The setup can only detect the battery levels based on screen contrast. Not a bug, hardware limitation.
I think there is a way to detect the actual battery level in ASM, but not accurately. IIRC, one ASM utility just returned 0 or 1 in ans if the battery was low or high.
tifreak8x wrote:
The setup can only detect the battery levels based on screen contrast. Not a bug, hardware limitation.

Why does screen contrast do this? And what contrast level should I have my calc set on?
DJ_O wrote:
I never had such problem happening.

It happened just yesterday. I opened DCS, opened a source file, exited immediately, and it was gone. Luckily, I had the backup.
princetonlion.tibd wrote:
tifreak8x wrote:

Why does screen contrast do this? And what contrast level should I have my calc set on?

This is because the battery indicator is not really a battery voltage meter, it is more of a battery "usage" display. The contrast level is just another way to see how much power your calculator is drawing, in a way. If you are really concerned about knowing the precise voltage across your battery array, simply connect a hardwired meter to it. Smile Good question, though; I feel that a reasonable contrast somewhere in the 5 reange is usually ideal. Good luck!

Eightx84 wrote:
DJ_O wrote:
I never had such problem happening.

It happened just yesterday. I opened DCS, opened a source file, exited immediately, and it was gone. Luckily, I had the backup.

What other particulars did you have when this occured?
Having a string function that removes characters from the left or right side of a string would be nice. I understand you can do:
Code:
1→X //# chars to be removed from right
sub(Str1,1,length(Str1)-X)→Str1
and to remove characters from the left you could do:
Code:
1→X
sub(Str1,X,length(Str1))→Str1
but having a "StrRemoveRight( string, #_characters, [dest_string])" and "StrRemoveLeft" command would be awesome.
willwac wrote:
Having a string function that removes characters from the left or right side of a string would be nice. I understand you can do:
Code:
1→X //# chars to be removed from right
sub(Str1,1,length(Str1)-X)→Str1
and to remove characters from the left you could do:
Code:
1→X
sub(Str1,X,length(Str1))→Str1
but having a "StrRemoveRight( string, #_characters, [dest_string])" and "StrRemoveLeft" command would be awesome.

Perhaps something similar for lists too; deltaLst( and cumSum( waste precious time.
willwac wrote:
Having a string function that removes characters from the left or right side of a string would be nice.
KermMartian wrote:
You're really not getting the whole "no new features" concept very well, I'm afraid. The bottom line is that while I have had a great deal of fun over the past 12 years creating Doors CS, it has reached a point in its features and stability that it's not worth my time to continue to expand and improve it. Doors CSE is under more active development, but even that will not be getting huge new features. Real life takes too much time for me to dump massive effort into relatively low-impact additions.
In that case, this topic should be locked, eh?
At this point, it's about progress on bugs, not new features, since there won't be any, so no, the topic doesn't need to be locked.
Kerm Martian wrote:
Quote:

You're really not getting the whole "no new features" concept very well, I'm afraid. The bottom line is that while I have had a great deal of fun over the past 12 years creating Doors CS, it has reached a point in its features and stability that it's not worth my time to continue to expand and improve it. Doors CSE is under more active development, but even that will not be getting huge new features. Real life takes too much time for me to dump massive effort into relatively low-impact additions.

Kerm, I understand there will be no new features, but think about this. Most high school-ers (probably college students, too.) still use the ti-83+ and ti-84+ family calculators, and it would be nice if it had new features, such as the ones previously mentioned. I think this is your intended audience. (Only trouble is, I'm the only one in my school who uses my calculator as an in-depth programming interface. It's a big school, too.) So, please consider this thought.
I feel that the current feature set (other than perhaps strupping out the mouse and/or integrating TabFuncs) is more than adequate for its users. It gets about 300 downloads a week on ticalc.org, only a little bit below Doors CSE, so I must be doing something right.
Out of curiosity Kerm, if you did not have to worry about space constraints or real life issues, what features would you like to add to Doors CS
ordelore wrote:
Out of curiosity Kerm, if you did not have to worry about space constraints or real life issues, what features would you like to add to Doors CS
That's a rather excellent question, and I applaud you for asking something so insightful. Smile There's really two different answers to those, falling under (1) things that in an ideal world I'd like to show off with and (2) things that I realistically think users would use. For the first category, I'd like to continue to show off just how powerful graphing calculator software can be, so I'd ideally like to continue to improve Doors CS's networking and UI features. Now that I have 5+ years of experience using the Doors CS GUI API myself and helping other people use it, I feel like there are a few design decisions that I'd make differently in a new version of the GUI API. If I could build in support for compression of all sorts from the ground up, I think that would be really cool. Finally, and this is the most farfetched, I'd toy with making a Doors OS. I believe I have the knowledge and experience with computer operating systems and with the calculators to making a successful OS project that could surpass the existing third-party OSes, but I continue to be realistic about the fact that 99.9% of calculator users will never have a non-TI-OS on their calculators.

For more realistic things that I'd do with infinite time, I think it might not be to work on a current version of Doors CS for z80 calculators at all. I think it would be to pursue the latent plans for my own independent graphing calculator designed especially for engineers, and since this discussion is software, it would be to design software for such a calculator that could tightly integrate the extra hardware I envision such a calculator having with its software.
MateoConLechuga wrote:
What other particulars did you have when this occured?

Nothing really, just a few files, and nothing dangerous happening.

Kerm, I've also noticed that the ALPHA-lock in the 8-line editor goes only 7 lines down (or up, if your cursor is on the bottom line)
Eightx84 wrote:
Kerm, I've also noticed that the ALPHA-lock in the 8-line editor goes only 7 lines down (or up, if your cursor is on the bottom line)

Not a bug, the TI-OS's editor is still being used and it is used to scrolling by seven lines. All Doors CS does is add the extra line and nothing (I think) else.
I have seen that. It just hides the name line, if I'm not mistaken.
Eightx84 wrote:

This sounds slightly like a bug, but more so like a feature request. It could probably be done. But it's a feature request, so it'll never happen! Muahahaha.
Runer112 wrote:
Eightx84 wrote:

This sounds slightly like a bug, but more so like a feature request. It could probably be done. But it's a feature request, so it'll never happen! Muahahaha.
It indeed will not. I don't have the space to add the hook and logic to override the OS's alpha-scrolling behavior in Doors CS 7. Seven lines of scrolling is fine.
I would like it if DCS had the ability to use layouts and re-added support for ALE's.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 41, 42, 43  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 42 of 43
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours