Yep, another Wordle clone/variant, but this one entirely in CE BASIC, no xLib or assembly required. So, if you don't feel like jailbreaking your new calc or don't mind the rather ridiculous 53 kb memory footprint for the word list, use this version. If not, you'd probably prefer the other ones.

GitHub

Archive download pending. Graphics suggestions are welcomed but probably not going to be implemented because BASIC.
Very nice! I guess someone should get going on a monochrome version then!
I like it! No dependencies required Smile.
Answer generation is finally done, and only takes a few seconds. After the first game, the generation gets hidden behind the Play Again screen, though it can still be noticeable. Word validation also takes up to a few seconds; both are proportional to the number of words which start with the first letter, which is a bit annoying about also the best way I could reason to store the data internally (lists ftw!)

I'll type up the source code in the next day or so.
Who'da thought sorting could be so powerful? The word lists have now been sorted to put potential answers near the top; this makes generation much faster, and guess verification a bit quicker too on account of answers being generally common words. A furthermore optimal sort that orders the non-answer words by frequency could be done as well, though I'd have to re-generate all the lists from scratch.
First release has been put on GitHub. I'm tempted to make this the definitive archives release as well, but some discussion the other day got me investigating speeding things up with 2-letter-prefixed lists. The speed increase should be significant actually, but the catch is your calc gets "polluted" with about 300 lists rather than 27, not to mention that those 300 all have their own header bytes.

I intend to pursue the 2-letter version regardless, but I'm unsure whether to make it the version people are putting on their calcs. Feedback would be appreciated.
kg583 wrote:
First release has been put on GitHub. I'm tempted to make this the definitive archives release as well, but some discussion the other day got me investigating speeding things up with 2-letter-prefixed lists. The speed increase should be significant actually, but the catch is your calc gets "polluted" with about 300 lists rather than 27, not to mention that those 300 all have their own header bytes.

I intend to pursue the 2-letter version regardless, but I'm unsure whether to make it the version people are putting on their calcs. Feedback would be appreciated.

Time flies, eh? The aforementioned GitHub release has been submitted to the archives, as I never got around to finishing the 2-letter version.

Now that I've been reminded, though, I could get it working in the coming days. The memory footprint increase (+13kb) provides less speed than I'd like for an addition of that scale. It's also a pain to physically have on-calc, as the sheer number of lists breaks lots of TI's menus (and also TiLP's bulk transfer option). Nevertheless, it's a fun proof-of-concept, though, so if I do get around to bug fixing, expect a release on GitHub (but not here).

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours