Would the community like a game gear emulator on the ti84 plus CE?
Yes
 60%  [ 9 ]
No
 40%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 15

Heya, so I was looking at the ti84 plus CE specs and saw it had a 50mhz ez80 cpu, 154kb of ram and the gamegear has a 3.579545 Mhz cpu, and 24kb of ram. To me it seems possible that a gamegear emulator could possibly by built for the ti84 plus CE, however I cannot program and would would like the thoughts of the community on this
My thoughts:

Quote:
I cannot program

Learn to program. Welcome to Cemetech Smile
This sounds like a great idea! I enjoy playing my game gear, and it would be cool to have one on calc
I had honestly thought about attempting this at some stage given some of the similarities - however the CPU/RAM aren't the issue it's getting the VDP to work fast enough.

Still something worth investigating however.
MateoConLechuga wrote:
My thoughts:

Quote:
I cannot program

Learn to program. Welcome to Cemetech Smile

I'd love to, tbh. Smile. From my understanding, I believe the ti84 plus CE uses basic?
tr1p1ea wrote:
I had honestly thought about attempting this at some stage given some of the similarities - however the CPU/RAM aren't the issue it's getting the VDP to work fast enough.

Still something worth investigating however.

Umm... Noob question, but, what is VDP?
It uses a programming language called TI-BASIC, which is similar to regular BASIC. However, TI-BASIC would be far too slow for a project like this. You can also write C, C++, and ez80 assembly programs for the CE, which are fast enough for an emulator but harder to learn. I wouldn't recommend an emulator as a first project, as it requires you to know a whole lot about both the CE's processor and the gamegear's. Instead, it might be easier and more fun to pick a single gamegear game and try to re-create it using the C toolchain.

VDP is short for Video Display Processor. It's a piece of hardware in the gamegear that actually draws things to the screen, similar to a graphics card in a computer. An emulator would have to do the VDP's job as well if you want games to be able to show anything on the screen.

Also, please edit your posts rather than making a new reply, if less than a day has passed and nobody else has replied yet.
VDP is the Game Gear's Video Display Processor - ironically based on a TI chip!

It takes care of all the graphics and such.

That being said it is just tilemaps and sprites - so it would be doable ... just the speed at which it could be done accurately (per scanline stuff etc) is the concern.
commandblockguy wrote:
It uses a programming language called TI-BASIC, which is similar to regular BASIC. However, TI-BASIC would be far too slow for a project like this. You can also write C, C++, and ez80 assembly programs for the CE, which are fast enough for an emulator but harder to learn. I wouldn't recommend an emulator as a first project, as it requires you to know a whole lot about both the CE's processor and the gamegear's. Instead, it might be easier and more fun to pick a single gamegear game and try to re-create it using the C toolchain.

VDP is short for Video Display Processor. It's a piece of hardware in the gamegear that actually draws things to the screen, similar to a graphics card in a computer. An emulator would have to do the VDP's job as well if you want games to be able to show anything on the screen.

Also, please edit your posts rather than making a new reply, if less than a day has passed and nobody else has replied yet.

Thank you. Ya, that'd be way too much for a first project. It'd be way over my head
CAN SOMEONE CODE THIS ALREADY PLEASE ASK THE TI-BOY CE GUYS THEY WOULD PROBOBLY HELP U
No but if I spam coca-cola or DJ Omnimaga commercials in all-caps I'll get banned, same if I do it to request softwares.

I have the feeling that no one at the moment has the time or motivation to code this. Whoever does have motivation and time is probably working on a different project at the moment. I myself do not know C and once my motivation isn't directed towards music making I wanted to learn C, except that I prefer making games so I definitively won't be the person that will make a Game Gear emulator.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours