I am looking to buy a cg50 in the very near future. Looking at the minimalistic 16MB of memory, however, has me a bit worried. Surely this can't be enough for everything you would want to use it for? And, is it possible to add external memory?

Thanks!
cg50 wrote:
I am looking to buy a cg50 in the very near future. Looking at the minimalistic 16MB of memory, however, has me a bit worried. Surely this can't be enough for everything you would want to use it for? And, is it possible to add external memory?

Thanks!

Hello!

I own an fx-CG 50AU, which has only 4.5MB of storage, and it's enough space for a few games, a CAS, utilities, a lock addin, and some of the official Casio ones.
Given that the largest an addin can even be is 2MB, I would say that 16MB is plently, but you might disagree (I'm not sure what you plan on putting on there).

Anyway, afaik there isn't an official way, but someone else might know how if you can do it.
And the CE has only 3 MB, and look what everyone’s done with that. You can do pretty much most things with 16 MB, and the stuff you can’t, you will probably go insane trying to do them on a graphing calculator. If you get to a point where only 16 MB won’t cut it for one project, post why.
Oh fair enough, maybe I didn't realise the scale of 16MB when it comes to graphical calculators.

Thanks for everyone's quick and helpful responses!
There isn't any way to add extra memory, but I find 16 MB is quite a lot. Most add-ins/games are a couple hundred kiB, and if you have data files it's usually less than that.

I'm developing quite heavily on my calc and still have usually 6-10 MB free. The only exception is with CGDoom since the WADs can fill up pretty much anything. ^^
Lephe wrote:
There isn't any way to add extra memory, but I find 16 MB is quite a lot. Most add-ins/games are a couple hundred kiB, and if you have data files it's usually less than that.

I'm developing quite heavily on my calc and still have usually 6-10 MB free. The only exception is with CGDoom since the WADs can fill up pretty much anything. ^^

Does CGDoom actually work? All the review says it doesn't
The original port by MPoupe doesn't, but I ported it a while ago (with extra features!). There's this development thread on Cemetech and the bulk of the publication is on Planète Casio. It runs Doom Ultimate and Doom II, and I still want to come back and add more games... sometime, surely. x_x
Lephe wrote:
The original port by MPoupe doesn't, but I ported it a while ago (with extra features!). There's this development thread on Cemetech and the bulk of the publication is on Planète Casio. It runs Doom Ultimate and Doom II, and I still want to come back and add more games... sometime, surely. x_x

Wow... This is amazing! Thanks for showing this to me.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours