Should there be a Warning Banner?
Yes, everywhere on the site!
 87%  [ 27 ]
Yes, but only in the downloads section.
 3%  [ 1 ]
No, there should not be any banner anywhere.
 9%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 31

KermMartian wrote:
PT_ has already prototyped something effective of this kind - currently waiting on figuring out how we can let our users dismiss it if they've read it and don't want to see it any more.

If you implement a close feature, can we bring this to other moduals like the RRS & Social Media, Online Users, and Latest Headlines? I don't need to have those open all the time.
These ideas sound excellent. I have one as well, instead of a square with text on the side, there should be a
warning pop-up when you visit the site and/or log-in with the same message. It should only be showed once when you visit Cemetech.net, so it doesn't pop-up for every single page. I would photoshop a prototype, but unfortunately the Wii U does not have Photoshop.
Quote:
currently waiting on figuring out how we can let our users dismiss it if they've read it and don't want to see it any more.

You could (should, even, in the opinion of a number of us) add a warning now, and delay the decision on how to dismiss the warning - since you want to make it optional - for several more days.
The time to add such a warning, and help prevent some users from becoming unhappy after having done something which they would not have done if they had had the piece of information about the bad side effect of doing it, is in the past. Warning users about things they could well not like is something user-caring sites do Smile

Quote:
If you implement a close feature, can we bring this to other moduals like the RRS & Social Media, Online Users, and Latest Headlines? I don't need to have those open all the time.

The idea is interesting, but I feel that this should not delay the introduction of a warning any further Smile

Quote:
there should be awarning pop-up when you visit the site and/or log-in with the same message

Intra-page warning popups, like the ones for cookies on many sites nowadays, would have to work (at the very least, not prevent usage of the site !) when JS is disabled.
Real pop-ups (new windows), these have been considered strong no-nos for years, and are blocked by ad blockers anyway.

Quote:
It should only be showed once when you visit Cemetech.net

Single-time warnings are not strong enough.
Come on guys keep this at the top since apparently the admins are too busy for five minutes of html
Not even. I already have a modal JS script written, and can easily write one for unobtrusive ones too. Would take me 2 minutes tops.
Please stop wasting time trying to add features to a simple warning box! If the offline Cemetech works with a simple box then move it to the live version!
TheLastMillennial wrote:
Please stop wasting time trying to add features to a simple warning box! If the offline Cemetech works with a simple box then move it to the live version!

That's kinda like me, I would make something small and then decide to add all these "cool" features and then it's >5,000 bytes in size :p
Keeping this at the top because apparently there doesn't exist any time in the day anymore to add ten lines to a website.
Congratulations, even TI themselves display warnings faster than Cemetech does ? Wink
I mean - critor or Adriweb noticed that at least the French version of TI-Connect CE's download page started, at some point, displaying a warning about ASM being removed from OS 5.5 onwards, supposedly to prioritize learning ("prioriser l'apprentissage") and minimize security ("minimiser les risques de sécurité"). These are good weasel words for "preserve profits", but well, they're a for-profit corporation anyway Smile

Here's a screenshot from that page:

Source: https://ti-pla.net/t24172

From IRC on the evening of the day before yesterday (CEST timestamps):
Quote:
[...]
[19:51:26] <MateoC> The admins here are useless
[19:51:42] <MateoC> Takes months just to approve a simple change
[19:52:45] <MateoC> Now I have to deal with all these emails
[20:19:03] <KermPhD> We're working on it. Multiple admins want to do it right, not quick.
[20:19:17] <MateoC> That's the wrong solution.
[20:19:23] <MateoC> But whatever
[20:19:59] <MateoC> Do it quick, then make it better.
[...]
[20:53:35] <debrouxl> Psh. Some of the admins don't want to do it right, they want to help TI increasing the number of calculators infected with OS 5.5+ Wink
[20:54:02] <MateoC> Clearly
[...]
TI has actually had a mostly up-front warning for quite a while now. I noticed this about a week ago.

For those who didn't see the update in SAX, PT_ has the warning working in the offline version of Cemetech we just need Kerm (who is too busy looking at reddit Razz ) or Tari to make it go live.
Quote:
For those who didn't see the update in SAX, PT_ has the warning working in the offline version of Cemetech we just need Kerm (who is too busy looking at reddit Razz ) or Tari to make it go live.

How long does it take to push a friggin update? Does it not take less time than looking at a Reddit post?
I made a nice modern looking signature banner, same size as the rest of 'em. Copy this link: https://i.imgur.com/LVL5jBY.png and put it in your signature while we wait for an admin to push the update, if you want.

TheLastMillennial wrote:
TI has actually had a mostly up-front warning for quite a while now. I noticed this about a week ago.

Yes it was/is on the OS update pages, but that has now appeared on TI Connect CE's (french) page toi now Smile
There's still no banner that I can see, even after Ctrl+F5. I can see the other sites' banners.
EDIT: now it somehow shows up. Go figure. Maybe PT_ fixed something ?
At least, at long last, the warning became available...
Yay! The banner is up!
TIny_Hacker wrote:
Yay! The banner is up!

Not sure if the banner looks better on newer browsers, but the banner on the Wii U is disfunctional xD
This banner would also be a good idea for TI|BD and ticalc.org.

We would (or I can) contact Xeda_Elnara, Trenly, or Myles_Zadok
Finally! Thank you! Smile
Bio_Hazard1282_rPi3 wrote:

TiCalc doesn't need a banner, they have the news story on their front page and it is hard to miss.
Bio_Hazard1282_rPi3 wrote:

We would (or I can) contact Xeda_Elnara, Trenly, or Myles_Zadok

Hmm, I'm not seeing a way to do this on wikidot ._.
Nomkid wrote:
Quote:

How long does it take to push a friggin update? Does it not take less time than looking at a Reddit post?

This is absolutely disrespectful, as are a handful of other recents posts in this topic.

Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours