I've been working hard on a game engine for the last little while, thought I'd share here.

Currently the engine doesn't work, but that's because I'm switching from a single-source-file engine to a package. Which isn't working well so far, but I'll get there eventually.
The engine currently supports multiple csv format tile layers, single-sprite tile images, transparent tile images, python scripting, entity scripting, and much more! It even provides a function for drawing sprites upon the next draw frame, meant to be used from user scripts. There is support for key handlers, however this is currently untested and still needs work.
Levels are defined with index files. There is currently not a converter for Tiled tsx tileset files, but that is a planned feature.
Any file path passed into an engine function will replace certain patterns into paths based on the current game directory. $DATA points to the game data directory, $LEVEL points to the level data directory ($DATA/level), and $GFX points to the graphics directory. ($DATA/gfx)
This engine is still very much a WIP, but it's a lot more functional than it was 6 months ago.Although I'm not sure of the actual length of time it's taken so far lol

I hope to have a demo release out soon. Hopefully sooner than soon™.
I'm looking forward to seeing this when you're ready to show us more! Beyond the featureset you mentioned it has (seems like a pretty decent base set for creating top-down graphical 2D games), what are you planning? Anything with particles/projectiles, specialized entities (e.g. NPCs with dialog), etc?
KermMartian wrote:
I'm looking forward to seeing this when you're ready to show us more! Beyond the featureset you mentioned it has (seems like a pretty decent base set for creating top-down graphical 2D games), what are you planning? Anything with particles/projectiles, specialized entities (e.g. NPCs with dialog), etc?

Hard to say. The current graphics engine operates entirely with sprites. So it depends if I can figure out how to render graphics primitives properly.

I finally got the engine working again Very Happy
Had a major hurdle with user scripts being able to properly access the game objects without passing it as an argument to all of them.

Amnesiac Engine DEMO release coming very soon Smile
Check the github in the next hour or so.
There is now a demo!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours