NOTE: Unlike CC24, this is not a team contest: entries will be created individually.

Cemetech Contest #25 is all about games featuring heat, as the kind produced by a fire, oven, or star. Games must feature the concept of heat as a primary game mechanic to be eligible for this contest.

General
Games for this contest may be in any language, for any platform. Game engines, such as Unity and Unreal, will also be allowed; the use of any assets, such as sprites and code, will also be permitted provided that they are public at the start of the contest. Projects released or started before the contest's beginning are ineligible for entry in the contest. In order to qualify for the contest, the game must feature heat as a primary game mechanic, but how you choose to implement this is up to you. The contest is open to all Cemetech users, except for judges.

Development
Please create a thread to document your progress throughout the contest, in the format "CC25: <your username>". Receiving help is also allowed for the contest, provided it is done through a Cemetech-run public place of discussion, such as the forums, SAX, IRC, or the Cemetech Discord server. If you receive help from someone, be sure to give them credit in your thread and/or game.

Submission
Submit your entries via email to contest [at] cemetech.net. Submit it in the same format as you would upload the file to the Cemetech archives. In the readme file, please include a contest-specific section that includes the language it is written in and the platform it was written for. Include any optional screenshot(s) in the submission itself. As code quality will be assessed by the judges for scoring, your submission must include the source code for your program. You may choose not to include the source code when you upload your program to the Cemetech archives, but it is required for the email submission. You are also allowed to submit your entry to the Cemetech archives, however, it will not be accepted until the contest submission period is over. All entries must be in by the dates outlined below, under Timeline. You may only submit one entry (if you want to submit an update to your entry, PM either epsilon5 or KermMartian, and re-email your submission).

Judging and Scoring
The standings for the contest will be determined by means of a new format: entries will be graded by a panel of judges in the same manner that was done for the 23rd and 24th Cemetech Contests, and there will also be a community vote, in the fashion of Cemetech Contest 22. The program receiving the highest marks by the judges will obtain an additional 50% of the votes that were submitted to the contest (so if there were 50 community votes, the best-judged program would receive 25 extra). The judging will take place before the community poll, and its results will be released in the final standings post.
EDIT: The judging panel has been finalized: LogicalJoe, c4ooo, zeldaking, and EverydayCode will be judging this contest, along with myself.

Timeline
This contest will begin on February 22, 2021, and end one month afterward, on March 22, 2021, at 11:59 PM EST. Assuming no delays or extensions, the judges' results will be finalized on or before March 29th, with the community poll starting on March 30st. Final results will be posted within a week after the community poll completes.

Prizes
Thanks to tr1p1ea, there will be a $25 Steam voucher as a prize for winning the contest, and $10 for winning either second or third place.

Good luck to all the contestants, I expect some great entries!
Good work getting this set up. I can't wait to participate, and I'm excited to see how the new voting system works out Smile
Looks fun! Participating in this one for sure.
relevant
This looks fun, I already have some ideas that I might use. Are the judging categories going to be the same as in previous years, or something new?
Jeffitus wrote:
Are the judging categories going to be the same as in previous years, or something new?

"Entries will be graded by a panel of judges in the same manner that was done for the 23rd and 24th Cemetech Contests." The entries will be judged by the same criteria that was used for the last two contests, namely (copied from the Cemetech Contest 24 announcement post):

• Originality: How novel and interesting the core ideas for your game are, including implementation details and platform.
  • Style: How well the game is implemented visually.
  • Theme: How well the game fits the theme.
  • Code Quality: How well the game is implemented. This is a combination of readability, speed, documentation, and optimization.
  • Enjoyability: How much we liked playing the game, in general.
Hmmm... This contest seems intuitively fun, I may join. How many submissions can a user make?
Alvajoy123 wrote:
Hmmm... This contest seems intuitively fun, I may join. How many submissions can a user make?

From the first post:
epsilon5 wrote:
You may only submit one entry.
Quick update on this: tr1p1ea will be providing some prizes for this contest! There will now be a $25 Steam voucher for winning the contest, and $10 each for the second and third place winners. Sorry for the delay in posting this as well, I was hoping to announce the prizes and the judges at the same time, but there has been some difficulty in finalizing the panel (I have lots of offers, but I'm not sure how big the panel should be and who should be on it).

So, thanks to tr1p1ea, and hopefully this will give everyone some more motivation to win!
I've finally got the judging situation sorted out: we'll have five judges for this contest, which should lead to lots of feedback for contestants, as well as ultimately fair results. The judges are myself, LogicalJoe, zeldaking, c4ooo, and EverydayCode.

Good luck throughout the rest of the contest, everyone, I'm already seeing some great progress!
Just letting you all know, I'm watching all the development and am super excited! Didn't have time to participate myself, but excited to see what you all make.
Quick reminder that the contest is about halfway done-don't forget to keep updating your threads and preparing your entries for the contest end date.
Due to the lack of completed entries and to give entrants more time to work on their games, I've decided to grant a 9 day extension for this contest, meaning that it will now end on March 31st.

Good luck to all participating!
I just saw this and I was in a rush to submit this morning (already summited) ... could you cancel my first submission? (or is it too late?)
epsilon5 wrote:
If you want to submit an update to your entry, PM either epsilon5 or KermMartian, and re-email your submission.

Sure, go ahead.
Quick reminder that this contest ends in around 4 days, or this coming Wednesday. Get your entries in!
Just submitted my entry, good luck everyone!
Submitted my entry! I cut it kind of close heh
Submitted mine as well.
This contest will end in just about an hour and a half. Good luck to all the contestants, you've made some great progress in the time period and I'm looking forward to trying out all of your games.
Whelp, time for the anxiety to set in with fears of incorrect submission formats or thoughts of simple optimizations, or worst of all, unintentional grammatical errors! May the funner-est game win, and may it not distract me from my chemistry work!

Oxiti8 wrote:
Submitted my entry! I cut it kind of close heh
My good homie I submitted mine at 11:08 PM, I get the mad lad award

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours