What do you use?
My mouse/trackpad
 21%  [ 6 ]
the Keybindings and shortcuts I hold in the depths of my brilliant brain.
 21%  [ 6 ]
I primarily use the keyboard, but I have nothing against using the mouse.
 57%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 28

I’ve coded a lot mostly in pycharm or visual studios and I don’t use the mouse a lot unless I’m selecting a big portion of code or moving a pretty big distance. I almost always use the arrow keys and am very proficient in wasting time by pressing right, going down a line, then spamming left and up until I give up and use my mouse Razz I’ve never really known about vim or anything like that. I’ll have to try it some time.
Trackpad gang.

Having a trackpad attached to my keyboard right below the spacebar is probably the top requirement for me when choosing computers. I can't really use mice for Reasons, so I grew up always using trackpads. It doesn't really affect my speed too much since it's really easy to switch between typing and trackpad-ing. I use a high enough sensitivity that moving a finger from the edge to the middle of the pad at a moderately quick speed takes the cursor from one end of the screen to the other- this is a good balance between precision and speed for me.

When I am forced to use a mouse, I can see why others would want a mouseless environment :p I frequently utilize the thing that pops up when you press the scroll wheel on most mice that lets you scroll around really fast in two dimensions.
KermMartian wrote:
I came to this thread to say "vim is love, vim is life" or thereabouts, but you make a decent enough point. I use Notepad++ on Windows, where admittedly I still do know enough keyboard shortcuts to rarely touch the mouse, but these days I do the vast majority of my programming in vim, over SSH.

Many of my IDEs are configured to use vim keybindings, and my vim is configured to accept mouse input.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours