Something: indeed, no Python for you on your slightly too old 83PCE / 84+CE.
Anyway, due to highly insufficient hardware, TI's implementation of Python for the 83PCE EP is pretty much the weakest one across all graphing calculator models, only good for relatively simple algorithmics-oriented programs.
Lionel Debroux wrote:
Something: indeed, no Python for you on your slightly too old 83PCE / 84+CE.
Anyway, due to highly insufficient hardware, TI's implementation of Python for the 83PCE EP is pretty much the weakest one across all graphing calculator models, only good for relatively simple algorithmics-oriented programs.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Well, I wouldn't have upgraded anyways. I'm assuming the ARM co-processor is what makes it so much faster.
Any other updates? What are we doing to try and come to terms with TI? What are people doing to try and spread the word? Is there any plan?

I've been doing my best, making articles, making a video, posting around reddit but I feel as though I'm doing it alone. Especially since I only made my reddit account a few days ago, my low karma and unknown reputation have made it exceedingly difficult to promote my video (I'm recognized as a 'website with a reddit account' right now; this got me banned from r/gadgets). When I create original articles, it gets taken down by low-karma-moderation bots. When the article is manually approved 26 hours later, dozens of new articles bury mine and it's never seen. This just happened to my article on r/education. I need help from those who have been around reddit longer, have more karma, and have a good reputation to spread articles and the news to educators!

I know we got our wave of press when the news finally got picked up by tech channels but I think we've been targeting the wrong people. Sure a lot of tech people saw this news but how many teachers and educators that actually have big influence over TI saw it? I believe we need to try and inform the teachers out there about this ordeal and explain why TI's action is unjust and what they can do to help us. But I need to know that there's people out there willing to help me; otherwise it feels like I'm fighting a lost cause.
I’m willing to help, I just don’t know what I should be doing. A coordinated effort by people from Cemetech,
TI-Planet, TI-Calc, and other calculator websites could be a good idea.
TI-Planet is already showing a warning in the header of every page.
critor wrote:
TI-Planet is already showing a warning in the header of every page.
This was a great idea, and I think that it will work well for people who visit TI-Planet. The issue is that for people (mostly students) who don’t, they will likely never receive the information and could make the mistake of upgrading. I don’t know what the best way to combat this is, but it may be worth discussion.
CodeWalrus also started showing strong warnings on every page approximately at the same time as TI-Planet did, AFAICT.
And yes, many - probably most - students won't receive the information until it's too late for them, despite the community members' best efforts. Users will have to rely on exploits (when they're available), just like Nspire users have been doing for a decade.
Hello everyone,

I've just released arTIfiCE, a "jailbreak" for the TI CE calculators with OS 5.5 and 5.6.
It brings back ASM programs and games!

More information, download, install instructions, and an FAQ, are available on the website: https://yvantt.github.io/arTIfiCE/

Yours truly, fighting for the freedom of peaceful assembly,
Enjoy Smile
Awesome Smile And compatible with Cesium, nice.
This is amazing! Thank you YvanTT! Although now I've got to go make a ton of updates to articles, make a new video, but overall rejoice! Laughing
This is great news! Hope restored!

I can keep working on my projects still Smile.
Haha that didn't take long. Good job!

I like the coordinated posting on all the community websites Razz
Speed-edited a video explaining how to install games using the exploit:

I tried to optimize it for searches a bit - hopefully, it will help cut down on the number of questions we'll get about assembly and ERR: INVALID in the future.
Nice work, very informative - this will definitely help out people with questions.

(I like the Dino Run plug too Razz)
Excuse me? Now I want Cabri back! How long do you think it will take TI to patch this?
Probably less than a week or two, if the timestamp differences between a new Nspire exploit being released and a new build fixing the exploited vulnerability are to be believed...
The bug in Cabri? Probably less than a week.
To prevent you from sending an older version of Cabri? Probably longer.
Actually releasing the updates? Probably several weeks after they make the fix, based on the amount of time previous updates took. But you never know, they might see this as important and release sooner.
commandblockguy wrote:
The bug in Cabri? Probably less than a week.
To prevent you from sending an older version of Cabri? Probably longer.
Actually releasing the updates? Probably several weeks after they make the fix, based on the amount of time previous updates took. But you never know, they might see this as important and release sooner.

But also, how long until their fix makes its way onto the production line, another few weeks, and how long till those calcs make their way to retail stores around the world, a couple months probably. It doesn't matter if the update is available on their website, the vast majority of calculators are never updated. What matters is what they come pre-loaded with. Besides, school has already started, so the yearly back-to-school boom will contain exclusively vulnerable calcs.
And this is all assuming they hear about this and start tackling it right away, it might take a little while before news of this spreads to someone who cares at TI, delaying the whole thing. Wink
Hi,

Based on recent development I just released a boot hack for the 83PCE working on all pre revision M hardware.
It removes OS verification at boot and minimal install version

Code is at https://github.com/Ne3s2-3p4/Cauldron

Enjoy
cool

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 5 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours