According to their website, TI will be releasing a Python version of the TI-84 Plus CE for the American market!

A few weeks ago, Adriweb noticed this updated banner on the main American TI website seemingly confirming the rumors that Python was coming.
Presumably the hardware will be the same as the TI-83 Premium CE Edition Python and the TI-84 Plus CE-T Python Edition. Software-wise, I would expect just added support for python to the English 84+CE OS (and setting the flag so that the OS accepts the Python app)

It will be available in 10 colors, including 2 brand new colors!
  • Bright White
  • EZ-Spot
  • Matte-Matic Black
  • Radical Red
  • Bionic Blue
  • Measure Mint
  • Galaxy Gray
  • Rose Curve Gold
  • Totally Teal
  • Infinitely Iris
  • Positive Coral-ation

It is slated for release in Fall 2021.
I LITERALLY BOUGHT MY CE LIKE 3 MONTHS AGOOO
arusher999 wrote:
I LITERALLY BOUGHT MY CE LIKE 3 MONTHS AGOOO

Cool now you can have two.
lol never gonna happen
This is...fairly unsurprising, although it does appear to put yet another nail in the coffin of TI supporting native programmability. I assume despite the significant performance concerns of the particular Python implementation on these calculators, that TI will also be shifting their pedagogy away from the proprietary TI-BASIC language to the more universal Python, and I don't particularly blame them there. But a Kerm can dream that the TI-84 Plus CE platform would be reimagined as an ARM with an ez80 emulator (which they could easily do), and actually performant native Python.
Took TI long enough to bring this over - good thing I held off on buying a CE. I'm hoping on picking up one of these in the fall!

Edit: is it just me, or does the d-pad appear to be curved inward on the python calcs?
This is great news that I've been waiting to hear! I can't wait to get one of these!
My Teal prototype certainly also seems to have the D-pad curved inwards.
This is quite exciting! I'd love to pick up either a blue or lavender one! Razz
KermMartian wrote:
My Teal prototype certainly also seems to have the D-pad curved inwards.

Off-topic, but this caught my attention. Does anyone know what's up with the curved-in D-pad? The pictures above show what looks like curved-in D-pads, but I know that most of the CE's that I've seen around DON'T have a curved-in D-pad (including my own). CE's with a curved-in D-pad seems to be random.
My normal, black CE has a slightly curved in D-pad. And I bought it in like 2015 or so. I thought it was normal?
Michael2_3B wrote:
My normal, black CE has a slightly curved in D-pad. And I bought it in like 2015 or so. I thought it was normal?

Seems like early CEs (2015 or so) have the curve while later revisions don't.
Haha of course this isn't long after I imported a TI-84 Plus CE -t Edition Python. At least the name isn't as much of a mouthful. It's nice they're bring the extra 2nd and alpha icons from the -t model. I think I actually like the new purple color over the coral. Should look pretty cool especially if it has a metallic finish.
KermMartian wrote:
But a Kerm can dream that the TI-84 Plus CE platform would be reimagined as an ARM with an ez80 emulator (which they could easily do), and actually performant native Python.

I guess that's the lazy way to do it. But, ugh, here I go giving TI the ideas they should be coming up with themselves. . . .

TI should have ported the Equation Operating System to portable C, oh, about a decade ago. You know, when they were ahem "developing" the TI-84 Plus C SE. They should literally rewrite the entire floating point package in portable C, and similarly rewrite all their algorithms and UI code in C. Then they can switch to ARM in a manner that's actually maintainable for the future. They should also hire Xeda to do it; she probably knows their OS better than they do.

But something I've learned over the past fifteen years is that TI Education Technologies doesn't engineer for the future. Their engineering is purely reactive to demands; they seem to lack desire to innovate. It'll probably be their downfall; instead of experimenting with solutions for how to handle a switch to tablets, they're waiting for teachers to tell them. And a lot of teachers will probably say, screw it, we'll just deal with letting students use their personal devices during exams.

TI can profitably sell TI-84 Plus CEs for $60 a unit. If they want to remain relevant, they should be selling them in bulk to schools . . . and charging a yearly subscription fee for a smartphone emulator app so students are familiar with the device they'll have to use on the exam. It's a dirty, cynical, double-dipping (once for the school district, once for the students) business strategy to squeeze more profits out of Americas schools and students. The investors will go wild, and give the whole division a sizable bonus.

Like seriously, do I have to do all the thinking for TI Education myself? That should be my bonus.

Edit: Come to think of it, NumWorks has already had a similar idea---you can try out their online emulator for free, indefinitely.

   If [I] were not a little mad and generally silly
     I should give you my advice upon the subject, willy-nilly;
   I should show you in a moment how to grapple with the question,
     And you'd really be astonished at the force of my suggestion.
   On the subject I shall write you a most valuable letter,
     Full of excellent suggestions when I feel a little better,
   But at present I'm afraid I am as mad as any hatter,
     So I'll keep 'em to myself, for my opinion doesn't matter!
       —Some Victorian-era hooligans (probably)
I'd be hyped except the Python in its current form sucks
"Python in Americaaa!"

I'm glad I didn't get a FR Edition now Smile.

I wonder what the key differences will be, if any?

Perhaps there are further protections on ASM?
tr1p1ea wrote:
"Python in Americaaa!"

[murica]

I'm glad I didn't get a FR Edition now Smile.

I wonder what the key differences will be, if any?

Perhaps there are further protections on ASM?

Don't forget Canada! Razz

this quickly turned into something else
Call me crazy, but I think we should not be promoting TI products as long as assembly/C is still unsupported officially. Not releasing further patches and exploits is one thing. Helping them promote a product is another.
Just my $.02
ACagliano wrote:
Call me crazy, but I think we should not be promoting TI products as long as assembly/C is still unsupported officially. Not releasing further patches and exploits is one thing. Helping them promote a product is another.
Just my $.02

notipa wrote:
no dbus no buy

That being said, this is a TI-based community...
The rev M TI-83 Premium CE remains the best in the series in my opinion due to the faster flash and ASM support.
I would also purchase a TI-82 Advanced Edition Python over a TI-84 Plus CE Python because it looks like it will be the exact same thing but cheaper.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours