Would you guys want a 55ASMBLR?
YESSSS
 80%  [ 4 ]
No.
 0%  [ 0 ]
Don't Know?
 20%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5

Hi guys! I'm new here so sorry if this is already asked but...
I was thinking to myself, "why hasn't anyone written a assembly compiler to run in CEsium?".

So I wanted to toss the idea out there. I just got a TI 84 Plus CE-T Python with OS5.5.5 so from the get-go I couldn't experience all the fun stuff about assembly programing on a TI. As such I wanted to ask you guys, has anyone tried this or maybe done it already?

I feel like it could be a cool concept and since there are assembly compilers ,that were written in assembly, out in the wild, I though why wouldn't it be possible for a TI 84?

It's just an idea and I really am not good at programming, especially assembly so I can't really do it by myself. Perhaps this could be a new community project?

If you guys want to help me out, I would really appreciate it and would like to help out as much as I could. Perhaps in the end we could make a 55ASMBLR ? I know, bad pun but it was totally intended XD .

Hope to get your guys' feed back.

Have a nice, fun and healthy day Very Happy
I have a TI 84-Plus CE-T, but when Cesium is running on the python edition, ICE may work too.
Do you mean an assembler that runs on calc, or just a direct replacement for the AsmComp( token?

An assembler turns a text file containing assembly instructions into a "squished"/compiled assembly program that Cesium can run. Most assembly programs are developed this way because the instructions are way easier to understand as text compared to hex, and also because the assembler automatically handles labels for you.

AsmComp( turns an unsqished program, which is a file in hex format, into a squished one, which is in binary format. So, it wouldn't actually be that hard to recreate the AsmComp( token in assembly, or another language like C or ICE. The reason nobody has done so already is probably that nobody actually writes assembly programs using hex, since it's much more difficult than using a computer and requires you to either memorize the byte for each opcode or print out a reference, as well as to manually update addresses each time you insert a byte. I've written precisely one non-trivial program in hex, and it took me several times longer to write and debug than it would to write and test the same program on a computer.

So, while I don't think an AsmComp( replacement would be that useful, I still think it would be a great first project due to it's relatively small scale. Even if you aren't ready to learn assembly just yet, you could also write it in C using the C toolchain. We'll be happy to help with any questions you have during the development process.
commandblockguy wrote:
Do you mean an assembler that runs on calc, or just a direct replacement for the AsmComp( token?

An assembler turns a text file containing assembly instructions into a "squished"/compiled assembly program that Cesium can run. Most assembly programs are developed this way because the instructions are way easier to understand as text compared to hex, and also because the assembler automatically handles labels for you.

AsmComp( turns an unsqished program, which is a file in hex format, into a squished one, which is in binary format. So, it wouldn't actually be that hard to recreate the AsmComp( token in assembly, or another language like C or ICE. The reason nobody has done so already is probably that nobody actually writes assembly programs using hex, since it's much more difficult than using a computer and requires you to either memorize the byte for each opcode or print out a reference, as well as to manually update addresses each time you insert a byte. I've written precisely one non-trivial program in hex, and it took me several times longer to write and debug than it would to write and test the same program on a computer.

So, while I don't think an AsmComp( replacement would be that useful, I still think it would be a great first project due to it's relatively small scale. Even if you aren't ready to learn assembly just yet, you could also write it in C using the C toolchain. We'll be happy to help with any questions you have during the development process.

Hi, well kinda, I was thinking of those small tricks and pranks I saw on the internet like say for example the "dark mode" thing when I had this idea. I was thinking mainly of something like the TIBasic app that is already present on the calculators but for assembly. Something like a small text editor that would allow you to write assembly code directly on the calculator and compile it. Then you would be able to open it on CEsium and use it. Something along those lines anyways. If some how there was a way of making a direct replacement for AsmComp( token, that would be cool too I guess but I'd assume it's trickier.

I currently am out of time with school work and other responsibilities so I can't really mess around with the idea myself at the moment, so I just wanted to toss the idea to the community. Maybe I can find some time in my summer break to try it, but if someone else wants to take a go at it, by all means go ahead Very Happy

oh boy that was a long answer, sorry. But thanks for clarifying things for me @commandblockguy I appreciate it. Very Happy Very Happy
Berkoc2003 wrote:
Something like a small text editor that would allow you to write assembly code directly on the calculator and compile it. Then you would be able to open it on CEsium and use it. Something along those lines anyways.

Check out BASM, and ICE Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours