Is there any way to run an assembly program from an ice program (shell)? I know you can run a basic program from Ice, but I can't find how to run an ASM program. Question Thanks in advance!
I believe that this is the method that most of the ICE shells used to do it.

I don’t recommend making a shell in ICE though, as most of the ICE shells are very unstable and don’t work all that well, because of the language’s difficulty in interfacing with the OS. Only one shell that I would consider to be “successful” has been made in ICE (BOSshell, Xenon is too unstable), and that was done with ASM snippets. The more stable (than all the ICE shells, including BOSshell) shells were made in either C+ASM (VYSION) or ASM (Cesium, PHASM, Doors CE).
okay, I guess I will just finish learning C and make one in C
randomguy wrote:
okay, I guess I will just finish learning C and make one in C

You can’t make one in just C, you need ASM as well. Preferably, it would be made in pure ASM. Also, I would not recommend making a shell as a beginning project in C or any other language that you’re not completely comfortable in, as it’s probably the most difficult type of program to make. A search on Cemetech for “shell CE” or similar will show you this: lots of failed shells that were taken on by inexperienced programmers who underestimated the difficulty of their projects, and eventually had them fail due to bugs or the realization that the project was unrealistic.

I’m not telling you this to be mean, definitely go for it if you think you’re ready, but I don’t want you to be discouraged, as it seems to me that this is unrealistic.
Shells can only be made in assembly. You might be able to get away with doing the graphical stuff in another language, but at the end of the day all the necessary code to make a proper shell has to be done in assembly.
Since I am new at C, do you have any suggestions for programs for me to make?
randomguy wrote:

No. Use your own ingenuity.
randomguy wrote:

Just make some kind of a very simple game to start out with, and focus on using good programming practices when making it. A utility program would be fine as well.
randomguy wrote:

For Practice fell free to watch some of The coding train videos, He programs in JS but try your best to grasp what he's talking about. Razz
Thanks! Some of those videos already taught me a bunch of stuff about trig, which my school hasn't taught me yet Sad. I have a lot of ideas of what I could do with that!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours