Hapan Battle Dragon NG by Thomas Dickerson, on Flickr

Another cool one - how did you do the background?
Thanks! I did all my LEGO modeling in Bricksmith (i.e. LDRAW format), then imported it into Blender.

Then I found this tutorial for procedural star-fields in Blender as a starting point for the background (and then tweaked it until I got the look I wanted). It's conceptually pretty similar to how you'd achieve the same effect in a photo editing app like GIMP or Photoshop, but it's computed as a shader on the fly, so in principle you can render at arbitrarily high resolution without it getting pixelated.
Sorry for the double post, here's one more render, requested by some peeps over on EuroBricks

I don't remember this ship, but it looks fantastic! I love the edits too!
Now for the real life version! But you need to be millionaire for that. This looks absolutely amazing. I should show this to one of my Facebook buddy that loves LEGO.
TheLastMillennial wrote:
I don't remember this ship, but it looks fantastic! I love the edits too!

It's from the old expanded universe novels, notably "The Courtship of Princess Leia" (which just got a bit of an Easter Egg shoutout on TBoBF), and appeared in Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels.

DJ Omnimaga wrote:
Now for the real life version! But you need to be millionaire for that. This looks absolutely amazing. I should show this to one of my Facebook buddy that loves LEGO.

Thanks! And yeah, even if I palette-swap to colors that are all physically available from LEGO, this thing has more parts than the UCS Millennium Falcon, so probably looking at upwards of $800 in parts to build.
Nice work elfprince. I am disappointed the studs don't have lego written on them in the renders. Gotta work on getting a texture or similar for that!
TheStorm wrote:
Nice work elfprince. I am disappointed the studs don't have lego written on them in the renders. Gotta work on getting a texture or similar for that!

There's a setting for it when importing LDRAW models into Blender (and in Bricklink Studio's Eyesight renderer too), but on a model this size it grinds my laptop to a halt so I usually cheat and leave it off

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours