Login [Register]
Don't have an account? Register now to chat, post, use our tools, and much more.

Will North Korea test nukes?
Yes
 72%  [ 24 ]
No
 3%  [ 1 ]
They're bluffing
 24%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 33

What's everyone's input?
They already tested the missiles, and we think they have nukes, so what's going to stop them? They're certainly not listening to the US or the UN so far...
I am thinking we should "test" ours on them... :/
I agree. Also, they claim to have them if I recall.
Seems we all think North Korea's going to test their nukes ph43r

Here we go...
They probably will though I'm not really concerned. The United States has the biggest stockpile of nuclear, and I believe chemical, weapons. It's not smart to get into a nuclear war with us.
Sage Orator wrote:
They probably will though I'm not really concerned. The United States has the biggest stockpile of nuclear, and I believe chemical, weapons. It's not smart to get into a nuclear war with us.


and one is missing

I think they will definately test them, but use them? no, if they attacked pretty much any country around their they can be obliterated by the us in minutes

P.S. I seemt o remember some movie a while ago and the post had something like
"500 nuclear missiles, 1 is missing"
as its main line Evil or Very Mad
Japan also doesn't exactly have a long record of being kind to Koreans.
Sage Orator wrote:
They probably will though I'm not really concerned. The United States has the biggest stockpile of nuclear, and I believe chemical, weapons. It's not smart to get into a nuclear war with us.


You do realize that the EARTH IN ITS ENTIRETY won't stand a chance if any sort of nuclear war breaks out? It doesn't matter who has the most, all that will matter is which country is dumb enough to actually use one as an offensive weapon...
Quote:
I think they will definately test them, but use them? no, if they attacked pretty much any country around their they can be obliterated by the us in minutes


But they could sell nukes to terrorists, and we all know how Bush feels on that...
You realize that Russia is missing briefcase nukes, don't you? And that the mexican border patrols detected radioactive materials crossing the border, though didn't try to stop it until it was already gone... :/
Yeah there are plenty of potential problems with that kind of thing. That's a major reason for why Russia isn't closer to us.

...Are you speaking of individual countries not surviving or the earth itself? There would be a definite winner of nuclear war because of the amount that the US has as well as the defense systems that we have. The Cold War made us paranoid enough to probably be able to withstand an actual one. As for the earth itself, it will not really have an effect upon the environment in the long term. It may advance the current problems that global warming causes but not much more.
Quote:
As for the earth itself, it will not really have an effect upon the environment in the long term.


Laughing If you blow up the environment, I'd consider that long-term...
Especially wen blowing up the enviroment and making the place radioactive and unliveable in... Rolling Eyes
Sage Orator wrote:
...Are you speaking of individual countries not surviving or the earth itself? There would be a definite winner of nuclear war because of the amount that the US has as well as the defense systems that we have. The Cold War made us paranoid enough to probably be able to withstand an actual one. As for the earth itself, it will not really have an effect upon the environment in the long term. It may advance the current problems that global warming causes but not much more.


Not a single person who isn't in a bunker hundreds of feet below the surface would survive. And what do you mean no long term damage? Japan was still feeling the effects of the nuclear bombing on two of their cities over 50 years later - thats a pretty long time Rolling Eyes

Also remember that a nuke blowing up in the sky above the US is just as, if not worse, than one blowing up on the ground. The wind currents would scatter radioactive poisening for miles and miles - the blast itself would effect up to 15 miles (depending on the bomb) immediately. Add some wind currents and you are looking at a hell of a range. Not only would this destory human life, but ALL life, making resotration of the atmosphere and life as we know it impossilbe (or at least nearly impossible) There would potentially also be things like Nuclear Winter, followed by Nuclear summer - so you better have a very well stocked bunker if you want to survive a nuclear war...

And lets not forget hydrogen bombs, which are much more powerful than atomic bombs - with an h-bomb having the power of up to 50 million tons of TNT compared to an a-bombs max of 500,000 tons of TNT

So in short, no one would win. The amount that the US has is overkill. You wouldn't even need that many nukes to wipe out the planet completely. A nuclear war isn't one that will be determined by who has the most. And as far as I know, there is no possible defense against a nuclear weapon. Currently it is possible to "shoot down" missles with lasers, by causing them to denote in the air - which wouldn't work at all for a nuke, as detonation of a nuke is bad, regardless of its location
very true, if we wanted to take out a nuke missile, we would have to find a way to make the missile fall and possibly detonate in the ocean (and I am talking at depths to where the effect on life down there is minimal).
rivereye wrote:
very true, if we wanted to take out a nuke missile, we would have to find a way to make the missile fall and possibly detonate in the ocean (and I am talking at depths to where the effect on life down there is minimal).


Detonating the ocean is probably out as well, as I'd guess that would generate a pretty large tsunami... (just what I'd guess, however, I'm not too certain on that)

BUT we could catch it in a giant net that is hung between two jet fighters! Laughing

EDIT: Hmm... If we could get a massively powerful laser on a satelite, I guess it could become possible to detonate the nukes immediately after a country launched one, so that it would just blow up their silo - that would be a pretty powerful deterrant for nuclear missles. It would, however, require knowledge that a country is launching a nuke, as getting a satelite into position takes time....
good point on the tsunami, but then again, when you are talking the depths I was reffering to, are you going to get that kind of thing. Also, no offense to those who live on a coast, but I would rather the coast get washed away then a nuclear bomb explode on the land mass (wouldn't you agree there?).

A problem with the net is that it would take lots of practice and precission to get done. I am talking Blue Angles level pilots here probably to get this done. Also, what do you do with it once it is caught, and how do you make it so it can't fly through the net, but while making sure the missile doesn't detonate?
Rolling Eyes the net part was a joke Very Happy BUT, you could have a metal alloy chainlink net and just fly with the missle until it runs out of fuel....

I don't think the depth would matter much, as earthquakes in the ocean are what normally cause tsunami's, and since a nuke packs more of a punch than an earthquake, surely it too could cause a tsunami at great depths... But a tsunami of that scale would be pretty devastating as well, remember the one that hit not that long ago?
rivereye wrote:
good point on the tsunami, but then again, when you are talking the depths I was reffering to, are you going to get that kind of thing. Also, no offense to those who live on a coast, but I would rather the coast get washed away then a nuclear bomb explode on the land mass (wouldn't you agree there?).

Deeper is worse. The detonation would displace a HUGE column of water and the shockwave would move it outwards, sending massive tsumanis in all directions. Plus, the detonation could start an earthquake, which could trigger another tsunami. Currently, there is an island off of Africa with a volcano that might threaten to rip apart and have half of it slide into the water, displacing a huge volume of water, all of which turns into a tsumani headed towards the east coast.
  
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 13
» All times are GMT - 5 Hours
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 

Advertisement