So I made a mistake when inserting a ►Frac conversion into a program, resulting in the following line(s):

Code:
:A/B->L1(I►Frac
:Disp Ans

Now, this shouldn't have succeeded in displaying A/B as an actual fraction (it's just converting I, an integer, to a fraction...), and yet... it did. Ans was a genuine fraction, despite the token being definitely in the wrong place.

Even stranger, though, is that despite Ans being a fraction, L1(I) is not. ►Dec and its cousins have similar behavior, namely that Ans gets updated somehow after the value is stored properly in the destination. This occurs if called by a program or on the homescreen.

However, there is one remedy to this behavior: if a line like the above is the last line in a program, Ans is not updated. Any other line at all, even one that does not touch Ans, will cause the strange behavior described above.

I have no idea what is going on or if anyone has encountered this before. So if you know or you have, please advise. Thanks.
kg583 wrote:

Now, this shouldn't have succeeded in displaying A/B as an actual fraction (it's just converting I, an integer, to a fraction...), and yet... it did. Ans was a genuine fraction, despite the token being definitely in the wrong place.

Even stranger, though, is that despite Ans being a fraction, L1(I) is not. ►Dec and its cousins have similar behavior, namely that Ans gets updated somehow after the value is stored properly in the destination. This occurs if called by a program or on the homescreen.

This seems like the intended behavior. ►Frac takes what comes before it and converts it to a fraction, and works similarly to the →STO token, in that it waits for what is left of it to be computed before doing the conversion, after the division and →STR. In a similar fashion, L1(I→C stores the content of L1(I) into C, instead of storing I into C

So for your line of code, A is divided by B, that result is stored into L1(I), and then that result is turned into a fraction and stored in Ans.

Also, lists cannot contain fractional forms, they can only contain real and complex decimal numbers.
That's a fair assessment of what >Frac is doing, i.e. behaving like STO.

NoahK wrote:
Also, lists cannot contain fractional forms, they can only contain real and complex decimal numbers.

This, however, is just not true: lists can contain fractional forms just fine. Try it!
mr womp womp wrote:

What did you do to get this?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours