Hello Cemetech, over the past few months I have been working on a minimal UEFI bootloader that I foresee being complete in the near-ish future. I'm an avid Linux user and I'm saddened by the lack of options when it comes to the bootloader world. systemd gets a lot of hate but GRUB has similar feature bloat and security issues. That's why I'm proud to announce my upcoming bootloader project, TinyOSL! It's currently under 200 lines of code and will probably stay under 500 lines by the time it is complete. Feel free to ask about the design and current status. I will say that partition detection has been giving me quite a hard time but I think I figured out a way to do it and I'll be implementing it.
The source code will be going public on my Github very soon.
Interesting! What are some of the options that you're planning on supporting at this stage?
CavesUnderscore wrote:
Hello Cemetech, over the past few months I have been working on a minimal UEFI bootloader that I foresee being complete in the near-ish future. I'm an avid Linux user and I'm saddened by the lack of options when it comes to the bootloader world. systemd gets a lot of hate but GRUB has similar feature bloat and security issues. That's why I'm proud to announce my upcoming bootloader project, TinyOSL! It's currently under 200 lines of code and will probably stay under 500 lines by the time it is complete. Feel free to ask about the design and current status. I will say that partition detection has been giving me quite a hard time but I think I figured out a way to do it and I'll be implementing it.
The source code will be going public on my Github very soon.

Cool!
Does it (or will it) support automatic usb detection?
tr1p1ea wrote:
Interesting! What are some of the options that you're planning on supporting at this stage?

At this point, I planning on having a text menu-based UI that will allow a user to switch between which OSes they want to boot and eventually I'll add in command line options (though I first need to get the basic menu working before I even think about implementing this).
I'd think about making this a Coreboot/Libreboot payload down the line if I ever get the hardware.
dr-carlos wrote:

I believe that's more of the job of the Boot Manager rather than the OS loader, though my bootloader does get a buffer of all block device handles- that may or may not include USBs, the UEFI spec wasn't super clear on that.

I will say that it [my bootloader] only supports the modern GPT partitioning standard and I'm not going to add support for MBR or El Torito. Most newer computers only support GPT because they don't have a CSM and most likely your computer (as long as it's at most 10-12 years old) supports GPT.
CavesUnderscore wrote:

dr-carlos wrote:

I believe that's more of the job of the Boot Manager rather than the OS loader, though my bootloader does get a buffer of all block device handles- that may or may not include USBs, the UEFI spec wasn't super clear on that.

Sorry if my question wasn't clear.
Does it support detecting devices connected to the computer and showing them as bootable options without having to specificially add them in a config?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours