This looks awesome. The code could use some work, but who cares... Keep up the good work! Very Happy
I tried out the demo and it was pretty awesome! I did run into a strange bug where it would randomly (typically on the first restart) start stuttering so bad, it would get about 1fps and the screen would flicker pink or yellow. Sometimes it would fix itself after a random amount of time which was weird. If I quit and re-entered the game while it was stuttering, it would keep doing it unless I deleted the JTPKDAT file. This leads me to believe there's something getting messed up in the appvar so I've uploaded it here for you to check out: [link removed]

Besides that, the game looks and runs fantastic. Well done!
I tried it out as well and it stutters like TheLastMillenial said, but it didn't reset my ram and it went away after a while. it was kind of like the version right before this one, except that when it is glitching it doesn't go quite so slow, and there are random dots on the screen instead of a solid yellow rectangle. I also deleted the appvar but the problem came back after a while. it worked fine 3 versions ago (before the cool bouncing corpse animation), so I agree with TheLastMillenial that it is probably because of the new appvar formatting u said u had.
Does it occur in CEmu or only on hardware?
randomguy wrote:
...it was kind of like the version right before this one, except that when it is glitching it doesn't go quite so slow, and there are random dots on the screen instead of a solid yellow rectangle ... I agree with TheLastMillenial that it is probably because of the new appvar formatting u said u had.

And thus I have shed many tears and held down ctrl-z for a good 20 seconds and watched ~50 bytes add back to the code. Anyway, I fixed the fix to fix things that didn't need fixing. I've had two people test this and say it didn't have problems, both guessed it had something to do with the missiles and it's believed to happen when the lasers and missiles are onscreen at the same time, which makes sense if the appvar data is reading/writing the missile and laser vars on top of each other and creating bad data. I had checks to fix that but they've been phased out to reduce size, I guess I'll need to look into adding those back (also when was the last version bugging out? I didn't know there were issues with the graphics at the time). Anyway, break it again and I'll fix it before moving on, I'll see about adding the appvar structure back in a cleaner way and work on the game-over screen.

UPDATE 0.15.0:

I've added horizontal zappers since people actually do play this game, obviously that messes up the appvar pretty badly so you'll have to delete it or just watch the fireworks. I also fixed some issues with the jetpack bouncing but that's irrelevant. Try it if you want, please tell me what else I broke!

Oh yeah, have a picture:

UPDATE 0.16.0:

This is just a "I spent 4 hours of sleeping time doing this so Im'ma upload it" update, although I did figure out why missiles were acting weird. The appvar definitely had issues that messed with the gameplay, but the real issue was that I was saving some animation values and then treating them like they were starting at zero upon reloading the game, a frame-perfect exit from the game would cause values to go out of range, and the check system wouldn't know if it needed to be a positive or a negative value. Stuff got out of range, errors ensued, and now we're here. I also made the super-fancy backgrounds and set up a simple scrolling system (because the tilemap functions are overkill) and now the compressed size has gone up by 30kb. I was worried about that, but I think I can dither it down in the future or have lower-res graphics appvars for those who have really tight storage. Considering that people are willing to put TIboy on their calcs and use tons of flash, I don't think I need to worry about size just yet. RAM is an issue though, gotta watch that!

I can't seem to get the update to work, whenever I run it it crashes. Otherwise, it's looking great and I can't wait for the next update! Maybe with menus or power-ups? TIny_Hacker hides
Quote:
RAM is an issue though, gotta watch that!

I'm assuming it's getting low? lol

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 3
» All times are GMT - 5 Hours