I finally got a good stable idea, knowledge, and the resources to reopen Forum OS. I have not long ago started production on this, and with the attribution to Dynamic Drive's awesome scripts, I got a small script that is VERY easily changeable and usable with Forum OS. Productions started today on the 16th of December, and I expect immediate results in both Database production and visual production. Hopefully with my recent finds and learned knowledge, I can really zoom through this and make the first version of Forum OS.

Anyone care to help me out?

I am might need some help along the way, and though I love to do all the work in my projects because of the enjoyment of creating websites, I am open entirely to any help with the following areas...
    Login System:
    A few more things need to be done...

Effective and Simple Forum Database layout COMPLETED:
    Just an idea on were to put what data, no programming needed

Finished Production on Forum OS forum system COMPLETED:
    Needs SQL work, that I have been too lazy to finish myself, and also needs some good customizable styling done to it

And of course, the Forum OS main screen COMPLETED:
    I pretty much have this area covered, but if you volunteer for this job, I might be able to give you a job here and there.
    This is a good job for those who want to help but are too busy.

Please help out if you can, and I hope to have this done in a good amount of time.

Current F-OS Project Members:
    Elfprince - Login System
    Swivelgames - F-OS Main Structure

Please feel free to post in here about the project, and if you want to help out with it.

::EDIT::
All we need now is some EXTREMELY basic user functions.
I have finished alot of work, and updated the list above.

I have worked hard, and have gotten REALLY far.

I just need to add a bit of different things, like make
the recent posts update in the applications menu and
on the desktop, and alot of other basic SQL/PHP work.

For any of those who want to test it out, heres a link...Hope you like it how it is right now, and if any would like to help out, that
would be great. As you can see, we need a little bit of work on the login
script, but I think that will be done by tomorrow or the day after.
(I got monday off Razz )

Also, I _really badly_ need help with IE compatibility. I have no clue why,
but anytime I run the script, it works untill I log in, then it loads the page
and then clears everything it has displayed... the page just goes blank! I
have tried to find out what IE doesn't like about what is being displayed,
but right now I have no luck. I have a feeling its a CSS problem, and I will
keep looking, but please help.
I say that its extremely well done!
*bow*
Laughing Thanks. I did alot of work on it, and am currently working on it right now.

I also just got rid of a normal bug, when you double click on the icon text it will select the text, but I got rid of that problem.

I just need to add a user database
its kinda weird...when i click on the enlarge button, or if i move the forum window, my firefox window shrinks
Yeah, I am working on that. I am not sure how that problem keeps accoring.
In the latest version of opera, this happens when I log in

Warning: main(main_desktop333.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home3/swivelga/public_html/forums/fos/index.php on line 14

Warning: main(main_desktop333.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home3/swivelga/public_html/forums/fos/index.php on line 14

Warning: main() [function.include]: Failed opening 'main_desktop333.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home3/swivelga/public_html/forums/fos/index.php on line 14
I was probably in the middle of reuploading that file. Try again.
http://www.swivelgames.com/forums/fos/index.php == 404 Not Found error and http://www.swivelgames.com/forums/fos/ == 403 Forbidden (you should really allow access to that so it loads the index.whatever automatically)
Hmm... I really have no clue why its not allowing you to view it, I tried both
http://www.swivelgames.com/forums/fos/
and http://www.swivelgames.com/forums/fos/index.php and it worked. I goto the directory all the time instead of directly to the index.php file all the time. Its just easiest.

Its probably again, I was editing. I will move a copy of the files to another folder for editing so there can be a version thats never being edited Wink

Try again later maybe kllrnohj? Smile
this appears to be some truly excellent AJAX/javascript work swivel, keep up the great work.
Impressive! You've made a lot of progress since I last looked at it.
Thanks alot guys Laughing

I have been working on a registration form, and I think I am going to make the login form a bit brighter. Razz
Btw, I just fixed the restore bug. It wont make the browser maximized or restored anymore Very Happy

I am also almost done with the registration form, just got a little more to go Wink
Please don't doublepost; I'd expect you of all people to know that by now.

Congrats and stuff.
Ok, here are my first impressions. Looks cool and unique, but ultimately fails to actually be USABLE (as in why should I give up speed and tab support to get a forum inserted into a window that I can't maximize, thus wasting space?) - tends to feel like a gimmick

Suggestions:
1) window decorations - BORING. Is this supposed to look like windows 95? Come on, now, jazz em up!
2) window buttons - the 'blinds' button (that shrinks it to just the title bar) should toggle (not just shrink it), and the 'restore' button should be a maximize/restore toggle
3) single click to launch on the "desktop" (yes double-click is the windows standard, but single-click is the internet standard. Awkward to have to switch between the two)
4) have some sort of tray at the bottom or top that lists open windows, and make it easier to create new windows from within the forum window

Bugs:
1) its showing a move icon, not a resize icon, when doing a resize (corner-drag)
2) window-drag code breaks if the mouse leaves the window decorations (meaning you can't drag it fast or it stops dragging - highly annoying for vertical movement)
3) disable right-clicking (or filter it - not sure what is and isn't possible with javascript) to prevent opening in new window and opening in new tabs (preferably implementing this in FOS so that I can still open new windows in FOS)
Thanks kllrnohj. I know of alot of these bugs, and I was just recently looking up right click functions in JS, and will be very possible to do it cross-browser compatible.

Also, haven't gotten to do much with all the styles, but I have gone back and changed some stuff in the windows, I will eventually get to the style, I just wanted something simple for now. I have also been finding ways to dock the windows instead of just make them smaller Wink

Thanks again for the feedback kllrnohj.

*Kerm, sorry about the double post. I was busy with alot of stuff, not including the project, didn't realize I had another post. I assure you my other post was not purposely ignored. Wont happen again.*

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours