Lately, many of you have wondered about the present and future state of Cemetech. Let's start with the past, and why many of you cannot find your old posts, topics, and sometimes even accounts. If you check out the Cemetech history page, you'll see that we were hosted for the past two years by Jatol, which had been around for a while and seemed like a relatively reliable host. On September 1, 2007, some of Jatol's clients started to experience intermittent outages and downtime; unfortunately, Cemetech was among the last affected, so I didn't hear about the problems soon enough to generate an up-to-date backup. When Cemetech finally went down completely, I searched the internet, only to find a Slashdot article about Jatol disappearing entirely, stranding thousands of customers. I waited a week, then brought Cemetech back on SurpassHosting. The bad part is that I had gotten complacent with Jatol's reliability and hadn't performed a full backup including databases since June 27th, 2007. I had a full file backup of the current iteration of Cemetech, but as the databases are stored separately, about four thousand posts, twenty members, and around two hundred thousand words were lost.

Now, onto the future. The keen-eyed among you have doubtless noticed beta.cemetech.net progressing gradually over the past few months as I find time to work on it between my schoolwork and other projects. The idea is a semi-complete rewrite of the site; technically it's Cemetech 6.2, built to make all site pages run off the phpBB templating system for more flexibility than the current Cemetech4 (CemetechLite) / Cemetech5 site. I've also been building a few extra scripts and features, as well as formatting pages to work on a wider variety of resolutions. It looks passable on 800x600 and is also readable and functional on my new 3,342x1,024 triple-head workstation. I will be completing the remainder of beta.cemetech.net over the next month or two, then bringing it live; I will disable support for Cemetech4 and Cemetech5 when I do so to avoid having to parallel support two different site schemes. Feel free to post in the associated topic with bug reports concerning the resurrected site (for example, databases or projects that still don't work), comments on beta, or general comments on the past and future of Cemetech.
KermMartian wrote:
It looks ok to my on 800x600, and it also is readable and functional on my new 3,342x1,024 triple-head workstation.

I know you can proof read better than that Very Happy

Sucks that Jatol disappeared... No sign anywhere of what happened?

On the upside, maybe you will make it automatically do a full post backup every week now Smile
Hey, where did all this information come from? I just recognized that all the previous news that was here before the missing hoster became missing? Whats up? Did Kerm find a cache or something?
Angel14995 wrote:
Hey, where did all this information come from? I just recognized that all the previous news that was here before the missing hoster became missing? Whats up? Did Kerm find a cache or something?
I quickly grabbed the Google cache of the front page before it managed to cache the Invisionfree forum, so I was able to get the frontpage news back. I also grabbed the forum index and own profile pages so I'll be able to cheat the topic, post, and wordcounts for the site.
Now while you are thinking about it make an automated backup solution - there is cron support in the cPanel Wink
Kerm you still haven't removed the non working cemtech6 thing for the forum style option in the profile editor. So I need you to change mine back and fix the issue for once and for all.
Not all of the updated topics are showing up.
MetalRandomist wrote:
Not all of the updated topics are showing up.
OK, seriously, stop with the avatars. And what do you mean about the topics?
TheStorm wrote:
Kerm you still haven't removed the non working cemtech6 thing for the forum style option in the profile editor. So I need you to change mine back and fix the issue for once and for all.

bump I'm not sure if you saw this Kerm but please fix it so I'm not stuck with beta.cemetech.net
Oh yeah I forgot avatars aren't auto-resized here.
When ever you go to the new topics, none or not very many show up, but when you look in SAX, there could be a whole bunch that got updated/created.
MetalRandomist wrote:
Oh yeah I forgot avatars aren't auto-resized here.
When ever you go to the new topics, none or not very many show up, but when you look in SAX, there could be a whole bunch that got updated/created.
That's because the missing topics are OTBP topics, mostly.
If you think that's bad, imagine what'd happen if MY forum were connected to tiSAX. You'd see so many "[username] added a post in...."s and spam comments, I'd get permabanned from tiSAX in a heartbeat! Razz
Or get 1000 times the traffic...... >>*;
which, fyi, is why I'm NOT asking Kerm to add me...... Seriously, it's all SPAM now. I should just restart from scratch or something.....
KeithJohansen wrote:
If you think that's bad, imagine what'd happen if MY forum were connected to tiSAX. You'd see so many "[username] added a post in...."s and spam comments, I'd get permabanned from tiSAX in a heartbeat! Razz
which, fyi, is why I'm NOT asking Kerm to add me...... Seriously, it's all SPAM now. I should just restart from scratch or something.....
Or you could add antispam stuff, as I did here. Razz
he might have a popular spam section on his board of something though.
KeithJohansen wrote:
Keith, you really should stop humiliating your loyal users over at UnSyntax Software Forums, it's only bad rep for it. Would you should do is attract more active users to the site by having them click here:
Oh cool, I love broken images. Very Happy
KermMartian wrote:

Holy necropost, batman... Seriously though, what was the point of that post?
Kllrnohj wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Holy necropost, batman... Seriously though, what was the point of that post?
Two-fold. One, to generate a bit of activity, and two, to point out to anyone that cared that Unsyntax Software was down.
If anyone cared, they would have noticed by trying to visit the site.
Xphoenix wrote:
If anyone cared, they would have noticed by trying to visit the site.
It's because Alex (and his subdomains) got hit by that script kiddie earlier in the month.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours