Does anyone have any BASIC string compressors/decompressors? I really need one for my contest entry, or it is going to end up using way too much space. I researched some algorithms and know how to implement them, I'm just not sure any of them would be as good or effective as y'all's. For reference, I store my strings a separate program like this:

Code:
If M=­1:"<A_260_char_string>
If M=­2:"<Another_260_char_string>
If M=­3:"<A_3rd_260_char_string>

Thanks!
There was a competition in 2016 for who could come up with the best string compression based on speed and compression ratio. Here are some solutions.

I wasn't able to find the PT_'s solution which seems to have been wiped off the face of the forum. I can't speak for the others but you can use my code if you want. It didn't win the contest though Laughing

Edit: I don't know if the rules of the new contest allow stealing code. You should make sure it isn't against the rules.
Sorry for replying late, I'm not really sure why I did that...
I will probably use your compressor, as it is the only true "compression," and works with what I need. earthnite+jonbush's solution only removed the spaces, which would not work for me, and lirtosiast's solution wasn't really compression at all (at least not what I needed). Thanks for the help!
P.S. Got a decompressor to go along with it? If not oh well, I'll just do it myself :ℙ

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours