Do you think doctors use math?
yes
 95%  [ 20 ]
No
 4%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 21

I'm looking for a simple medical calculator that contains the equations on the well know website: https://www.mdcalc.com/
I want to be able to take my calculator off grid and use it for my patients
I think it would be a good way to utilise a calculator - can I ask what model calculator you have?

Something like this would be trivial to implement however an expert would be needed regarding the actual equations for the various sections. Most programs that are collections of formulas are just menu driven BASIC programs.

It might be more straight-forward to teach you how to create a simple menu with selections and then how to get user input, perform the calculation with the necessary variables and output the results?
I have a TI-89. I have no programing knowledge. I'm a doctor, Just looking for something to take off grid.
Oh 89 of course (it's in the title whoops). Is it a black and grey titanium or an original 89

There aren't a lot of 68k programmers around anymore - hopefully someone will pop in shortly.

It is pretty straight-forward however regarding how it could be programmed.

I browsed the site and there are some items that have a lot of information around diagnosis vs treatment recommendations etc. Having all of this might prove to be a space challenge for the calculator.

Regarding being 'offline' is there a specific reason for this as there is an app for MDCalc? Privacy, poor reception, hygiene etc?
It's an original black TI-89 (not titanium). Yeah no need for treatment recommendations and all that. I just want some of them with cold hard math. Like rates for normal saline or 3% saline to bring their sodium to X. Some of the calculators that predict medical prognosis and all that are not what I'm looking for.
Some of my favorites would be:
FENa
FEUREA
Free water deficit in hypernatremia
Serum osmolality
sodium correction for hyperglycemia
sodium correction rate in hyponatremia vs hypernatremia
Winter's formula (All the ABG formulas would be helpful) (in fact an ABG calculator would be nice)

Reason for a TI calculator would be: poor reception, speed, functionality, battery life, remote use, ruggedness, and my personal favorite: a more direct and independent forum where computer programmers can directly add their algorithms to open software, so that medicine can advance (MD calc has a lot of firewalls for legal purposes, whereas this open forum is basically all about striving for the best equation and not worried about all the litigation that the word "medical" entails.)

It would be my dream if you could pull the equations out of "Burton Rose, Theodore Post - Clinical Physiology of Acid-Base and Electrolyte Disorders-McGraw-Hill (2001).pdf" And I could have some cool looking graphs and I could look at the trends, if I plot some values from patient labs.
This is certainly an application for graphing calculators that I have not even though of- it's always nice to see devices like this used in unexpected ways

Though I do not have an 89 myself to assist you with, I can help you start out a little bit.
One option you have is learning to program the calculator yourself- it can't possibly be harder than med school, and might even be a little fun Wink

There's a incomplete guide available on the TI-Basic Developer forum/wiki- check out http://tibasicdev.wikidot.com/68k:starter-kit

You can at least pick up the basics there in a couple of minutes from the examples and commentary- TIBD has generally pretty good documentation on most things you'll need.

Since you're doing calculations and graphing with, well, a graphing calculator I imagine you'll find this fairly straightforward

Like tr1p1ea said, 68k basic programmers are few and far between, though they certainly exist- in my 4 years on this site, I can't think of any notable 68k basic programs posted here (though I'm more likely to forget about/misjudge the significance of such a program since I don't use the language myself). I've shared this thread with a place I know of that has a higher density of 68k basic programmers- maybe one of them will drop by and help Smile
I could use a more advanced programing language if that means you will have an easier time programing this. I don't mind buying a newer calculator. I didn't know this language was so old, let me know your thoughts on this because I really don't have the time to do it and frankly I thought it would already be out there and rather ashamed of my profession for not thinking of this sooner. The reason why I did that poll in the beginning is because a lot of people assume we use math, but you don't have to and can get buy just fine, ok that's a lie you need to know how to add and multiply, but we use med calc for a lot of stuff and the algebra gets lost. I want to bring back the equations, and I think there is none other than a graphing calculator to get that joy of plugging in the data and that slight delay of hitting the enter key and the fade in of the perfect precise answer that can cut into the chaos of the human body in all it's glory. Just as rugged as the body is a coded language that can be used day in and day out in a calculator that runs on less than a watt and can stand the test of time!
I also think would be helpful to have a pharmacopoeia on the TI with doses, mechanism of action and indications.
Any takers?
If you were to get a calculator that's in the TI-84 Plus family, then I would (and probably some of the other members of RoccoLox Programs) definitely be willing to try to make a program that fits your needs. Getting a calculator that's in the TI-84 Plus family would likely get other people's attention too.
RoccoLox Programs wrote:
If you were to get a calculator that's in the TI-84 Plus family, then I would (and probably some of the other members of RoccoLox Programs) definitely be willing to try to make a program that fits your needs. Getting a calculator that's in the TI-84 Plus family would likely get other people's attention too.

Let's do it!!!! I'll get one!
I just bought a ti84+ silver, still in the mail. Do these have solid state software that will not be terminated if the battery dies? I'm sorry I haven't gotten back to you all sooner. If you write me a program with some of the stuff I spoke about earlier, I promise I'll let you know he it goes in the field and we can make some tweaks. I think this could get big!
Yes, all calculators in the TI-84 family have FLASH which won't be erased if the battery dies. The TI-84 Plus SE specifically has 1.5mb of FLASH which should be plenty for what you're trying to do. You'll have a really hard time finding a volunteer to write a program for you, we're all humans with life things going on too. We're happy to help you learn how to program the calculator yourself though!
emartin13 wrote:
Do these have solid state software that will not be terminated if the battery dies?

Sort of. There's the flash-based archive, which is non-volatile like a USB flash drive. However, on the TI-84+, you cannot execute programs from the archive, they have to be moved to volatile RAM first. The TI-84+CE supports execution from the archive. The TI-84+/SE also features an internal backup battery, so replacing the batteries will not erase RAM. Since the TI-84+SE has been out of production for a decade, it may be wise to replace the backup battery. However, a crash will also erase RAM, though if you stick to BASIC programs, that won't happen.

emartin13 wrote:
If you write me a program with some of the stuff I spoke about earlier

While I think this is pretty cool, I'm also very wary about putting a medical label on any software I write. The liability issues make me way too nervous to consider doing anything before talking with a lawyer (and I mean like the meet-in-an-office-and-write-a-huge-check kind of lawyer).
DrDnar wrote:
emartin13 wrote:
Do these have solid state software that will not be terminated if the battery dies?

Sort of. There's the flash-based archive, which is non-volatile like a USB flash drive. However, on the TI-84+, you cannot execute programs from the archive, they have to be moved to volatile RAM first. The TI-84+CE supports execution from the archive. The TI-84+/SE also features an internal backup battery, so replacing the batteries will not erase RAM. Since the TI-84+SE has been out of production for a decade, it may be wise to replace the backup battery. However, a crash will also erase RAM, though if you stick to BASIC programs, that won't happen.

emartin13 wrote:
If you write me a program with some of the stuff I spoke about earlier

While I think this is pretty cool, I'm also very wary about putting a medical label on any software I write. The liability issues make me way too nervous to consider doing anything before talking with a lawyer (and I mean like the meet-in-an-office-and-write-a-huge-check kind of lawyer).

That's what a good disclaimer helps with.
Sorry I didn't see all of this sooner. I am still willing to make the program that you are looking for, but after what DrDnar said, I need to say that this program would be more of a "use at your own risk" sort of program. If you still want me to make this program, then could please tell me exactly what equations/formulas you would like the program to include. (Because that website has a lot and no one could possibly include all of them in one program.) Please let me know when the calculator arrives.
I got a ti 84+ SE. Very nice piece of equipment. I'll get back to you on the equations. I'll get you the formulas soon. But for now here are some names of the formulas without the equations.
FENa
FEUREA
Free water deficit in hypernatremia
Serum osmolality
sodium correction for hyperglycemia
sodium correction rate in hyponatremia vs hypernatremia
Winter's formula
And of course equations out of "Burton Rose, Theodore Post - Clinical Physiology of Acid-Base and Electrolyte Disorders-McGraw-Hill (2001)
Also it would be nice to have a list of medications with doses and mechanisms as well as uses. This would maybe be better served in another program.

Just put a clause in your programing that says something like this : this should not be used for the management of patients or for medical use. Not intended for sale.
If you wish, I could write something for you on an Emu48.

Emu48 for Android
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.emulator.forty.eight&hl=en_US&gl=US

This is an emulator of a well-known hand-held calculator, the Hewlett-Packard HP 48GX. Also, for iPhones, there is the Emu50g. This is an emulator of the HP 50g hand-held calculator.

Emu50‪g
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/emu50g/id553279622

Both versions can be kept on your phone's home screen for easy accessibility.
emartin13 wrote:
I also think would be helpful to have a pharmacopoeia on the TI with doses, mechanism of action and indications.

I think the TI you purchased has 1.5 MB of RAM. A pharmacopoeia smartphone app I just viewed has a size of 16 MB, most of which is probably a database. I'm not great with TI programming, but it might be possible to store such a database on a USB flash drive so it can be accessible to a program.
As indicated above, the 84+SE has 1.5 MB of Flash memory, but only 48 KB of RAM if it's a remotely recent hardware revision (the oldest ones have 128 KB of RAM). The OS only takes advantage of 32 KB of RAM anyway, so you get to work with ~24 KB of RAM.

The TI-89 has 256 KB of RAM, of which up to ~180 KB is usable, with a maximum variable size close to 64 KB. TI-Basic programs can be up to 30+ KBs large, but editing such monsters isn't efficient, so it's best to work with smaller programs and sub-programs.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours