Check it out here. I found it on Digg, and found it immensely intriguing.
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2001290023-2006410683,,00.html
OMG errr... I mean OMRE!,very interesting o.O
very weird. I don't know what to think.
I think there's three possibilities here:

1. Resurrection or reincarnation of some sort actually exists in a full or limited scale.
2. The parents made this up for publicity
3. Someone else in some way along the chain from the kid to the article's reader is unreliable and made stuff up
4. The kid has an overactive imagination and his brain made "real" some documentary on the area he saw on TV
5. Brainwashed kid?
6. ABDUCTED BY ALIENS! OMG!!!!111!
Indeed. So the chances are that it's not real, but still, it's always nice to think there's something "else" out there...
I can't believe no one has asked about OMRE yet =P
Harq wrote:
I can't believe no one has asked about OMRE yet =P

Quote:
OMRE Organic Moderated Reactor Experiment

Source: http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/OMRE

Whether or not that is what you meant, I don't know, but thats your problem Razz
Oh My Religious Entity!
I don't know if this specific story is true, but I've heard about this kind of thing before. My theory is that your soul is energy and since energy can't really be created or destroyed, maybe it drifts around looking for another body to occupy after you die. And everyone must have a soul because that is where consciousness comes from.
I believe this is a combination of #2 and #4. I remember earlier in my life I questioned reincarnation and if I had lived past lives that I just couldn't remember. I remember trying to remember (stay with me here) past lives, but being unsuccessful. I came to the conclusion that either reincarnation wasn't true, or you somehow forgot everything about your past lives. I remember leaning more towards the latter (I'm thinking I was 8-13 years old), but have since swayed dramatically towards the former. Of course I recognize the fact that my mind could be concocting this memory as I read this story, but I do sincerely remember this.

What I'm getting at is that I believe that many people like to toy with the idea that they lived a past life. It comforts people about death, and it explains life before death. But are we really stuck in this infinite loop of life, death, life... I'll leave that for you to decide.

I think that in this article, and the others that this documentary are about, the parents have decided that this occurrence could be lucrative and have exploited their children's innocence. Shame on them!
Who says consciousness requires a soul? Your brain is an organic processor, and you are a byproduct of sensory input, which is why babies act alike, they are a "clean slate" before they start to accumulate memories/feelings that will ultimately determine their personality

My theory is that the soul is a man made concept in a pathetic attempt to justifies man's existence. Ditto for god and religion, which is why religion has had to evolve. Who would believe in a sun god when science has proven it to be a ball of gas? Look throughout history, and you will always see gods representing unknowns to man. The god(s) of today are no different - they/he/she/it now represent the unknowns of creation and man's existance
Kllrnohj wrote:
Who says consciousness requires a soul? Your brain is an organic processor, and you are a byproduct of sensory input, which is why babies act alike, they are a "clean slate" before they start to accumulate memories/feelings that will ultimately determine their personality

My theory is that the soul is a man made concept in a pathetic attempt to justifies man's existence. Ditto for god and religion, which is why religion has had to evolve. Who would believe in a sun god when science has proven it to be a ball of gas? Look throughout history, and you will always see gods representing unknowns to man. The god(s) of today are no different - they/he/she/it now represent the unknowns of creation and man's existance

I agree 110%.

I even read an article in a science magazine once that said almost exactly what you just did about the soul being a man made concept created by man, and that it's all just chemical reactions in the brain.

I would go further to say that I disagree with the entire idea of unfalsifiability. Religion and dogmatic belief in general is fine to think about as being cool, but to devote your life around it, or to make decisions based upon it is stupid. Everything that we accept as true should be able to be tested, and should never be wrong based on these tests. If it can't be proved right or wrong, then how can we accept it as right?

Sure, one could argue that this is the reason that religion evolves. We have proved many forms of it as wrong, and so it adapts. But the difference between science and religion in this respect is that where science changes because new information is proven to be true, religion changes because old information was proved to be false.

The birth and continuity of religion can be summarized as this: We feel a need to understand the universe and all questions at every moment. We have not yet had the capability to answer all of these. We invent answers that please us in the present. Tada, religion is born. Some of these beliefs are proven wrong. New beliefs are created based on the current knowledge that explains what's left of the unknown. Loop Until All Answers = Solved.

Relations of answers solved to time is like the graph of Answers=Sqr(t) to me. As time approaches infinity we will approach infinite knowledge, but it will require lots more time as we approach this infinite knowledge to advance a little further.

Wow, what a rant. Very Happy
It's interesting that we should have this discussion, as I've been doing a lot of pondering about time, the nature of sentience / self-consciousness, etc. I have alternately convinced myself that the consciousness is a product of past memories and experiences, and that there's something else transcending the sum of its parts (a "soul" if you will) that may or may not be immutable. Carry on; I'll interject when I see enough opinions from which to draw a concensus.
Ok, please don't take offense to what I'm going to say. This is as candid as I can be, and I will not talor my thoughts to not offend anyone. Read at your own risk.

I've realized that the more deeply I analyze life and learn more and more about it, the less I begin to trust its existence at all. In fact, at one point I had scared myself into thinking that I didn't exist at all. Watch South Park Episode 402 if you want a full description of my feelings at the time (watch what Kyle goes through). However, I have finally convinced myself that I am something, by remembering the saying, "I think, therefore I am."

I still find it funny how a child can accept reality as it is. My view of life then, however innocent and untrue was far easier to cope with and live in. As I've grown mentally and physically, I've been able to cope with less pleasant realities and abstractions, and accepted different definitions for life. Although these are less comforting, I feel a need to believe in them because I find them to be closer to "the truth." Perhaps we all need to find a balance between what we can accept life as and what life actually is. From this conclusion, I would infer that religion is for the weak: those who can cope with little abstraction.
Chip, if ever you think you don't exist, take a bat and whack yourself in the balls - you will quickly realize you do, in fact, exist, as there is no way your brain (or spirit if you are being abstract) would inflict such excruciating pain upon yourself. Whew, that was simple Very Happy

Accepting reality as it is is easy, hence why children can accept it so readily. The problem comes when trying to accept reality as it isn't, aka, that there is a reason or justification for why we are here. Children do not care why or how they were born, just that they were and that they can play and have fun. It is the adult brain that must have answers, and religion serves to be that unknown 'x' for some people

The solution for that problem is simple, don't think about it Very Happy It is like trying to solve the equation x = 1/0. No matter how long you look at it, you will never get the answer (without just making one up - which is what religion is). So the solution is quite simply x = unknown. Spend any more time on it and you are only wasting time
Kllrnohj wrote:
Chip, if ever you think you don't exist, take a bat and whack yourself in the balls - you will quickly realize you do, in fact, exist, as there is no way your brain (or spirit if you are being abstract) would inflict such excruciating pain upon yourself. Whew, that was simple Very Happy

Accepting reality as it is is easy, hence why children can accept it so readily. The problem comes when trying to accept reality as it isn't, aka, that there is a reason or justification for why we are here. Children do not care why or how they were born, just that they were and that they can play and have fun. It is the adult brain that must have answers, and religion serves to be that unknown 'x' for some people

You're misunderstanding what I mean. I'm not only questioning physical existence, but existence at all. I am really a human that exists on a planet that is rotating around a star in a galaxy in a universe etc etc, or do I think I am.

Kllrnohj wrote:
The solution for that problem is simple, don't think about it Very Happy It is like trying to solve the equation x = 1/0. No matter how long you look at it, you will never get the answer (without just making one up - which is what religion is). So the solution is quite simply x = unknown. Spend any more time on it and you are only wasting time

Interesting. I'm somewhat compelled to agree with you there, in that it is a waste of time, but what other purpose is there in life? Is our only goal to produce and generate wealth for ourselves? I find it much more fulfilling to ponder over what I am, and what life is in a completely non-religious way.
Chipmaster wrote:
You're misunderstanding what I mean. I'm not only questioning physical existence, but existence at all. I am really a human that exists on a planet that is rotating around a star in a galaxy in a universe etc etc, or do I think I am.

And if you have no existence, how can you ponder whether or not you have an existence?

Quote:
Interesting. I'm somewhat compelled to agree with you there, in that it is a waste of time, but what other purpose is there in life? Is our only goal to produce and generate wealth for ourselves? I find it much more fulfilling to ponder over what I am, and what life is in a completely non-religious way.

To have fun. To create memories. To have an effect on PEOPLE. There is no grand scheme, so don't worry about it, and don't try to force one. Focus, instead, on the little things. For example, I love driving, so rather than question what lead to the invention of the automobile, I settle with being glad that it happened (obviously this is a bit of a simplification compared to life, but I think it serves as a valid comparison nonetheless) "Never look a gift horse in the mouth" Smile

There is nothing more than wealth, but wealth of *what* is the question. Would you rather be wealthy in money or friends or memories or etc...

Or are you unable to cope with the concept of there being no point to life at all? If so, religion can help you there Razz
Kllrnohj wrote:
Chipmaster wrote:

And if you have no existence, how can you ponder whether or not you have an existence?

Thus my conclusion "I think, there for I am." However, that does not say who I am, what reality is or if it exists or if there is anything. Sure I sense things, but does that mean that this reality exist? Am I not dreaming this? Is there not more abstraction to existence than light energizing the evolution and assimilation of atoms on a sphere of gravitationally attracted particles that orbits a central gravitational point in a three-dimensial universe? I've read many SCIENTIFIC articles that argue for much higher dimensions in the universe, and not just ones related to time. Could we not be "flat-landers" in a much more abstract and amazing universe.

I'm not suggesting we find a religious answer, but I believe discussing these possibilities is a must. I don't necessarily put any belief into any specific subsets of this belief, but I definitely believe there could be more to this existence than meets the eyes, nose, mouth, ears, and skin.

Kllrnohj wrote:
Quote:

To have fun. To create memories. To have an effect on PEOPLE. There is no grand scheme, so don't worry about it, and don't try to force one. Focus, instead, on the little things. For example, I love driving, so rather than question what lead to the invention of the automobile, I settle with being glad that it happened (obviously this is a bit of a simplification compared to life, but I think it serves as a valid comparison nonetheless) "Never look a gift horse in the mouth" Smile

There is nothing more than wealth, but wealth of *what* is the question. Would you rather be wealthy in money or friends or memories or etc...

Or are you unable to cope with the concept of there being no point to life at all? If so, religion can help you there Razz

I do agree with you here on most of your points, except for a couple. Number one, I can cope with life and don't need religion, can you though? You seem to be unwilling to accept the possibility of anything beyond what you can sense. Are you hiding from this reality, when it could definitely be a possibility. Are you not in a sense, following the Kllrnohj religion that states that existance is confined to what you sense?

Also, I disagree with you that we shouldn't ponder over these great questions. I believe it is very important that we do. And you do, too. The very fact that you continue to make posts in this topic indicates that you are extracting some wealth from the topic (because all human actions are governed by greed (not necessarily monetary)). Pwnt!
One of the things that bothers me is our inability to experience anything other than "now". Is this truly a physical limitation of our universe's makeup, or is there some other factor contributing?

One of the things that intrigues me is the lack of magnetic monopoles in our universe. The physics is set up perfectly for them, but they can't be found. For some reason this makes me think we're some kind of "computer" program (of course not in the sense we'd think of it) that someone managed to omit some code from).

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 7
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours