I'm still pretty new to all of this, and I'm working on a Fallout 3 port to the TI-84 CE with the CE C toolchain, top down of course. When my code reaches the "ingame" loop, it heavily lags. Is there a way to make it faster? Here's my code: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AiGZAWwkr939LcZTnz7bhsccnLHDxZBx/view?usp=sharing

When the cursor is moved, it lags a ton. I Want less stuttering. I tried ticks, I tried only updating it when sprites are moved, etc. Nothing really works. If it matters, its a Python edition and the program is archived.
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I added a fillscreen command in the runonce statement, but forgot to compile it, so the title screen is visible lol
The gfx_ScaledTransparentSprite_NoClip function is somewhat slow, especially for large sprites. If you're not redrawing the entire screen each frame, I would only display the sprite once, when the screen gets drawn for the first time. You could also just recreate the image using the existing graphics functions, e.g. gfx_FillRectangle_NoClip and gfx_PrintStringXY, instead of sprites, which would also give you a higher resolution.

gfx_BlitBuffer is also inefficient compared to gfx_SwapDraw, since it has to copy the entire screen, so I would switch to buffer swapping if performance is a concern.

Finally, the CE is just pretty slow in general - there are definitely ways of improving performance, but sometimes it's easier to just use a slower framerate and increase the cursor speed per frame.
commandblockguy wrote:
The gfx_ScaledTransparentSprite_NoClip function is somewhat slow, especially for large sprites. If you're not redrawing the entire screen each frame, I would only display the sprite once, when the screen gets drawn for the first time. You could also just recreate the image using the existing graphics functions, e.g. gfx_FillRectangle_NoClip and gfx_PrintStringXY, instead of sprites, which would also give you a higher resolution.

gfx_BlitBuffer is also inefficient compared to gfx_SwapDraw, since it has to copy the entire screen, so I would switch to buffer swapping if performance is a concern.

Finally, the CE is just pretty slow in general - there are definitely ways of improving performance, but sometimes it's easier to just use a slower framerate and increase the cursor speed per frame.

Thank you so much! Sorry for the late thanking, by the way. I split up the ingame gui into 4 sprites so it didn't have to make them transparent. Again, thanks a lot!
Fallout 3, cool!

Do you have any screenshots that you can share?
tr1p1ea wrote:
Fallout 3, cool!

Do you have any screenshots that you can share?

I haven't worked on it in the past few days and I just barely picked it up again, so don't expect much, but I can in somewhere between now and an hour from now. I'm adding in walking and different animations and such.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours