mplayer will play sound when run with those settings, but I still can't get video...
And I can get sound in Windows Media Player 9, but no video, with either file extension.
elfprince13 wrote:
Very Happy I play half downloaded files all the time...it treats everything as a stream, so you can watch while ya download....and you can use it for file conversion, hosting video servers, and all sorts of things. its called VideoLAN for a reason.

I play half downloaded files all the time with mplayer Razz I personally find mplayer to be the king of formats

@foamy: copy/paste its console output here please - its hard to fix an error if you aren't posting the error message Smile
Kllrnohj wrote:
@foamy: copy/paste its console output here please - its hard to fix an error if you aren't posting the error message Smile

I was going to when it happened, but I couldn't. There were no right click options and ctrl+c didn't work. I also don't know how to take screen images.

I'm using DSL, fluxbox, and bash.
Easy. Just do this

"mplayer -vo gl2 -xy 800 test-0002.mpeg &> mplayer_out_log"

Then just copy/paste the contents of mplayer_out_log here Smile

For those curious about what happened, its really quite simple. The '>' operator tells BASH to redirect stdout to a file. Doing '>>' tells it to append. And the '&' before it tells it to also redirect stderr (without that all the errors would be echoed to the terminal and not sent to the file Very Happy )
Quote:
MPlayer 1.0pre2-2.95.4 (C) 2000-2003 MPlayer Team

CPU: Intel Pentium II Klamath/Pentium II OverDrive 359.6 MHz (Family: 6, Stepping: 4)
Detected cache-line size is 32 bytes
CPUflags: MMX: 1 MMX2: 0 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 0 SSE2: 0
Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX SSE

Reading config file /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf
Reading config file /home/dsl/.mplayer/config
Reading /home/dsl/.mplayer/codecs.conf: 61 audio & 157 video codecs
Linux RTC init error in ioctl (rtc_irqp_set 1024): Permission denied
font: can't open file: /home/dsl/.mplayer/font/font.desc
font: can't open file: /usr/share/mplayer/font/font.desc
Try adding "echo 1024 > /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq" to your system startup scripts.
Using usleep() timing
Input config file /home/dsl/.mplayer/input.conf parsed: 52 binds
Can't init input joystick
Opening joystick device /dev/input/js0
Can't open joystick device /dev/input/js0 : Permission denied
Setting up LIRC support...
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support.
You will not be able to use your remote control.

Playing test-0001.mpeg
File not found: 'test-0001.mpeg'
Failed to open test-0001.mpeg

Exiting... (End of file)
Uh... you are asking it to play test-0001.mpeg instead of test-0002.mpeg Razz (either that or you aren't in the directory that the file is at)

/me slaps foamy for giving mplayer the wrong file name Very Happy Come on man, use that tab auto-completion! (as in type 'mplayer -vo gl2 test-<TAB KEY>' and it should auto-fill in the rest of test-0002.mpeg assuming that you are running the command in the same folder as the file you downloaded)

(note this part of the output: "File not found: 'test-0001.mpeg' ")
Kllrnohj wrote:
Uh... you are asking it to play test-0001.mpeg instead of test-0002.mpeg Razz (either that or you aren't in the directory that the file is at)

/me slaps foamy for giving mplayer the wrong file name Very Happy Come on man, use that tab auto-completion! (as in type 'mplayer -vo gl2 test-<TAB KEY>' and it should auto-fill in the rest of test-0002.mpeg assuming that you are running the command in the same folder as the file you downloaded)

(note this part of the output: "File not found: 'test-0001.mpeg' ")

Umm... the file I have is called test-0001.mpeg. And I didn't know about the tab thing.

Let me try moving it to my hd and trying it.
Here you go. The sound played again this time.

Quote:
Reading config file /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf
Reading config file /home/dsl/.mplayer/config
Reading /home/dsl/.mplayer/codecs.conf: 61 audio & 157 video codecs
Linux RTC init error in ioctl (rtc_irqp_set 1024): Permission denied
font: can't open file: /home/dsl/.mplayer/font/font.desc
font: can't open file: /usr/share/mplayer/font/font.desc
Try adding "echo 1024 > /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq" to your system startup scripts.
Using usleep() timing
Input config file /home/dsl/.mplayer/input.conf parsed: 52 binds
Can't init input joystick
Opening joystick device /dev/input/js0
Can't open joystick device /dev/input/js0 : Permission denied
Setting up LIRC support...
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support.
You will not be able to use your remote control.

Playing test-0001.mpeg

Cache fill: 0.00% (0 bytes) AVI file format detected.
** empty list?!
Could not determine number of frames (for absolute seek)
VIDEO: [FMP4] 2560x1024 24bpp 10.000 fps -17179870.0 kbps (-2097152.0 kbyte/s)
Clip info:
Software: Lavf50.5.0
==========================================================================
Opening audio decoder: [mp3lib] MPEG layer-2, layer-3
MP3lib: init layer2&3 finished, tables done
AUDIO: 22050 Hz, 2 ch, 16 bit (0x10), ratio: 4000->88200 (32.0 kbit)
Selected audio codec: [mp3] afm:mp3lib (mp3lib MPEG layer-2, layer-3)
Xlib: extension "XFree86-VidModeExtension" missing on display ":0.0".
vo: X11 running at 1024x768 with depth 16 and 16 bpp (":0.0" => local display)
Cannot find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x34504D46.
Read DOCS/en/codecs.html!
Checking audio filter chain for 22050Hz/2ch/16bit -> 22050Hz/2ch/16bit...
AF_pre: af format: 2 bps, 2 ch, 22050 hz, little endian signed int
AF_pre: 22050Hz 2ch Signed 16-bit (Little-Endian)
AO: [oss] 22050Hz 2ch Signed 16-bit (Little-Endian) (2 bps)
Building audio filter chain for 22050Hz/2ch/16bit -> 22050Hz/2ch/16bit...
Video: no video
Starting playback...
A: 0.6 0.8% 40%
A: 1.3 0.8% 27%
A: 1.3 0.8% 27%
ect...

Quote:
Cannot find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x34504D46.
Read DOCS/en/codecs.html!

Hmm... I would assume that you have the codec, so my only guess is that its an older version of mplayer. I'll see about just re-encoding the video, and seeing if that fixes it though.
I downloaded mplayer a couple weeks ago through the myDSL extension browser. You click an icon on the desktop for mydsl, it gives you a list of a bunch of programs, you download one, and then it is automatically installed for you. I've only ever installed programs by doing that, and by just downloading the .dsl file to install. I've never successfully installed any other type of linux file. Just the myDSL apps.

Oh, and while on the topic, is what I just described sort of like apt-get? I've never used apt-get before.
Yes, they're very similar (although methinks myDSL is closer to synaptic, which is just a frontend to apt-get). You'd just do something like 'apt-get install mysql-server' to install the mySQL server, or find it in synaptic and install it.
Which is similar to how most package managers work. In gentoo its just 'emerge <package-name>'. But just because you did it a couple weeks ago doesn't mean that it is a recent version. It could be an mplayer version that came out 6 months to a 1+ year ago. Although I'm uncertain why you have had such trouble installing linux programs? Don't you always read the README's and INSTALL text files? Razz For most programs, its as simple as './configure && make && make install' (the last one must be done as root) Wink
Kllrnohj wrote:
...its as simple as './configure && make && make install' (the last one must be done as root) Wink
'./configure && make && sudo make install'
Only works if sudo is installed and configured, which is why I didn't say that, as its not part of the standard baselayout Smile
Kllrnohj wrote:
Don't you always read the README's and INSTALL text files?

Yes, multiple times. I read the whole thing once to get a general idea. I then do what it tells me with the readme still open. When it doesn't work, I reread the readme. Lastly, I go to the forum and look for people with similar problems. (I usually don't start topics about things like that, though. Shame on me, there.)
Uh... you really shouldn't be having problems, but the next time you try, post whats going wrong here. I've dealt with many problems in linux, I could probably help you, or at least point you in the right direction
/me votes that foamy's problems usually stem from unresolved dependencies.
The Tari wrote:
/me votes that foamy's problems usually stem from unresolved dependencies.

I don't really know what that means, but it sounds logical. I'm using an extremely minimalistic distro (and an older version, at that). The whole cd is < 50mb.
That means your build is missing packages that a particular program or package needs to function properly.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 4 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours