I have recently started a project (yes, I know, but it is going to be tied in with PokeGen in one way or another) which will use databases. Because I currently do not have access to a server which supports Python and I don't want it to get accessed too much before it's complete, I decided to start everything on just my rig to test everything out. I made the base database in Open Office, but I can't figure out how to connect to it from Python (or convert it to MySQL or PostgreSQL, which I do have access to in Python for sure). Is there a way to do so without using uno (which starts up OOo and can just be slow from what I've read)? I'd preferably like to just convert to MySQL or PostgreSQL if at all possible though.
PkeGen is in wxWidgets, no? If so, they you can just use its database connection classes Smile

http://www.wxwindows.org/manuals/2.6.3/wx_odbcoverview.html#odbcoverview
The database will be used more for the backend (keep track of uploaded PokeMods, users, servers, etc.) and won't be graphical at all. It'll just be a script running on either my PC and later a server that will be more dedicated than my rig can be. I recently got PostgreSQL installed and the database linked to it and am going to test everything out with that. So I was hoping for more of a link to PostgreSQL from Python. I found a few modules, but none have seemed to installed correctly so far. I am currently trying to get PyGreSQL installed from sources, but it is yelling about not being able to find the PostgreSQL include directory. I have all of the developer packages installed with PostgreSQL, so I don't know what would cause that to happen. Any ideas?
Well it is possible to just use the wxWidgets one and just not have it be graphical (aka, call wx.app() but don't make any frames - you don't even need to enter the event loop for wxDb to work right, at least, not that I noticed immediately)

Or you could look for a MySQL module, as that is a more common DB than PostgreSQL Smile
Kllrnohj wrote:
Well it is possible to just use the wxWidgets one and just not have it be graphical (aka, call wx.app() but don't make any frames - you don't even need to enter the event loop for wxDb to work right, at least, not that I noticed immediately)

Or you could look for a MySQL module, as that is a more common DB than PostgreSQL Smile

I was unable to find a MySQL server for free though. Plus, I already have all of the tables converted over to PostgreSQL. I also have worked with wx without the GUI part (messing around with images and the like), so I may go that way, though I don't know if/when it gets moved to the server if it will have access to wx, so I may need another way in that case anyway.
MySQL is free on its own. That, and almost all hosts that provide Protege SQL will give MySQL
Well, I have PostgreSQL, so I'll stick with that. The thing is that the database needs to be accessible with (hopefully) native modules so that the server doesn't need other extraneous modules (especially ones as large as wx). Smaller ones, like PostgreSQL modules I've found are small but I can't seem to get them installed correctly.
Kllrnohj wrote:
...Or you could look for a MySQL module, as that is a more common DB than PostgreSQL Smile
That was going to be my suggestion too. I've found it to be stable, free, relatively powerful, and relatively secure.
Okay, with three or four failed attempts at installing a Python <-> PostgreSQL connection through modules (most yelled about some MS junk version mismatch), I'm looking at MySQL. Now just to get all of the tables converted into MySQL...

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours