Hey all,

I'm in a pissy mood today.

My mother was cooking all day for a "ROUXBE" lesson. ROUXBE is an online vegan cooking class. My family is mostly vegan/*tarian, (I'm Pescatarian). She made a Kabocha soup for supper today, and I admit was pretty tasty. We have real hardwood flooring, this'll make sense later.

I have an eating strategy of eating off and on throughout the day, without any set meals apart from supper. This conflicts with her hyper-focused, probably unhealthy drive to cook without interuption. I walk into the kitchen to grab some hummus and pretzels, (which takes about a minute to put the hummus in the bowl, and put the pretzels in another). We have a rather large kitchen and ths shouldn't be a problem as she's on the complete other side. She makes an audible sigh as if I's ruined her day by walking into the kitchen and not being in her way by any stretch of the imagination.

^ This sort of thing happened a few times, but not of a notable quantitiy. When we were eating supper, peacefully. I scoot my chair a little inward. But, due to a combo of the felt pads on the legs being worn, and pristine-clean floring with 0% slip, it made a loud sound and didn't move much at all.

My mother instantly yells "YOU'RE GONNA MESS UP THE FLOOR!!!!".
I say, "no", calmly.
I add on, "this has happened before and no damage was done"
Both my parents chip in and say seperatly, in different ways some thing along the lines of "we have 50 years under our belt and we don't believe you"

I stand up, move the chair, and show them that no damage was done the the flooring

"No, we still don't believe you"

Later on in the day, I'm watching TV downstairs, and come up for a bagel and mango paste. I go about my action normally, until I see some almond butter in the fridge. I promptly grab the jar and a spoon and eat a spoonful.

My mom (in the next room), yells, "What are you doing?".
I say, "Hold on a second," as I still have some almond butter in my mouth.
"you're probably PIGGING out again!" she rudly interjects.
"No. i'm just having a spoon of almond butter, and am gonna have a bagel when I'm done"
My parent both yell, "NO!!!"

My mom comes up with, on the spot, without thinkng at all, that there is a new rule that I have to ask to go into the kitchen, b/c I may get in her way. And, I have to ask to grab something out of the kitchen to eat.
Yeah.
What?

I already know she's gonna keep me out of the kitchen at all costs, to keep her from being distracted from cooking. Maybe focus on what you're doing and not whats going on around you next time?

Thank you for coming to my TED talk...
I feel kind of bad for telling you this but I also don't believe you regarding the wooden floor. I once saw someone's wooden floor near a former computer desk. It was very obvious where the chair used to be because of the damage done to the floor.
ProgrammerNerd wrote:
I feel kind of bad for telling you this but I also don't believe you regarding the wooden floor. I once saw someone's wooden floor near a former computer desk. It was very obvious where the chair used to be because of the damage done to the floor.

I need to rebut this.

Computer chairs do a lot of damage and you tend to sit at the computer for hours on end. Not because of the wheels on the chair, but also because of your shoes/feet.

My parents have had wood floors in their home for probably three decades and there's very little damage under the kitchen table. Over time the finish and seal does wear down to where you can make out some scuffs but no where near the degree that you'd see under a computer desk/chair.

That said, I've also done exactly what Izder456 has described. It is not a pleasant sound.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours