Hey there.
I'm soon going to be entering my sophomore year of high school, and was wondering if my schedule was alright. It seems as though none of my friends are taking the same classes, so I was wondering if anyone here might have taken any of these classes or has any advice for a sophomore. Freshman year, I ended up with a 3.9/4.4 GPA. I'm looking for a career in medicine or biotech.

arusher999 wrote:
Hey there.
I'm soon going to be entering my sophomore year of high school, and was wondering if my schedule was alright. It seems as though none of my friends are taking the same classes, so I was wondering if anyone here might have taken any of these classes or has any advice for a sophomore. Freshman year, I ended up with a 3.9/4.4 GPA. I'm looking for a career in medicine or biotech.

This is great! I'm also looking to the same career and I'm currently a senior. I would recommend that you take AP Chemistry as a must as well as crunching on all AP and Dual Credits that your school provides. I assumed from your AP scores that you might want to go to a high end school. If this is the case, I would recommend that you focus and hone your skills to getting a higher GPA. It would be easier for me to give you guidance, if you provided me with SATs scores. So I can tell you what to focus more on! If your not interested in an elite school, then you can definitely get away with 2 APs a year. Also if you want to do any private talking just PM me!
ProgrammerBobSmith wrote:
arusher999 wrote:
Hey there.

This is great! I'm also looking to the same career and I'm currently a senior. I would recommend that you take AP Chemistry as a must as well as crunching on all AP and Dual Credits that your school provides. I assumed from your AP scores that you might want to go to a high end school. If this is the case, I would recommend that you focus and hone your skills to getting a higher GPA. It would be easier for me to give you guidance, if you provided me with SATs scores. So I can tell you what to focus more on! If your not interested in an elite school, then you can definitely get away with 2 APs a year. Also if you want to do any private talking just PM me!

I have only taken the PSAT so far. The GPA was unweighted/weighted btw. My high school is very good and offers many APs, I plan to take much more than 2 next year. My PSAT 8/9 score was a 1380.
No one cares.
MateoConLechuga wrote:
No one cares.

I'm aware, he asked for an SAT score though, so...
arusher999 wrote:
MateoConLechuga wrote:
No one cares.

I'm aware, he asked for an SAT score though, so...

No I mean, no one cares what classes you take in high school for a career. Just have fun.
oh okay lol.
MateoConLechuga wrote:

No I mean, no one cares what classes you take in high school for a career. Just have fun.

If you're applying to elite schools they are going to care about what classes you take. You can have fun as long as it doesn't bring your GPA down. I've been able to maintain a 4.0 GPA (unweighted) and at the same time do a lot of electives and manage lots of clubs. (that's what elite schools are looking for, you have to have lots of electives AND have a really high GPA while also taking lots of AP courses, even Dual Credit if possible). I go to a private school and it offers like 10 AP scores and 10 Dual Credit. Your PSAT 8/9 is not important for colleges, but it shows that you scored in the upper end of the spectrum (personally I haven't taken the PSAT so I can't say anything about it other than your on course for a really good SAT score maybe even a 1600 Razz. I only scored in the 1450-1520 range so you might get a better SAT than me). Also did I mention that you have to score really high on your AP's and take a WIDE variety of them. Overall, I would just focus on getting your GPA to a 4.0 while you have time and doing more extracurriculars. But you're going to do great!
ProgrammerBobSmith wrote:
MateoConLechuga wrote:

If you're applying to elite schools they are going to care about what classes you take. You can have fun as long as it doesn't bring your GPA down. I've been able to maintain a 4.0 GPA (unweighted) and at the same time do a lot of electives and manage lots of clubs. (that's what elite schools are looking for, you have to have lots of electives AND have a really high GPA while also taking lots of AP courses, even Dual Credit if possible). I go to a private school and it offers like 10 AP scores and 10 Dual Credit. Your PSAT 8/9 is not important for colleges, but it shows that you scored in the upper end of the spectrum (personally I haven't taken the PSAT so I can't say anything about it other than your on course for a really good SAT score maybe even a 1600 Razz. I only scored in the 1450-1520 range so you might get a better SAT than me). Also did I mention that you have to score really high on your AP's and take a WIDE variety of them. Overall, I would just focus on getting your GPA to a 4.0 while you have time and doing more extracurriculars. But you're going to do great!

Virtually no job employer will weight the applicant's college among their criterion for hiring. It's essentially a shiny badge publicly displaying your student debt. With that being said, I agree with Mateo. Have fun in high school and take whatever you want. Smile
School isnโ€™t the same as the real worldโ€ฆ it exists in the real world, but it is not the real world.

Do your best, but remember to have fun! You wonโ€™t be in high school forever.
Michael2_3B wrote:
School isnโ€™t the same as the real worldโ€ฆ it exists in the real world, but it is not the real world.

Do your best, but remember to have fun! You wonโ€™t be in high school forever.

Definitely agree! Don't waste your high school years by overkilling on studying. What I really meant by my last post was really I just to know whether he wanted to go to a prestigious college or not. But regardless of whether that's a yes or a no, you should just be yourself in high school. Don't live up to a college or you will never get in.
Hey Arusher, Everything looks great! Keep up the great work!
Alvajoy123 wrote:
Hey Arusher, Everything looks great! Keep up the great work!

Aw, thanks haha!

I am indeed trying to take more fun classes that I actually want to take, like anatomy and physiology but then there's that inherent asian parent pressure to take massive amounts of AP classes (which I don't plan to do).

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours