Bedrock Minecraft is the ever-growing version of Minecraft that is taking over as the number 1 platform in terms of amount of players. It makes sense, of course, because bedrock edition exists on many more platforms than the single platform that Java edition is available on. That is why I propose that we open up Cemetech MC to bedrock players as well. And with the proposed approach, this would not affect the playing experience of anything, and the server can continue to exist as a Java server at its core.

I propose that we use Geyser, a plugin that enables bedrock clients to connect and play on your server, without making any of the Java game mechanics change. The bedrock clients, however, would be playing under Java game mechanics.

Geyser plugin - https://geysermc.org/

And, when used in tandem with Floodgate, another plugin, bedrock players would not need a java account to connect to the server. This is not against the TOS of Minecraft, because it states that you only service legal paid copies, and never specifies which one. All Minecraft versions are paid for. Of course, you do not need floodgate in order for geyser to work, but Floodgate allows players without java accounts to join, opening up the server to bedrock-only players as well.

Floodgate plugin - https://github.com/GeyserMC/Floodgate

Pros:
Supports fabric, and floodgate is capable of doing so with bungeecord
Capable of linking java accounts, so you can continue where you left off on multiple different devices
Opens server to bedrock clients
Fast to update to new versions
"plug and play"
Bedrock is on almost every modern platform

Cons:
Can only be used with 1.16.3/1.16.4 at the moment
Takes a bit more power for the packet translator
I'm not really sure how I feel about this. I will concede that Geyser and Floodgate seem pretty neat, though.

One of the main problems I have/had with Paper is the fact that I cannot build something in creative and expect it to work on the server. For players coming from bedrock, this will be even more pronounced- new members will have to be informed that their builds won't work, but only on our server. I'm afraid this will be confusing- Bedrock is basically an entirely different game as far as I'm concerned.

I'm also not sure about how useful this will be, particularly for our audience. CemetechMC advertises itself as an "intellectual server"- bedrock edition doesn't exactly have this kind of association in my mind. It seems to be much more popular than java edition for extremely young (significantly younger than 13) audiences. I can think of a fair number of longtime members on the server that have mentioned playing bedrock, though, maybe I'm just stereotyping.
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
I'm also not sure about how useful this will be, particularly for our audience. CemetechMC advertises itself as an "intellectual server"- bedrock edition doesn't exactly have this kind of association in my mind. It seems to be much more popular than java edition for extremely young (significantly younger than 13) audiences. I can think of a fair number of longtime members on the server that have mentioned playing bedrock, though, maybe I'm just stereotyping.

I'm not sure if this a particularly valid argument - while it's true that the average technical player is more likely to be on Java and that Bedrock players are less likely to be members of the server's target audience, I don't think that in itself is a valid excuse to exclude players from the server.

However, also don't think that using a proxy is necessarily the best way to be inclusive - for those without access to a computer, there are ways of running Java Edition directly on a phone (as an example I haven't personally tried, https://github.com/AOF-Dev/MCinaBox), and I don't think it's unreasonable to expect all players to buy a Java Edition account, as they aren't particularly expensive compared to how much you'll get out of the game.

I am somewhat concerned about the reliability of the plugin - the GitHub page describes it as "a work in progress and should not be used on production. Expect bugs!" I've used similar proxies in the past before, and they never seemed to work particularly well. There were tons of small bugs and quirks that added up to making the game a pain to play.

FloodGate also doesn't scream "secure" to me, either - the setup page suggests keeping a public key secret. This isn't a huge issue on its own, but it also isn't exactly reassuring for a plugin that's injecting code into the authentication system.
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
I'm not really sure how I feel about this. I will concede that Geyser and Floodgate seem pretty neat, though.

One of the main problems I have/had with Paper is the fact that I cannot build something in creative and expect it to work on the server. For players coming from bedrock, this will be even more pronounced- new members will have to be informed that their builds won't work, but only on our server. I'm afraid this will be confusing- Bedrock is basically an entirely different game as far as I'm concerned.

The geyser translation layer makes it so the bedrock client is essentially playing java edition, and since everything is server side, this is no issue for them.
Scraps wrote:
The geyser translation layer makes it so the bedrock client is essentially playing java edition, and since everything is server side, this is no issue for them.

That's not exactly what I meant, my concern is that bedrock players will try to build bedrock contraptions on the server, then get frustrated that they don't work.
_iPhoenix_ wrote:

That's not exactly what I meant, my concern is that bedrock players will try to build bedrock contraptions on the server, then get frustrated that they don't work.

Oh yeah, that makes sense, I guess my main reasoning aside from that for having this is that I want to make it so players can access Cemetech from any platform, and from anywhere. Also, the Bedrock client on all platforms is WAY faster than the java client, as you know.
So I'm a Minecraft server admin as well, and I thought I'd add my opinion. I've used geyser before, and it's an amazing proxy/plugin program. As cool as it is, it's still in development and doesn't work very well. It took so long to finally get working, and it was still very buggy. Also with what everyone else said, the Java and Bedrock editions of the game are just so different that it wouldn't really work. Especially for a technical server, with such different redstone mechanics.

Solution? For those who really want to play on the server on bedrock, use geyser client side. At least when I tested it, it worked fine. Otherwise, just buy the Java Edition. It's much more stable, updated more frequently, and (in my opinion) the better version of the game.

Side note:
Scraps, you said that the Bedrock client is WAY faster than the Java client. This is not entirely true, as it depends on the system running Minecraft.

Please let me know if anything I wrote is false as I typed this pretty quickly.
Alright, considering the current Cemetech MC setup; using Geyser causes some interesting issues. Since movement vectors are slightly different between bedrock and java. Client gets put back into the spot they were in prior to climbing an incline such as slabs and lanterns. (presumeably this is caused by the anticheat) Attack speed is nerfed by the proxy, movement seems severely handicapped, really the only plus to using Geyser (and any other proxy, presumeably) is the framerate, performance, and portability.
Personally I'd like to be able to play Bedrock because it's cross-platform, so I could play on console (which I am used to) and not my POS laptop that still struggles even after a fresh reboot and Sodium installed.

Also RTX.

Edit: yeah you know what.

I don't mean I use RTX (obviously), but speaking as someone who knows little about minecraft, wouldn't it be neat to see builds in RTX? I dunno. Just a thought.

Also as I said, I know little about the game, so I'm not going to be upset should this proposal be outright rejected, but I'd be more likely to learn advanced redstone if I could play reasonably on the server.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours