If any of you enjoy a good RPG and wouldn't mind helping me debug an issue, then I could use your help.

http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/230/23047.html

This is my oldest published game available on the internet. This was my second ever serious game I constructed. It has since received numerous upgrades to the coding, but the overall core of the game never really changed.

The known problem with this game is that somewhere in the 6 'areas' (something like 72 'rooms' I think) is a glitch.

What I need from someone is to play through this game. I know it isn't in the first map area or the dungeon that goes along with it. I remember that much. I am fairly certain it isn't in the second world map, but I cannot remember about the dungeon.

A person would have to go through each room on this game to play. It would be highly recommended that you save when you enter each room, so you can go back to playing once you have identified the problem area. All it is is a room has an opening that it shouldn't have.

If someone is able to find this room, I would just need you to press ON to exit the game, and give me the values of variables E and F right after that. This would let me know where to look and help me apply a fix much faster. I will probably have to apply this to all versions of the game that spans 5 graphing calculator models, but that would be really simple and fast to do once done.

Any help you could provide would be awesome. I have tried to play through it myself, but I keep getting pulled back to pokemon as everyone wants me to finish it, but I really would like to see AOD as 100% completed.

Thanks in advanced.
It immediately occurs to me that I could help by modifying the code to autosave on each room-enter, and perhaps automatically advanced to each subsequent room to make the testing faster. I'll see what I can do for you. Smile
Yeah, I had a thought this morning that I could just write up a program that would just go through the maps and view them. I might end up just doing that, save everyone time. Would be nice to see what people think of the game though, for something that was my first released :p
tifreak8x wrote:
Yeah, I had a thought this morning that I could just write up a program that would just go through the maps and view them. I might end up just doing that, save everyone time. Would be nice to see what people think of the game though, for something that was my first released :p
Definitely; I'm planning on giving it a try either way. If you don't get to the automation soon, I'll definitely try to dive into the code and do it for you.
Alright, I took the time to make a program to just scan through the maps. It is a bit of a hack job, but it gets it done. Using it, I determined.. there are no issues. the maps are exactly as I have them on paper (from 98, yes, I still have all those notes)

At this point.. I just need someone to play the game, see if they can find it. If it is not something that is messed up in map data, it might be something that is messed up in the game engine, I am not sure. Otherwise, I deem this project 100% completed. At least on the 83+ line.
Awesome! Good for you for taking the time to make the testbed that we had discussed and giving it a try, although I'm a tad disappointed that it found no problems. Hopefully someone gets a chance to play it and try to track down the problems.
Is this still in need of being test-played? Or did someone find the problem?

If it needs to be played, I will give it a try (and go through every room).
Beta7 wrote:

No one has played it through as far as I know. I crated a viewer specific to the game's maps and had no problems. If you want to play through it, that would be awesome of you.
tifreak8x wrote:
Beta7 wrote:

No one has played it through as far as I know. I crated a viewer specific to the game's maps and had no problems. If you want to play through it, that would be awesome of you.
To second that, I've been trying to make the time but have failed to do so, so if you could do that I'm sure you would be doing tifreak8x a great service. Smile
Okay, will get started on it this afternoon/evening. Wink

Just wondering, tifreak - how long is the game (worlds/rooms/general time/whatever)? I like to budget time, so I just need to know how late I'm staying up for the next couple of nights. Laughing
It's not a horribly huge game, but I would recommend saving often, some of those baddies are quite strong and can wipe you out with no problem. I think if I sat down to just play it, it would take less than 4 hours? I honestly don't know.
tifreak8x wrote:
It's not a horribly huge game, but I would recommend saving often, some of those baddies are quite strong and can wipe you out with no problem. I think if I sat down to just play it, it would take less than 4 hours? I honestly don't know.
You could always give him so inside tips towards boosting his health and weapons artificially... Wink
Okay - I shall give it a try tonight. Wink

Is there anything specific I need to watch for, other than a room with a door that leads nowhere?
KermMartian wrote:
tifreak8x wrote:
You could always give him so inside tips towards boosting his health and weapons artificially... Wink

Good Idea
Nope, that seems to be the only error.

As to hp boosting and the like, that takes away the fun, since I need to know what he thinks of the game as it stands :p
tifreak8x wrote:
Nope, that seems to be the only error.

As to hp boosting and the like, that takes away the fun, since I need to know what he thinks of the game as it stands :p
Haha, that makes sense. Smile I'll also be looking forward to seeing his thoughts, and I'll still hope to get the time to play through this one day.
That would be awesome, could always use a few more bits of feedback for this ancient game.
tifreak8x wrote:
That would be awesome, could always use a few more bits of feedback for this ancient game.
What do you plan to do with the feedback, other than fixing up that suspected bug, if it exists? Do you have any other plans for tweaks or improvements before re-releasing it?