Yeah, this is going to be great. Under 50 kb for an entire modern OS worth of functionality. I was anticipating a bigger increase but all the optimization I am seeing is very good news. The filesystem appvar is way more dynamic now so that's a win, and with no extra folders/files you're actually making gains on storage efficiency in the beta. I'm conflicted on the wallpapers, high resolution plus good palette codes are something I really wanted to see even after just discovering Vysion 1, but then I have to think about storage... You should be able to get a 320x240 down a long way(<20kb) with zx7, and the palette is like 512 bytes or so, but then you really have to pick and chose wallpapers because you can't just keep a few on-calculator anymore. Everything is still a definite net gain just something to keep in mind. Btw my name is greenturtle5-3-7 not 5-3-6 check your quote, that was painful for me to read.
What is a hook appear?
Thanks, greenturtle537! And keep in mind that ROMs for TI-Boy CE are often several full 64k appvars (and that larger games with many maps or high-resolution graphics are also very large), so storage space is all relative. You shouldn't have a problem keeping a decent number of wallpapers (maybe 10 or so) on the calculator in any case. And I've edited my previous post to fix the issue regarding your username.

S/jr/W wrote:
What is a hook appear?

The hook appvar simply contains some code that will be executed when certain conditions are met within the OS--the only currently implemented one is the start hook, which will execute the shell when the key combination [on]+[prgm] is pressed.
What language would it be written in? It sounds useful to mess with the OS. Also, I didnít know about the [on] shortcut, very useful.
S/jr/W wrote:
What language would it be written in? It sounds useful to mess with the OS. Also, I didnít know about the [on] shortcut, very useful.

This would be written in assembly (the majority of the shell is in C, with some small assembly snippets). And it's good to hear that you think the shortcut would be useful, I find it much more convenient than scrolling through the program menu to find the shell.
Out of curiosity, how would one go about getting into the closed.. alpha? beta? whatever it is now?
You would probably go into the GitHub and request to be a beta tester. At least I think we're on beta now.
darkwater4213 wrote:
Out of curiosity, how would one go about getting into the closed.. alpha? beta? whatever it is now?

We're still in the closed alpha/pre-alpha stage for the time being, and I've been running the tests in my Discord server for small groups of people. I would definitely be open to having some kind of open/semi-open beta once the program is a little more developed, though.

I've been off Discord for a few weeks now and will be off it for the foreseeable future, so don't expect any new tests in the imminent future (though development continues).
Quick question, can I use Vysion on 5.6? I've used aRTIFICE and Cesium in the past, so it might be different. Also, what's this talk of Vysion 2? Is it more updated?
Sorry for being so out of the loop lol Surprised 2
JohnnyD123 wrote:
Quick question, can I use Vysion on 5.6? I've used aRTIFICE and Cesium in the past, so it might be different. Also, what's this talk of Vysion 2? Is it more updated?
Sorry for being so out of the loop 0x5 Surprised 2

As both VYSION and VYSION 2 are assembly programs, they should work fine using arTIfiCE. It's possibly worth noting that I've heard of an issue with the program clearing AsmHook's hook, which I'll need to resolve at some point.

VYSION 2 is a complete rewrite of VYSION, with vastly improved user experience and functionality. It runs on OPTIX 3, which is a complete rewrite of OPTIX 2 (which powered VYSION) and allows for an entirely new GUI, movable/resizable windows, more efficient space usage, and a lot of hacky tricks with custom GUI elements. VYSION 2 also has a much faster and more space efficient filesystem, higher-definition wallpapers, improved customization, icon packs, hooks, and faster start time, and probably a lot more things that I'm forgetting.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 9 of 9
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours