So I am trying to make a ray casting game using ICE. The only problem is I can’t figure out how to display textures on to the walls. If you did not know ray casting is a technique to make a 2D map into a 3D world (for more information look at the wikipedia article). Long story short, I need to make each splice of a the wall textured. So far I have the 16 by 16 image saved to a sprite on my calculator and I need a way to take each splice of the image and display it onto the wall.

Question: How do I split up the sprite into multiple pieces/splices to display to my screen? Remember these splices have to be display at different hight and are one pixel wide.

What I have considered:
I have considered splitting the one 16x16 sprite into 16 different sprites that are 1 pixel wide and are 16 pixels high. This would not work because to texture the walls I would need to input the x value of the block slice location and get out the corresponding x value texture. The variables for the pointers to the sprites can’t be used to find the x position for the wall texture.
Sorry if this sound a bit confusing. I am kinda new to this.
Capspop wrote:
Long story short, I need to make each splice of a the wall textured. So far I have the 16 by 16 image saved to a sprite on my calculator and I need a way to take each splice of the image and display it onto the wall.

I'd suggest a tilemap instead of a sprite. A tilemap is a bunch of sprites [tiles] put into one big "map", making a {tile}{map}. This solution will make higher-res wall textures with a tiny performance drop, and a smaller programme size [I think?].

As for implementing this, I do not know, As I've never used ICE to any great extent, but I'm sure someone else on this forum could help you a lot with implementing a tilemap
Izder456 wrote:

I'd suggest a tilemap instead of a sprite.

Is it possible to resize the tilemap and display the tiles at random intervals?
Capspop wrote:
Is it possible to resize the tilemap and display the tiles at random intervals?

I don't really know, but when there's a will, there's a way.

You'd have to ask someone else; as I said, I never really gotten into ICE programming.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours