I've written an app which will play the Sonic CD intro.

The video plays back at 15 frames per second and displays with 4 to 7 shades of grey.
There are 4 versions of the app, each with varying levels of resolution. "sonicCD1.8xk" fills the entire screen. The rest of the files take up less space on the calculator but the image quality suffers.
I've tested it on a real Ti-84+ & Ti-84+SE and an emulated Ti-83+SE.

I used a combination of RLE (Run Length Encoding) and LZSS (LZSS) to compress each frame of video. In addition, most frames are very similar to the previous frame, so during the compression I exclusive-or each frame with the previous frame and compress that instead. So any part of the image which hasn't changed would encode as a string of zeros, which compresses very efficiently.

I've also created a python script which will convert a video file into an app which can be sent to your calculator.

I'm happy with where this project is at right now, though I think it would be cool to try and get audio to play alongside the video.

Download:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RV9W1ibEtkywu2_VDgvVIX8ebqB1uaRO/view?usp=sharing

Video:

Edit: Replaced the video link since the old video was deleted.
"I've also created a python script which will convert a video file into an app which can be sent to your calculator."

Can I have this Python script? This would be awesome!
Bio_Hazard1282_rPi3 wrote:
"I've also created a python script which will convert a video file into an app which can be sent to your calculator."

Can I have this Python script? This would be awesome!

It looks like the Python script is included in the Google Drive download.
Sweet! Looks like it's for windows
Bio_Hazard1282_rPi3 wrote:
Sweet! Looks like it's for windows

The executable included is for windows; I don't know how to compile for other operating systems. The raw python file is also included, so if you have python and replace the rabbitsign executable you should be able to use that.
I can't wait to try this out!
After testing it seems to only work well with a certain video resolution. Everything else just looks too big or way too small. What resolution was the sonic cd video you used?
The resolution for the Sonic CD video is 1280x720. After some testing it does indeed look like things get wonky with other resolutions. I'll be sure to fix the problem as soon as I can! Thank you for letting me know!
Let's hope people use this program responsibly. Since most mp4s can be used in this, hopefully, users don't use this for immoral decisions.
The files should be updated now.
After testing this on real hardware, I have to say that I am really surprised how small the files are.

BioHazard wrote:
Let's hope people use this program responsibly. Since most mp4s can be used in this, hopefully, users don't use this for immoral decisions.

Oh... oh no
1) Sonic CD is the best example choice c:
BioHazard wrote:

2) Yeahhhh, not here 0x5
Its already impressive the Sonic 3D Blast intro was squeezed onto a sega genesis cartridge... so why not the Ti-84+?

Oxiti8 wrote:
Its already impressive the Sonic 3D Blast intro was squeezed onto a sega genesis cartridge... so why not the Ti-84+?

Sonic 3D Blast's intro is actually what inspired me to do this project in the first place! I wanted to see if I could do that sort of thing myself - compressing a video to play on a system which wasn't designed to play video.
I just updated the program. The app will now save your settings so you don't have to re-enter them each time you want to watch the video. I also fixed a bug where running the app would sometimes change your graphing settings.
Crazy_Fox2 wrote:
I just updated the program. The app will now save your settings so you don't have to re-enter them each time you want to watch the video. I also fixed a bug where running the app would sometimes change your graphing settings.

Oh awesome! That finally makes this viable for calculator "startup screens."

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours