After a brief lookover I don't see a way to open'er up.
knowing apple, it will be like the iPod, so no, there is no real way to open it up.
rivereye wrote:
knowing apple, it will be like the iPod, so no, there is no real way to open it up.
Oh come on, you're more resourceful than that. Very Happy I'm sure someone on the internet has worked out a way to do interchangeable batteries by now.
Pseudoprogrammer wrote:
If it's free i'll take it Very Happy Which it was of course, the keyboard is very easy to type on in the horizontal mode, much faster than traditional texting, I've been pretty pleased with it though. My only complaint is battery life, which sucks.

Then clearly you haven't used a phone such as a Motorola Q or a Samsung Blackjack - buttons >>>>>> touchscreen, its not even close to being a contest. Besides, I can do crazy shit like type a period with just one button push, not, what, 3 screen taps?

@Kerm: its a sealed battery - no swapping or extendeds. It should easily last all day in standby mode w/ moderate amounts of talking/texting. You must remember than phone battery life for even the cheap, basic ones are still only ~5 hours of "talk time" (which is what he is using, after all).

Pseudo: Turn off things like e-mail checking, that is a *huge* drain on battery life (especially in weak reception areas) - just another example of the iPhone sucking it up (I can get e-mails pushed to me like text messages - no battery life hit that way, w00t)

@Tari: There are already a couple of phones that have been out that have touch screen + full size keyboard. My friends parents each have one, they are very very nice phones... I think this is the phone that they have: http://www.htcwiki.com/page/HTC+Mogul?t=anon
you can change it out, you just have to open the case and disconnect from the main board in there (at least, that is how my ipod is).
My opinion has risen on the keyboard, although I don't like the 2 button periods, I can type mad fast thanks to apple making a nifty program that assumes that you have fat pudgy fingers (they will never assume their keyboard sucks) and auto corrects, so far it has never made an... er.. incorrect correction.
Pseudoprogrammer wrote:
My opinion has risen on the keyboard, although I don't like the 2 button periods, I can type mad fast thanks to apple making a nifty program that assumes that you have fat pudgy fingers (they will never assume their keyboard sucks) and auto corrects, so far it has never made an... er.. incorrect correction.
Never? Oh, one of the things I was curious about is how it does with vocabulary it hasn't seen before, say, Cemetech. Very Happy Do you have to laboriously teach it new words or does it recognize them on its own?
No I just ignore it, after it runs out of suggestions, it figures you're typing something like that. For example when i'm talking to a friend in German, and I start to type say, "Jetzt" it stops offering suggestions once I type in the Z, i'm not quite sure how they managed to get it so smart =/ It corrects when it needs to and that makes me happy Very Happy
Pseudoprogrammer wrote:
No I just ignore it, after it runs out of suggestions, it figures you're typing something like that. For example when i'm talking to a friend in German, and I start to type say, "Jetzt" it stops offering suggestions once I type in the Z, i'm not quite sure how they managed to get it so smart =/ It corrects when it needs to and that makes me happy Very Happy
Haha, I wonder whom. Laughing Is there a way to correct it if it guesses your mistypes wrong?
Tap the word.
Pseudoprogrammer wrote:
Tap the word.
No, I mean if what you're trying to type isn't among the options (or have you not run into this problem at all?).
If it thinks your trying to type something and has a suggestion it makes it, if you don't like the suggestion you just keep typing until its suggestion is correct or tap the suggestion to make it dissapear, if it has no suggestion, it lets you go about your merry business.
Pseudoprogrammer wrote:

That is hardly anything new - tons of phones offer auto-completion :/ (hell, my Wii has it)

Besides, ultimately touchscreens suck so bad at being keyboards that they needed to include something like that. I turned off auto-complete on my Q because it took less time to just finish typing the word. Buttons FTW!
The thing about auto-complete is I don't need to press any extra keys to get the completion, It has the suggestion above the word and to use it you just space to the next word and it fills in this rest. I'm not saying it's new, but it works, my texting speed has gone up a lot, and it auto-punctuates, I like that it's better than my old phone and it was free. Lol.
Pseudoprogrammer wrote:
The thing about auto-complete is I don't need to press any extra keys to get the completion, It has the suggestion above the word and to use it you just space to the next word and it fills in this rest. I'm not saying it's new, but it works, my texting speed has gone up a lot, and it auto-punctuates, I like that it's better than my old phone and it was free. 0x5.

Of the handful of phones I've used thats how their auto-complete all worked too...
Yeah I've used them and I don't want one. My pocket pc's could do all that had 3 times that battery life and you could switch out the batteries. and it is not the full Internet they are lying through their teeth, my pocket pc worked with twice as many sites as their crap browser does. My penny phone has auto complete on it that works just as good. I see no reason why I should pay that much for a 8gb iPhone when I can buy a smart phone and a 20gb mp3 player for the same amount.
Switching topics to other areas where the iPhone cares, what's up with it not being able to record video with its camera? I don't think that's a hardware limitation at all...
Thats bogus the iPhone is nothing new they just made a whole bunch of stuff that already existed crappier and suck a i in front of it.
I'll take my new Zune over an iPhone any day.
The iPhone has the capability to do video, and has been hacked to record video, no idea why apple didn't include it. So far I haven't encountered any webpage that didn't load properly, cemetech and SAX loads perfectly, as does myspace, facebook, digg, and lots of others.
That's what I was saying, the missing video recording feature is a function of either laziness or malice on Apple's programmers' part, not a hardware limitation, hence, as you said, the iPhone can be hacked to record video.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours