I promised you guys that I would continue developing my CC22 contest entry into a full, playable game (the contest version is here), and I will uphold that promise!

The first thing I think I am going to do is re-arrange the main menu options, because every person that I have handed the game to neglects to put armor on the character, not even realizing that it is possible!

Hopefully I can get a screenshot up of this soon
I have made quite a bit of progress (most of it behind the scenes, sadly) but I re-arranged the main menu, and also made the program 30k smaller :3

I might post screenshots later

EDIT:
The way this game will be played is as follows:
You (the player) has to search through a dungeon, collecting money and killing monsters, searching for the bosses and the relics they guard, killing a boss will give you a relic. Collecting all the relics mean that you win!
Okay, so, KryptonicDragon helped me get the minimap working, and I added the arrow for the the player and spent all night adding in the options menu, and fixing a couple minor aesthetic things.
The options you can change at this point are:
*Minimap: can be toggled on and off, and moved to each of the 4 corners of the screen
*Health bars: enemy health bar's can be toggled on and off
SCREENSHOT!!!!

EDIT: Ignore the weird glitchy enemy attack, that is a toolchain bug, as confirmed by Adriweb and Runer
This is looking great, guys! What's the speed like on-calculator when you're actively moving around the map? The map looks great - I'd be super-impressed if you could come up with some measure of how "important" the content at each corner of the map was, and automatically move the minimap to the least important corner (probably with some hysteresis/delay so it doesn't constantly move).
Could you add a button to toggle the Minimap on/off from the play screen without having to bring up the menu? Personally I'd probably be walking around with the Minimap off and then just flick it on to check every now and then, so a one-press way of doing this would be cool Smile

Looks wonderful though!
JamesV wrote:
Could you add a button to toggle the Minimap on/off from the play screen without having to bring up the menu? Personally I'd probably be walking around with the Minimap off and then just flick it on to check every now and then, so a one-press way of doing this would be cool Smile

Maybe, that is probably what I would do also. But I'm out of function buttons to map to options, haha
hmmmmmmmmmm...... I think I will add an option in the settings menu to pick which button toggles the minimap

Walking Animation!!!!!!!!!

EDIT:
Kerm wrote:
What's the speed like on-calculator when you're actively moving around the map?

I added the minimap hotkey option, inspired by JamesV's post Smile

Looking awesome!!!
Looks considerably better than the first one! (which I still have Shock)
Any downloads for the new one available?
Argus wrote:
Looks considerably better than the first one! (which I still have Shock)
Any downloads for the new one available?

Thank you very much!!!

And no, there aren't any downloads right now, because it would be even more boring than the contest release, haha

So, I changed a bunch of stuff around, and I have a solid plan.
Instead of just picking whatever equipment you want at the beginning of every game, i added Free Play mode, which will let you equip whatever items you want at the start, and then play the game normally from that point. Selecting "new game" resets your equipment to default.

The shop is getting an overhaul, and within it you will be able to purchase the standard armor and swords, but also other weapons, like a bow, or potions, using money collected from jars and enemies.
The pouch button will bring you to the inventory/equipment screen where you can change which equipment is equipped, and what all your equipment is

I also got rid of some more sprites that I didn't need, so I won't have to worry about my program getting too big any time soon
Looking great!
I have been wanting to play a full version of this game ever since the contest started, and it's looking even better each day Smile
I'm implementing firing arrows and I think I'm dumb, because I can't seem to get the arrows to not be "stuck to the tilemap" instead of the player, lol

And also, this happened:
Lol that is a very impressive bug Very Happy.

Also shooting arrows? cool!
tr1p1ea wrote:
0x5 that is a very impressive bug Very Happy.

Also shooting arrows? cool!

Hehe, that bug is before I added an upper cap to the arrow firing, so I held the button down and broke everything

Yeah! There will be 4 tiers of bow to purchase eventually (to correspond with the swords/armor
I got the arrow flying to work correctly!!!
I thought that I was doing the math wrong before, but it turns out that a variable of mine was overflowing >.<

Arrow collision detection is coming very soon :3

Side note:
Something that would be super helpful, that completely mystifies me, would be if you guys can help me find a reason for a bug that is visible in the above screenshot. At some point between adding the ability to toggle the enemy health numbers, and my crazy arrow glitch, I messed up the drawing of the enemy health numbers, so they repeat when I move vertically... This chunk is where I draw them, but I use the same exact math as when I draw the enemies, so logically the enemies should be repeated too... But also, logically, that part of the function shouldn't even be ran when there isn't an alive enemy on the screen... I'm probably just dumb, and it is probably something super simple, but I can't find it...
Pieman7373 wrote:
Side note:
Something that would be super helpful, that completely mystifies me, would be if you guys can help me find a reason for a bug that is visible in the above screenshot. At some point between adding the ability to toggle the enemy health numbers, and my crazy arrow glitch, I messed up the drawing of the enemy health numbers, so they repeat when I move vertically... This chunk is where I draw them, but I use the same exact math as when I draw the enemies, so logically the enemies should be repeated too... But also, logically, that part of the function shouldn't even be ran when there isn't an alive enemy on the screen... I'm probably just dumb, and it is probably something super simple, but I can't find it...

My guess would be that since text clipping is disabled and you still draw enemies that are offscreen in a certain direction, that even though the sprite gets clipped and doesn't cause any issues, the text doesn't and probably repeats every 256 pixels.
jacobly wrote:

My guess would be that since text clipping is disabled and you still draw enemies that are offscreen in a certain direction, that even though the sprite gets clipped and doesn't cause any issues, the text doesn't and probably repeats every 256 pixels.

I will look into that at lunch! I commented out the SetTextConfig line because scaling text wasn't working, and that seemed to fix that, but I that is also around the time that the numbers started repeating, so that makes sense. Also, I didn't realize that I was allowing drawing offscreen in ANY direction, so I'll have to fix that!
jacobly wrote:

I feel even more dumb now because I still can't seem to fix it ;-;

Arrow collision mostly works!
Now I am going to finish up the store, and make the inventory functional, so I might upload another screenshot soon, if all goes well, hehe

The projectile count does weird annoying things, but ignore that

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours