What do you use?
My mouse/trackpad
 21%  [ 6 ]
the Keybindings and shortcuts I hold in the depths of my brilliant brain.
 21%  [ 6 ]
I primarily use the keyboard, but I have nothing against using the mouse.
 57%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 28

So I remembered a debate that I and others (the lettuce man) had about whether or not mouses were efficient or a waste of time while coding. Apparently Jacobly and MateoC (and probably others who lurked on SAX and laughed inwardly, or perhaps outwardly) prefer to use a lot of keybindings and shortcuts instead of moving a mouse around. Jacobly even said that if you use more than 4 clicks/actions to accomplish something when coding, then u are being inefficient (unless I remember that from some other conversation I had). However, this poll is intended to collect data on how many Cemetech members actually prefer to use their mouse while coding, and which ones abhor the mouse and love their keyboard. Or, do you use a laptop with a trackpad, and if so, do you prefer that? Please voice your opinion above. I really like my mouse and trackpad!, but since Logical Joe is indignant about my BiaSEs, don't let my opinion sway your heartfelt commitment
Using a mouse is inefficient. Using an IDE is inefficient. Using vim and tmux? That's how you become crazy good at editing text.
I generally only use the mouse and scroll wheel for stuff that requires moving a long distance to a specific place within a block of text or a webpage. The keyboard is way faster for pretty much everything else.
ENHANCE!

You are missing an option: Using the mouse ONLY
Smile
randomguy wrote:
the lettuce man

why do i find this so funny

also to actually contribute to the discussion, i agree with commandblockguy
As a casual coder, I don't have many time to learn vim keybinds (I know that we must learn it while using but maybe i'm too lazy because I don't dev very much). So I prefer using the mouse to move/select and doing others actions with the keyboard.
I generally program on my calculator so no option for mouse there Razz However, when I program (or use GIMP) on the computer, I tend to use keybinds and shortcuts as much as I can, and only use the mouse for small things.
TIny_Hacker wrote:
However, when I program (or use GIMP) on the computer, I tend to use keybinds and shortcuts as much as I can, and only use the mouse for small things.

Same here, TIny_Hacker!
Same. And because I mostly program on my calculator without mouse I use only keys while coding on my laptop.
I do memorize a few common keyboard shortcuts for VSCodium, though I find that how quickly I code is limited by how fast I can come up with code, not how fast I can type. Thus, my typing speed is irrelevant to how quickly I write code. The keyboard is still quite convenient, though, even with the trackpad close by.
I use the best tool for whatever job is at hand. Sometimes that's a keyboard and crazy shortcuts. Sometimes it's a mouse that will replace 17 key strokes with two clicks.

MateoConLechuga wrote:
Using a mouse is inefficient. Using an IDE is inefficient. Using vim and tmux? That's how you become crazy good at editing text.

MateoConLechuga wrote:

No need to even start an X server; just log in from a TTY.
Though i3 makes a decent replacement for tmux.
I was born with two hands, I'm gonna use all of 'em at once, and no one can stop me!

My right hand controls the mouse and targets stuff for selecting/pasting/moving the cursor/scrolling while my left hand handles typing and all the shortcuts. Why mess with the arrow keys and shortcuts when I can just click wherever I need and ctrl-v all over the place? I rely on both equally and I couldn't be near as fast with only the keyboard, but I try to learn how to navigate with it alone since I occasionally find myself without a mouse and my laptop's trackpad sucks.

I'm waiting for someone to talk about how they love their keyboard nubs and brag about how fast they are.
King Dub Dub wrote:
I'm waiting for someone to talk about how they love their keyboard nubs and brag about how fast they are.

*pours one out for my Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 which had the greatest nub-mouse button setup I have ever seen*
I use both keyboard and mouse. I mainly use my keyboard to type in the code and for keybinds (ctrl + c or ctrl+v). When it comes to the mouse I use it to scroll and highlight when I want to copy and paste.
For the uninitiated that have never used a real text editor before: http://www.viemu.com/a-why-vi-vim.html
vim looks very un-user-friendly. it seems to be a sort of advanced terminal. it reminds me of git and all that sort of very abstract, hard to visualize commands that git uses!
elfprince13 wrote:
I use the best tool for whatever job is at hand. Sometimes that's a keyboard and crazy shortcuts. Sometimes it's a mouse that will replace 17 key strokes with two clicks.

MateoConLechuga wrote:

I came to this thread to say "vim is love, vim is life" or thereabouts, but you make a decent enough point. I use Notepad++ on Windows, where admittedly I still do know enough keyboard shortcuts to rarely touch the mouse, but these days I do the vast majority of my programming in vim, over SSH.
KermMartian wrote:
I use Notepad++ on Windows

But Neovim Sad Not to mention you can just download vim on windows too.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours