Is there a good way I can split a string containing delimiters in TI-basic? I know about the Sub( command, but I'm not sure if that would help in my case.

Say I have Str1 and it contains "63621}Test}ThisIsSomeText}1.2.3}". My goal is to get them split by their delimiter "}" so that way I maybe can do something like
Output(part1)
Output(part2)
Output(part3)
Output(part4)

and get something like this:
Test
ThisIsSomeText

The length of each part will be different every time and there will not always be just 4 items
This works on my TI 84+. The -> is the Sto key. The “ “->Str3 moves a space to the Str3 string, but I don’t know how to initialize Str3 without the space. This displays the text below with a space before each of the lines.

TEST
THISISSOMETEXT

I code on an iPad, so I’m not very good on the TI 84.

Code:
"63621}TEST}THISISSOMETEXT}1.2.3}"->Str1
" "->Str3
For(S,1,length(Str1)
sub(Str1,S,1)->Str2
If Str2="}"
Then
Disp Str3
" "->Str3
Else
Str3+Str2->Str3
End
End

Code:

This is the code on my iPad.
I wrote it there first and converted it to TI basic above.

function setup()
    str1="63621}TEST}THISISSOMETEXT}1.2.3}"
    str3=""
    for s=1,#str1 do
        str2=string.sub(str1,s,s)
        if str2=="}" then
            print(str3)
            str3=""
        else
            str3=str3..str2
        end
    end
end
Matt11 wrote:
Is there a good way I can split a string containing delimiters in TI-basic? I know about the Sub( command, but I'm not sure if that would help in my case.

Yep, that is totally doable, and the Sub() command is definitely helpful!
A lot of languages have a built-in split() methods, which would return a collection object, but since ti-basic isn't object-oriented and by extension, doesn't support collection types, there's no data type that could contain the result of a traditional split() command. However, that doesn't prevent us from simply going through the string and looking for the delimiters.

Here's how I would go about doing it:

Code:
"LINE{DELIMITER{TEST{STRING→Str1
1→B
inString(Str1,"{→A
While A
If A>1
Disp sub(Str1,B,A-B
A+1→B
inString(Str1,"{",B→A
End
If B<length(Str1
Disp sub(Str1,B,length(Str1)-B+1

This routine will account for the input string starting or ending with a line delimiter, as well as the input string containing no delimiters at all. If you already know that the string won't start or end with a delimiter, you can take out the two if statements. It won't account for there being 2 delimiters in a row though. If you want to use an extra delimiter to signify it should skip 2 lines, you can always use a space ("{ {") so that there aren't 2 delimiters in a row.
Here’s a modification of my above code.

Code:

"63621}TEST}THISISSOMETEXT}1.2.3}"→Str1
1→B
For(S,1,length(Str1)
If sub(Str1,S,1)="}"
Then
Disp sub(Str1,B,S-B)
S+1→B
End
End

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours