I ran kino as root (well, I sudo ran it if that makes a difference).

I didn't read that thoroughly the first time through. I thought I was going to be able to control the camera from the computer (as really I should). That method will probably work, but you have to admit that it sucks.
Well, I came home to a big problem today. I had previously upgraded to EdgyEft on the family computer thinking I was all cool and such. Anyways, when I came home, I was told a story about when my sister was switching the user on Ubuntu, an Nvidia splash screen showed up and they restarted the computer (manually), and when it booted it showed a black screen and then if they hit enter it displayed an error message. I checked it out and apparently Nvidia isn't matching with Xserver or something and it's causing an error and it can't load. I remembered that automatix had made a backup of the Xserver file and said to replace it if a situation like this occurred, so I looked up the command, typed it in to the root prompt in the recovery mode and then rebooted, but that didn't help. Any ideas on what I can do?

I now know to never run Beta software on a family computer...ever!
Try

Code:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

And BTW, the nvidia splash screen is normal (if you didn't know), but the built-in help in Ubuntu gives instructions for disabling it. I'd wager the driver was doing something important when they rebooted it.
the X config is stored at /etc/X11/xorg.conf - I'd look and see if it made a backup
I seem to remember a problem like this happened to me a month or so ago. Try searching the Ubuntu forums if the suggestions above do not work out, I found mine there.
The Tari wrote:
Try

Code:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

And BTW, the nvidia splash screen is normal (if you didn't know), but the built-in help in Ubuntu gives instructions for disabling it. I'd wager the driver was doing something important when they rebooted it.

This wasn't the normal nvidia splash (which I know is normal), this was something different (or so they say).

I'll try that command.

Kllrnohj wrote:
the X config is stored at /etc/X11/xorg.conf - I'd look and see if it made a backup

Already tried that as I tried to explain in my first post (I know, poorly).
You never mentioned doing something like copying xorg.conf.bak to xorg.conf Razz You just said "recovery mode", which could be anything Laughing

Oh, and you can remove that nvidia "splash screen logo" real easy. In 'Section "Screen"' - it'll be the part where it lists all the display modes and depths, just add the line

Code:
Option     "NoLogo" "True"

and you shouldn't see that pesky logo again Smile

For example, here's mine

Code:
....(whole buncha stuff here)....

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "NoLogo" "True"
    Option         "TwinView" "True"
    Option         "NoTwinViewXineramaInfo" "False"
    Option         "IgnoreEDID" "True"
    Option         "TwinViewOrientation" "RightOf"
    Option         "UseEdidFreqs" "False"
    Option         "MetaModes" "1280x1024, 1280x1024; 1280x1024; 1024x768, 1024x768; 1024x768"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes      "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

...(maybe more here - depends)...

EDIT: Oh, and paste the output of "dmesg" here. Also, try launching X directly and seeing if it outputs any warnings or errors (as in type 'startx' at the command line if X keeps crashing) Warnings will have (WW) and errors will have (EE) before the messages

EDIT2: Or, you could even just do 'sudo grep "(EE)" /var/log/Xorg.0.log'

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 6 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours