Some people mentioned that several of the quotes range from off-color to outright objectionable. Can you filter the list it uses a bit, please?
some are a little differnt, and some use don't come out right, like one I saw the & stuff.
I'm sorry, but I have to agree with Kerm about the "objectional" part.
I found the one "Chuck norris recently changed his middle name to fucking" a bit offending.
There are a couple of sexually suggestive ones that don't really fit into the paradigm of this website...
bah, get over it. Don't be so sensitive Rolling Eyes

FREE SPEECH FTW!
Kllrnohj wrote:
bah, get over it. Don't be so sensitive Rolling Eyes

FREE SPEECH FTW!
Free speech certainly, but free access too, which by US law means I must protect those under 13 from certain content (via the COPPA law), not to mention protecting the site image.
I notice you haven't changed it yet... Evil or Very Mad
I am really opposed to changing it. If you (Kerm) absolutely insist, I can perhaps make a "safe" version, but I'm not guaranteeing that it will be in a timely fashion or that will it be perfect at filtering objectionable content. I advise those who are under 13 obey the TOS and leave. If you are over 13 and object and are not Kerm, I hate to say this, but tough cookies. If you can't handle a naughty word, then perhaps you are not mature enough to be on these forums.
jpez wrote:
I am really opposed to changing it. If you (Kerm) absolutely insist, I can perhaps make a "safe" version, but I'm not guaranteeing that it will be in a timely fashion or that will it be perfect at filtering objectionable content. I advise those who are under 13 obey the TOS and leave. If you are over 13 and object and are not Kerm, I hate to say this, but tough cookies. If you can't handle a naughty word, then perhaps you are not mature enough to be on these forums.
I completely agree; however, I can understand how Kerm would not want his site image hurt.

To those who have complained (other than Kerm's valid argument IMHO): seriously, once you leave your house you are in the real world and you are likely to hear a number of "objectionable" words. Although you can view the internet in your home (most of you), you have basically left your house when you do, surrendering most rights.

Also, I don't see what the big deal is about some words. Words alone cannot hurt, it's what we associate them with that can. If you're not mature enough to let them pass without getting upset--than I agree with jpez--use your right leave!
Oh, and for the trillionth time, those less than thirteen are allowed to be here, but must have parental/guardian consent according to phpBB's COPPA thingamajiggie (yes, that's the technical term).
KermMartian wrote:
Oh, and for the trillionth time, those less than thirteen are allowed to be here, but must have parental/guardian consent according to phpBB's COPPA thingamajiggie (yes, that's the technical term).

Then obviously their parents approve of this site Very Happy
Anyone who wants to can visit the site, though... Even without parental consent.
But that law releases the site from responsibility if individuals choose to do that.
Chipmaster wrote:
But that law releases the site from responsibility if individuals choose to do that.
Precisely. And even though I'm protected like that, I'd prefer to have a site that's morally responsible.
several things about your signature:

1)

it isn't even smart enough to properly parse the list....yeesh

2) while you may not enjoy it your agreed to this when you registered:

Cemetech TOS wrote:
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should they see fit.

if you can't abide by that then feel free to contact one of the administrators to have us delete your account. I just watched one community be almost destroyed because the populace couldn't stop second-guessing it's leader and Im not gonna stand to watch it happen here.

kllrnohj wrote:
FREE SPEECH FTW!
you forget this isn't a publicly owned or operated forum and thus you are no longer legally guaranteed free speech. So while Kerm is for the most part pretty relaxed about such things if he says to stop doing it than you better respect that if you want to maintain his relaxed attitude. topic locked.

[edit]
oh yeah, and JPez, put this before any output is performed:

Code:

header('pragma: no-cache');
Kllrnohj requested this unlocked. Elfprince definitely has got it here.
I was feeling nice today and I filtered some of the more objectionable content. Smile As for the html entities...I'll fix that at some point.
Quote:
thingamajiggie

jpez wrote:
I was feeling nice today and I filtered some of the more objectionable content. Smile As for the html entities...I'll fix that at some point.
Thank you JPez; I haven't seen anything terrible yet.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours