Plow is a WIP programming language targeting the ti84+ce calculator. Any suggestions about anything are welcome and encouraged.
Github Repo: https://github.com/Dragon-Hatcher/PlowLang (This post is a duplicate of the ReadMe there)

Language Overview

General Plow is a statically typed, type-safe, object-oriented language with functional elements. Meaning: Everything is an object, Inheritance, Polymorphism, Protocols (Interfaces), first-class functions, closures.

Object Model
There will be 3 types of objects: Structs, Classes, and Enums.

* Enums are going to be very simple. Just integers behind the scene. No special features like associated values for now.
    * Classes are just like they are in Java and family. Heap allocated reference types
    * Structs are like classes but value types. They live on the stack and can't be inherited but they can conform to protocols.

You may notice that this is Swift's object model. That's because this is sort of a mashup between Kotlin and Swift.

I am also planning on adding tuples at some point.

Generics
Generic objects will be implemented with type erasure *groans from the crowd*. Yes, yes I know but it seems like the simplest method. I am open to suggestions.
Generic functions will also be type erasure but any interface methods will be passed in by the compiler as well because interface methods calls are probably going to be pretty slow.

Nullibility
Nullability will be safe and marked with a ? after the type. ie. Foo?. I'm still undecided about the exact method for accomplishing this. Suggestions welcome.

Error Model
To start with there will two error systems. A very simple abort/die/panic will immediately exit the process. (Which word do you like better?) This will be what is used for stuff like divide by zero, array index out of bounds, etc.
The second system will be returning nullable types/special objects/tuples.
I might add exceptions in the future but right now that feels too complicated for such a simple
platform.

Type System
There is going to be some type inference, but only one-directional to start with. Function types will always have to be specified explicitly.

Code Sample

Code:
protocol TreeNode<T: Equatable>: Equatable<TreeNode<T>> {
  func traverse(traverser: TreeTraverser<T>)
  //the tree node protocol require the equals function becuase it inherits from equatable
}

/// A simple binary tree implementation
class BinaryTree<T: Equatable>: TreeNode<T> {
  var left: TreeNode<T>? = null
  var right: TreeNode<T>? = null

init() {}
  init(left: TreeNode<T>?, right: TreeNode<T>?) {
    this.left = left
    this.right = right
  }

// satisfies the TreeNode protocol
  // the -> Unit is not required
  override func traverse(traverser: TreeTraverser<T>) -> Unit {
    traverser.apply(this)
    left?.traverse(traverser)
    right?.traverse(traverser)
  }

// satisfies the Equatable protocol
  // also allows the use of the == operator
  override func equals(other: TreeNode<T>) -> Bool = left == other && right == other
}

struct Name: TreeNode<Name>, StringConvertable {
  val first: String
  val last: String

init(first: String, last: String) {
    this.first = first
    this.last = last
  }

override func traverse(traverser: TreeTraverser<Name>) {
    traverser.traverse(this)
  }

//alternate funcition form for when the body is just an expression
  override func toString() -> String = first + ", " + last

override func equals(other: TreeNode<Name>) -> Bool == other is Name && ((other as Name).first == first && (other as Name).last == last)
}

protocol TreeTraverser<T: Equatable> {
  func apply(t: TreeNode<T>)
}

class PrintTraverser<T: (Equatable, StringConvertable)> {
  override func apply(t: TreeNode<T>) {
    println(t.toString())
  }
}

main {
  var node: BinaryTree<Name> = BinaryTree( Name("Jane", "Doe"), Name("Bob", "Builder"))
  var tree: BinaryTree<Name> = BinaryTree( Name("Mateo", "C"), node)

tree.traverse(PrintTraverser<Name>()) 
  //output:
  //Mateo, C
  //Jane, Doe
  //Bob, Builder
}

There may be problems with this code. If something doesn't make sense please contact me.

Current Progress
So far I have completed the lexer and a parser using antlr that generates a CST. I am currently working on converting the CST to a custom AST.

Compilation Pipeline
The current plan is ANTLRv4 -> Custom AST -> Semantic Analyzer -> LLVM -> Binary. This, like everything, is subject to change.

Future Plans
See my Trello: https://trello.com/b/xwbl9FeO/plowlang

Q & A

Is this going to actually be useful?
I don't know. Probably not. This is more of a learning project. If it turns out to actually be useful that's great!
If you have any suggestions on how to make it more practical feel free to make them.

Are you accepting outside help?
First of all, I'm not really expecting anyone to want to contribute to this but if you do: Maybe. This is mostly a learning project
as I said so I don't want other people writing large swaths of it. Little edits will always be welcome. If however, it turns out
to be useful then I will definitely accept community contributions.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are GMT - 5 Hours