and on the infinite universe thing, do our minds, memories, what makes up you, pass from one universe to the next, or is there just an infinite number of me's thinking the very same thing?
I'm actually a semi-believer in the infinite-universe explanation of quantum physics, whereby a new universe is not really "created" but fails to be identical to another universe in as small a decision as the flipping of a single quantum particle.

Fascinating that you people should bring up the idea of the future and past happening at the same time as the the present; I too have been pondering along in that direction. I also like the idea someone brought up that the viewing of time is a fuction of our perception, not a built-in feature of the universe.
well, alot of people have been saying that time is too changeable, and is to a certain extent, if you go back and change time, then it 'already happened that way', because a future you has already gone back and done the same thing, and once 'you' do it, a past you will be doing the same thing and you will become the future you that has already done it. the cycle continues. this is my explantion on time being unchangeable.
my explanation of time being unchangeable is simple

"Time travel is impossible" Smile

All these theories seem to ignore that in physics, current theories believe that things get SIMPLER (eg, 4 types of energy all come from 1, idealized energy), not immeasurably more complex (which multi-universe theories and time travel theories all require)
yeh. I am saying this all under the asumption time travel is possible. Smile
and about things get simpler... yeah..thats the fun spoiler lol. Atom,electron/neutron/proton,quark,energy. =(
Kllrnohj wrote:
my explanation of time being unchangeable is simple

"Time travel is impossible" Smile

All these theories seem to ignore that in physics, current theories believe that things get SIMPLER (eg, 4 types of energy all come from 1, idealized energy), not immeasurably more complex (which multi-universe theories and time travel theories all require)

First, multi-universe is an oxymoron (multiverse). Second, time travel is possible, albeit only in one direction, the future. The past is set in stone. So called "time travel" would only be changing the rate at which you move into the future by enough that you would be able to notice.
Yet even that wouldn't be time travel - you'd simply be changing the rate at which you perceive time passing as opposed to the rest of the human race.
Hence the quotes around it. They weren't there just for decoration you know Razz .
kirb wrote:
Hence the quotes around it. They weren't there just for decoration you know Razz .
In retrospect, I just kinda reiterated the last part of your post. Well, my point stands nonetheless. Smile
its like when you go faster time go slower for you, opposed to a stationary person, if we put somebody on the star trek enterprise at 98% the speed of light at Alpha Centauri, it would only seem like a few months to them, as multiple years to us.
No, it would seem 4.47 years to get there (4.39/.9Cool for the riders, but 22.46 to us (unless I botched up the time dilation formula, which is entirely possible, it seems wrong). If it is n light-years away, it will take at least n years to get there.
Yeah. Its just to people moving very very fast, time passes more slowly then stationary people. you can put a clock into orbit at the speed of light and it will tick slower then a clock here on earth.
So anyway, back ontopic about how illogical life and consciousness is...
lol.nobody ever answered me on: THE SHAPE OF THE UNIVERSE. who wants a shot at it lol
According to m theory it is a series of cubes Razz

P.S. Atleast I remember something about that in M theory from Nova... Laughing
I thought it was an constantly-expanding sphere, wasn't it? Confused
Quote:

According to m theory it is a series of cubes

Explain? pl0x.
All I remember is a visualization of jiggly cubes =P something about maybe gravity seeps into other dimensions/universes
Well, there are three possible shapes to space. Positive curvature (a sphere), no curvature (flat), or negative curvature (a saddle-like shape). There's also the "braneworld" possibility if we're thinking in terms of superstring theory, saying that our universe is just the result of the strings and branes that are 'tethered' to a given 3-brane, which forms our universe (this one provides an interesting idea for why gravity is (comparatively) so weak).
I believe the flat universe is currently most supported by the evidence we have.
EDIT:
Harq, sounds like braneworld to me.
A flat universe would mean two dimensions and pancake people. I assume you mean a bloated disk/plane.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 5 of 7
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours