onto a calc or emulator, play the game, and finally rate the game, this project is going to require over 221 hours' worth of work? That's 9.25 straight days of work. Given the sheer amount of time this project will take, and given the fact that your opinion means nothing to anybody, and would not mean anything even if it were not biased (which it is), and still would be relatively insignificant even if your name was well-known within the calculator community (which it is not) and people respected your gaming/programming/rating/writing abilities (which they do not), and given that the usefulness of your guide/folder/whatever will be minimal since people already know what the best calculator games are (i.e. the ones that people send to other people), is this something you really want to do? Seriously, go spend your life doing something that actually matters.
i think i will still do it because it will only take a couple of hours to test them all. plus i already downloaded every ti-83 program which only took about twenty minutes.
Although this is an ambitious idea on your part, let me point out one area where it's a bad idea: intellectual property rights and licensing. While some calculator programs and shells are licensed under the GPL or a similar free (as in speech) license, the majority are not, and you would be violating huge numbers of licenses, implied and explicit, by repackaging all this stuff together. Much better would be to make an HTML document or a topic here, providing links to all of the content you feel would deserve to be in such a compendium.
And like jpez said, 10 minutes per game (which I think is an underestimate to truly test and review a game) * 1331 = 13310 minutes

13310 minutes / 60 = 221.8 hours

221.8 hours / 24 = 9.24 straight days of work.

You can't ignore the math, it is most definitely not just a "couple of hours" to test them all. If you test each game for much less than 10 minutes, that your opinion will be even FURTHER ignored by people, as no one cares if you like the intro or not Rolling Eyes

Take chess, for example. An extremely boring game at first, but once you get into it, and learn strategies, then, and only then, do you fully realize the genius of the game. That goes for most strategy games
i guess i will just create an html document on them than.
Rolling Eyes THAT WILL TAKE EXACTLY THE SAME AMOUNT OF TIME

jeesus man, get this in your head. That 221.8 hours of work was JUST TO PLAY THEM. It did NOT include reviewing them or posting them in a folder
lafferjm wrote:
i guess i will just create an html document on them than.
Good idea. That way, other members of the community can critique it as it progresses, as well.
btw, other people have tried that out, and they have failed, just as a heads up.
in case any of you are wondering which you probably are not i am almost finished my list. i have completed all games in the asm section except for the ones that do not require a shell and the SOS games. SOS games didnt make the list because SOS didnt make my list of favorite shells. Now all i have to do is finish the basic ones and create the html page.
Is it hosted up anywhere so we can start giving it the once-over?
wow, I can't believe he went through on it. Ah well, congrats then I guess.
KermMartian wrote:

I haven't even startede on the page yet. I wanted to test all the games first.
lafferjm wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

I haven't even startede on the page yet. I wanted to test all the games first.
Oh, when you said "finished the list" I thought you meant "finished the list and descriptions," not "finished deciding what will be on the list."

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours