NOTE: This post is outdated, skip to the end for the latest news.

Download VYSION!

Introduction
For the last two months, I've been working on a new shell for the TI-84 Plus CE/TI-83 Premium CE calculators, designed to be a Windows-like shell that has the many features I've seen requested for other shells in the past. The reason I'm just announcing it now, in this later stage of development, is because of the large number of announced but incomplete shells for the CE. I didn't want to get people's hopes up without being able to deliver. With that said, here's what VYSION can do so far, and what's planned.

Features
-full filesystem: cut and paste files of all types into folders, and create new folders
-program running: all program types can be run and do not break the shell (including protected TI-BASIC programs)
-convenience: pin your most used programs to the taskbar, or put them on the desktop
-customization: change VYSION's wallpaper, change the colors of the menus and taskbar, make the taskbar transparent or centered, and more

Planned features
-shell locking: turn off the calc, and prompt for a password upon restart, then return to the shell
-themes: easily change the whole appearance of the shell with a few clicks
-hooks: press a key combo to start the shell
-backup: backup your RAM from within the shell

Screenshots
No mockups here, just actual operation of the shell.
-File operations:

-Program running:

-Customization:

Conclusion
That's all for now, but please let me know what you think about the project, or any feature requests and feedback you have. If you'd like to contribute to the development process and be the first to test out new builds of the program, please join my Discord server here. The Github repository for the project can be found here. Thanks for reading, and stay tuned for more updates.
First off, I've jut got to say that, as one of the beta tester, I have really grown to love Vysion. I love how it looks, the many customizable options, and, especially, the Windows-like interface. People need to try this out and I believe that they will love it, if they do. I am very excited for the public release of Vysion and can't wait to see it in the Cemetech archives. Excellent work so far, epsilon5, and good luck finishing Vysion! Smile Good Idea
Looks great!

I'll probably stick with Cesium, though. The backup RAM feature has saved my rear end on more than one occasion.
Michael0x18 wrote:
Looks great!

I'll probably stick with Cesium, though. The backup RAM feature has saved my rear end on more than one occasion.

What if this shell had backup features too?
Awesome! I'm thrilled to see this finally announced! I think the biggest draws for me would be if Vysion had
1) Backup features
2) A way to pin programs for quick access. (Looks like your program is already designed for this though!)
3) xlibce Laughing
epsilon5 wrote:
Michael0x18 wrote:
Looks great!

What if this shell had backup features too?

I'd probably make the switch.
Okay. So to add to the upcoming feature list:
1. backup features

Pinning programs has already been implemented through the taskbar and desktop, so I don't need to do this. Xlibce isn't something I want to get into right away, and I don't have the technical background to pull it off well now.
epsilon5 wrote:
Okay. So to add to the upcoming feature list:
1. backup features

Pinning programs has already been implemented through the taskbar and desktop, so I don't need to do this. Xlibce isn't something I want to get into right away, and I don't have the technical background to pull it off well now.

I'm looking forward to it. I'm very excited to see all of the features implemented and working! Very Happy
As I work on CC24, VYSION is temporarily on hold. I have been using this time off to think about future features for the program, which I look forward to implementing once the contest is over. Here are some of those:
-alpha jumping (press a letter to jump to the entries starting with that letter in menus)
-search
-alternate cursor-based GUI
duuuuude this is great keep it up!

Introduction
I haven't posted on this project for a while, but I've made enough progress that I think another progress report is warranted. In this update, I've added three major new features that I determined to be good ideas based on the community discussions on DCE9 and other CE shells: a new cursor-based GUI, alpha jumping, and an adaptive file operations menu.

Cursor-based GUI
Firstly, it is important to note that this new GUI is not intended to replace the previous box-based GUI. That will remain supported, and users will be able to choose whichever navigation style is desired from within the settings menu, as demonstrated in the screenshot below. In this form of navigation, a cursor can be controlled and used to select objects on the screen, and all menus within the shell will be supported with both GUI methods. In addition, when a menu has an option to scroll, a small box appears above the [trace] and [graph] keys, which can be used to scroll through the menu.

Alpha jumping
This was a fairly high requested feature, so I've added it. In this system, the user of the shell can press [alpha] to bring up a prompt to press a letter key. When it one is pressed, the menu will jump to the options starting with that letter. In addition to this, all files are now sorted alphabetically on program start (there may be more sorting modes later).

Adaptive file operations menu
Before, the file operations menu would show all options for all files, even those that were not available. Now, the file operations menu has been adapted to show only the available options, speeding up use of the shell and reducing potential confusion when some options do not do anything within this menu.

Changelog
[added] alphabetical sorting of files and folders
[added] alpha jumping within menus (press [alpha])
[added] a new cursor mode for the GUI, toggleable in the settings menu
[improved] file operations menu now only shows available selections for the specified filetype
[improved] file operations menu now accessed with [mode]
[fixed] setting a wallpaper could cause a reset
[fixed] scroll bars now work correctly

Conclusion
Thanks for reading and supporting this project! If you have any feature requests, feedback, or suggestions, please post them here.
Yeah I'm determined...
We need a pre-release fr lol
TimmyTurner62 wrote:
Yeah I'm determined...
We need a pre-release fr 0x5

A prerelease will be coming soon, but I need to fix some bugs first. For anyone who is interested in that release, please join my Discord server (linked in the first post) for updates.
I am absolutely loving this project. I am still very amazed by all the awesome features that Vysion CE includes/will include. I don't know how much longer I can wait for the official release of this program.
Thanks for the support, Roccolox!

I've made some minor changes today:
[added] file deletion
[added] folder deletion
[added] deletion confirmation prompt
[fixed] some cursor display bugs
Deletion took longer than I expected to get working, because I needed to account for nested folders and files in these folders, but it seems fairly functional now.

There will be a new pre-release coming very soon on my Discord server, so be sure to join that if you haven't already. I'll post more screenshots once I add another significant feature. As always, please post any suggestions or feedback you have in this thread.
Impressive work, epsilon5!

Will the source code be released along with the pre-release?
Captain Calc wrote:
Impressive work, epsilon5!

Will the source code be released along with the pre-release?

Firstly, thanks for your support!
The release is privately available on my Discord server now, which I linked in the previous post. I'm waiting to release the source code until the 1.0.0 release, or possibly further. It will almost certainly be released at some point, though.

Introduction
With this update, I've added two new notable features: resetting and the lock screen.

Lock screen
An often-requested feature in the other shell threads that I've read through, I've added a new lock screen to VYSION. From within the settings menu, the user is able to choose whether to display the lock screen (shows the time, like on Windows and iOS), the password screen (prompts for a password), neither, or both. While turning the calculator off and then prompting for this password on restart is not currently implemented, it will be soon.

Resetting
With this feature, the user is now able to reset various parts of the shell: the settings, the filesystem, and the state. In addition, the entire shell can be uninstalled from within itself now as well, and will delete all of its appvars to clean up after itself (although I hope no one will take advantage of this feature).

Changelog
[added] new tab in settings menu- Reset
[added] options to reset filesystem, settings, and state
[added] option to uninstall VYSION from within the shell
[added] lock screen (no password yet, just displays the date and time)
[added] new password screen and corresponding system
[added] option to display the lock screen, password screen, both, or neither, on startup
[added] ability to set password from within the settings menu
Looking sharp. Keep up the good work dude.
Suggestion: Add a way to edit the icons of programs, folders, and the cursor. This would be soooo nice. Also, if icon-editing is added, add a transparent tile so that it doesn't look weird with the background.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 11
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours