This topic is going to a rant about various nuances of plot, and similar things, that ruin certain books/series

DAN BROWN AND HIS "PLOT TWIST"
When I was like 12, I read Digital Fortress at the recommendation of my Dad, and I quite enjoyed the story, the suspense, the technology, the intrigue, and then THE TWIST! I was unprepared, and it was great. I decided that I liked Dan Brown, and I decided to read all of his books.

I read Deception Point next, and I enjoyed it, until the story neared it's conclusion.... and it was the same twist once again!
At this point, I figured that it was a coincidence, or that I only noticed because I had read the books one shortly after the other.
I didn't read any of his other books for a few years, then I read his Robert Langdon series, and much do my disappointment, each book had the SAME EXACT UNDERLYING PLOT!!
In all of his books, something happens, and throughout the course of the book, the reader goes from only having hints about who did it or why, but eventually it seems like we know who the antagonist is. Hooray! But then... it is unveiled that a person, that the reader thought was a friend and confidant of the protagonist, was in fact the villian the whole time, and the person that we thought was the antagonist is actually innocent (or at least far less guilty)...

The last few days I have been reading Origin, the latest installment in the Robert Langdon saga. As i neared the end, I was pleasantly surprised that Dan Brown seemed to have departed from his (questionable) favorite plot device... but as soon as I had that thought, pieces started falling into place, and I, along with the protagonist (though he rook forever to reach the conclusion), realized that YET AGAIN THE REAL VILLAIN WAS SOMEONE THAT WE THOUGHT WAS A FRIEND AND THE OTHER GUY WAS ACTUALLY INNOCENT! I was also somewhat disappointed when the secret that had been hyped up throughout the entire novel turned out to be kinda lame and underwhelming, but that's another story I don't know why I thought this book would be different, but it wasnt...

TLDR; Dan Brown books all have the same plot, you can't change my mind but for some reason I still like them

Also, pretty much the entirity of Angels and Demons irritates me, because of the quite inaccurate way that antimatter is portrayed.... maybe I don't actually like his books as much as I think I do XD

----------------------------------------------------

ANNOYING NARRATORS THAT RUIN AUDIOBOOKS

There have been quite a few times where I've wanted to listen to a belived series of books in audiobook format, but I chose not to because the narrator annoyed me or made stylistic decisons that clash with my mental image of the story and what not...

The most irritating example of this that I have encountered thus far is with the narrator of the Inheritance Cycle (by Christopher Paolini) audiobooks. 80% of the time, the narrator sounds fine, and I thought I liked him, when I was listening to Eragon, up until the point that Saphira (a female dragon who communicates wiTH HER MIND) first spoke... to my horror, the narrator adopted a growly, gravely, and utterly terrible voice... which I hate! It doesnt make any sense to me that her mental voice would sound like that... when I read the books, I get the inpresson that her voice is somewhat elegant sounding, and distinctly feminine, NOT growly and gravely as if spoken through a physical voicebox unaccustomed to human speech (which is 100% not the case)

This probably shouldn't irritate me as much as it does, but whatever...

Also, the guy that narrates the Percy Jackson and the Olympians books does a REEEAALLYYYY annoying voice for the pegasus characters, but they have so little dialog in relation to the total of the series that I can deal with it even though trying to go back and read that series is painful because they seem WAY more juvenile than they need to be

------------------------------------------------
Pieman7373 wrote:
...I was listening to Eragon, up until the point that Saphira (a female dragon who communicates wiTH HER MIND) first spoke... to my horror, the narrator adopted a growly, gravely, and utterly terrible voice... which I hate! It doesnt make any sense to me that her mental voice would sound like that... when I read the books, I get the inpresson that her voice is somewhat elegant sounding, and distinctly feminine, NOT growly and gravely as if spoken through a physical voicebox unaccustomed to human speech (which is 100% not the case)

Love the series... have all 4 of the books, haven't yet found time to read them, unfortunately
SM84CE wrote:
Love the series... have all 4 of the books, haven't yet found time to read them, unfortunately

I love them as well! I even made a large hand drawn copy of the map of Alagaƫsia
[quote="Pieman7373"]
SM84CE wrote:
Pieman7373 wrote:

I love them as well! I even made a large hand drawn copy of the map of Alagaƫsia

nice! You messed up you QUOTE block, BTW
SM84CE wrote:
nice! You messed up you QUOTE block, BTW

I fixed it, lol

EOIN COLFER FUDGED THE END OF THE ARTEMIS FOWL SERIES!!!!
Ever since I was 8 and I first encountered the Artemis Fowl series, I really liked it, and I eagerly procured the next 2 books as they came out (there were only 5 when I started), but I didn't realize that the 8th and final book was out until like 2015. I had read the first 7 books at least a dozen times, and listened to them at least another 6. The story is pretty solid, and I noticed no major plot holes... Then I read the 8th book (The Last Guardian), and I have only read it once... I didn't really like the book at all, it seemed almost like a rushed conclusion to the series, and there is a HUGE plot hole, that I would explain, but it would make even less sense to you guys than my Dan Brown rant, if you haven't read the books. 0x5
And the ending is irritating, because it seems like it will end in a sad way with a major character dying, and it seemed that way long enough that you start accepting it, then right before the end, he does a 180 and BRING THE GUY BACK TO LIFE (the mechanics of which is a major part of the plot hole!!!) and then ends the book, on kind of a cliffhanger...
At-least the narrator does not sound like George Costanza.

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laKprX-HP94 1:15 for reference.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours