HURRY! Only first 100,000 downloads get through...

http://download.windowsvista.com/preview/prerc1/en/download.html
Ill keep my Ubuntu, thanks.

and Jaguar already looks a lot nicer than Vista, and its only been in the works for under 2 years....
meh, can't run it anyways.
Oh, don't worry, my Gentoo isn't going anywhere - but Cedega/wine just doesn't work for gaming....

As for the OS X interface - I can't stand it, I hate using it, and I don't find its looks to be all that great. I'll take GNOME's ClearLooks over OS X any day....
5% Very Happy

Is this the full fledged Vista? I can't believe they would give away a $300 product for free, even if it's for beta testing.
Chipmaster wrote:
Is this the full fledged Vista? I can't believe they would give away a $300 product for free, even if it's for beta testing.

It is indeed the current "full fledged" vista - obviously there will be crashes, missing features, etc... as they haven't made it into the build yet, but rest assured this will be immediately terminated upon the official release... Wink

EDIT: Oh, and 15% Very Happy
elfprince13 wrote:
Ill keep my Ubuntu, thanks.

and Jaguar already looks a lot nicer than Vista, and its only been in the works for under 2 years....

I prefer Linux too, but I'll look at other OSes, if only by VMware or Bochs...
why bother downloading the crappy version of an OS I dont really like from a company I hate? neither of my computers is in a position to be able to handle aeroglass which is the only thing that makes Vista even try to stand out from any other OS, and I dont even really see the need for your entire desktop to be a DirectX 10 environment anyway.
There are some important reasons to have the entire desktop accelerated (it isn't DX10 - not yet anyway). For one, it makes better use of the GPU, offloading work from the CPU - meaning faster redraws, regardless of how busy the CPU is. Also, games that run in a window will now run faster, as there is no longer the 3d/2d switching in the driver.
Cool! =D

Is it possible for me to install on my external hard drive and boot from that?
Harq wrote:
Cool! =D

Is it possible for me to install on my external hard drive and boot from that?

yes
(If you've got a recent enough system)
ummm... How recent is recent? I have a dell 4600c (I am in the process of converting my hard-drive to ntfs now also...)
Looks interesting. Not that I'll pay for Vista anyway...
If it came with XP, I would hope its fine.
Harq wrote:
(I am in the process of converting my hard-drive to ntfs now also...)

Uh... what do you mean? If it came with XP pre-installed it should already have been NTFS. But thats beyond the point, as converting == bad. A reformat is the best way to change the filesystem...
Kllrnohj wrote:
Harq wrote:
(I am in the process of converting my hard-drive to ntfs now also...)

Uh... what do you mean? If it came with XP pre-installed it should already have been NTFS. But thats beyond the point, as converting == bad. A reformat is the best way to change the filesystem...

I mean my external hard-drive. And I did reformat it.
I'd download it if there was a 64 bit edition, so when I end up buying it I could just run an upgrade. As it is, though, I'll stick with my 32 bit beta 2.
I don't have the beta 2, so this is the first I'll try it...

There should be improvements/fixes over Beta2 though Wink
Yeah, I don't really feel like taking a couple days to download it, but what the hey, I guess I will...
What I really need to find is a 64 bit ISO somewhere.
Yay, I finished. Can this be run from multiple computers. Like if I were to burn it to a dvd, could a install it on my other computer or is it something like one key per download (because I really don't feel like downloading another copy).

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours