hi all,
so i bought a casio cg 20 a while ago, because it was cheaper than the cg 50. however, there is no python add-in and on the newer cg50 it's within the OS, not a seperate add-in, so can't transfer it.

so, my question is, can update the cg-20 OS to the version on the cg-50? (i believe it's ver 3.60). the official updater doesnt work, but maybe someone's made one?
or, has someones made their own python add-in (there was one for my monochrome calc, not seen a colour one tho)
thanks
ps hope this is the right place to post this, it looks like it is
I don't know a whole lot about Casio calculators, but I'm fairly sure you can't. It'd be a hardware issue, not software. My guess (and keep in mind that this is all speculation on my part) is that the cg20 isn't your choice of fast enough, new enough, sandboxed enough, or expensive enough to run Python. Not sure which. At any rate, learning to code things for the cg20 is fairly easy (I'm assuming your intention is learning Python and/or programming in general) so you shouldn't have too much trouble working within the sandbox. Hope this helps!
Unfortunately, it's not possible, although I'm not sure that the issue isn't just that Casio didn't feel like backporting it to the fx-CG20 (the hardware is not that different between the fx-CG20 and 50). There's both Casio BASIC and C programmability available for the fx-CG20, though, so as darkwater4213 said, you have options! We've also had fledgling projects to port other languages to the fx-CG20 (e.g. Lua, via a project of mine called LuaZM), so it would be interesting to explore if MicroPython could be made to fit on the fx-CG20.
thanks, shame that as the hardware is pretty much identical as you mentioned, KermMartian. i mainly wanted it to make a couple programs to do my homework... i had c.basic on my monochrome calc as well, and its great, wasnt aware i could get it on a cg! dont really want to have to program on a computer then move it across (sheer laziness) so as far as im aware, C is out.

also, side note, the only hardware differences between the cg20 and 9750GII i've seen are
1) the screen (obviously)
2) an extra capacitor-looking thing
3) the reset button being moved...
and all the relatively recent monochrome calcs (SH4) seem to have identical hardware - casio seem to love making the same calc with a different case and model name...
I never used KhiCAS in my life except calculating some stuff, but the fx-CG10 and fx-CG20 version from 2019 supports both Xcas and Python syntax. I don't know if it can actually run python programs files or only typing calculations/graphing, though, but maybe you could check KhiCAS out? https://tiplanet.org/forum/archives_voir.php?id=1599842
Seeing this now, and there is some effort on Planète Casio. I've been working on a quick MicroPython port myself, which is now working decently, and Bernard Parisse (the author of KhiCAS) has also extracted his KhiCAS version into a standalone add-in. Both are in this topic: https://www.planet-casio.com/Fr/forums/topic17202-1-teaser-pythonextra.html (my version is on the repository, Bernard Parisse's is in the latest comment as of today).

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours