So the way variables are supposed to work is that you can have a variable up to 8 characters long. But whenever I have a multi-charafter variable 8th a syntax error. Does anyone know what's going on or how to fix it? I do mean in ti basic
You can only have program variable names be 8 characters. TI basic variables are limited to single characters.
If you want more than 26 variables, you can use lists, which you can custom name. So you could have a list named HELLO1 with 128 “variables” and HELLO2 with another 128 “variables”. (The length of a list is beyond 128 I just used it to keep it simple.)
Programs can have 8 characters in their names, lists can have 5 characters in their names. However, if you need to store a single number into a variable, you can only use 1 uppercase letter, like those via the key combinations [Alpha][Math], [Alpha][Apps], etc.. Use lists to store multiple of similar variables in 1 file, and matricies (only named [A] through [J] and only accessable from the [2nd][x^-1] menu) for lots of numbers.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours