Login [Register]
Don't have an account? Register now to chat, post, use our tools, and much more.
[EDIT]The game is in beta! Check it out here

I started a new project, and decided that it would be better with community input, so here I am with my first post of a developing program (I really need to post more). I just started about an hour ago, so I don't have that much done.

Here is a short glance at the main menu I've began to develop. The game is inspired by BitLife and InstLife, which most of you probably HAVEN'T heard of.

If any of you have suggestions, requests, or specific life events (school, marriage, etc.) for the game, please reply. Thank you!



EDIT: Checklist:
Fix Bugs

Completed:
Die Naturally
Add Assets Menu
Marriage
Divorce/break up
Quit job
Looks good! I am looking forward to playing it.
I've worked on (sadly not that much got done) the simulator a bit more (~2 hours). I believe (hopefully) after MANY bugs got patched, I've finished the education system. This involves college with different degrees, going to just high school, or dropping out of either college or high school. Here are some images/gifs that show these menus.

I also added a naming system, yet it doesn't currently display your name anywhere.

Naming:


College menu:


Dropping out:


And again, if anybody has input, please reply because my ideas are pretty bland.

PS: Somehow, even with all of these features, this program is still one of my lighter ones with only around 200 lines (233 at the moment). I'm proud of myself. Smile
I've rolled out another couple updates and fixed some more bugs, so it's time to show my progress. I added all of the tabs that will have options added later (the only option in right now is to drop out of school.). I also added a gender selection at the beginning, and is recorded along with other data to be used later on, most likely in the 'family' tab.

Still wanting suggestions/requests for additions to the game, please reply even if you aren't going to play it yourself when I release it.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the program now sits comfortably on 300 lines.

Here is a demonstration of the naming feature more in depth, the gender feature, and the tabs of the menus.
Worked a little bit more with a lot more bugs and got the next shareable update. This update was only focused on the 'social' tab, adding sexuality and the ability to find a partner. Partners have randomly generated names and ages (10 possible names of each gender and 5 possible ages [meant to be close to the player's age]). Here is some footage of a short run through of those features.



PS New suggestions and requests still highly wanted.

PPS Now sitting at 467 lines of code (still not that bad Very Happy )
New update:

After dropping out of either high school or college, it is displayed on the 'education' tab.

Forgot to mention in a previous update, money was added, but only used when subtracting college tuition (expensive as heck irl [$20,000/yr no matter what in the game]).

PS No screenshots or gifs because I dont see a need (and you can't even see money being subtracted yet).
New update!

Added partners age display on 'social' tab.

Added jobs! 18 different jobs, with different pays (based of real life averages). When majoring in the field of the job, odds increase of getting it (duh). After gaining a job, both the job name and pay are displayed on the 'career' tab.

Demonstration of job feature:

In this gif, not getting a job and getting a job are both shown.

PS Now sitting at 710 lines of code (not that bad)

PPS Still accepting suggestions
Those people are making hella money right after school Razz

Anyway looking pretty neat! Are there going to be random life events that happen? (for example, you win the lottery or your car gets stolen?)
MateoConLechuga wrote:
Those people are making hella money right after school Razz

Anyway looking pretty neat! Are there going to be random life events that happen? (for example, you win the lottery or your car gets stolen?)


Right now I am planning to enable the buying of lottery tickets in the 'miscellaneous' tab, and as for getting robbed, I might add that when walking down the street, which I will also add in the 'miscellaneous' tab.
New large update! Graphing Calculator Good Idea (btw this is definitely my most ambitious project yet)

Added tabs to the miscellaneous menu, play lottery and go for a walk! (Will probably add a separate 'gamble' option at some point and put in a mini-game.)

Play lottery currently is not set up, yet is available to choose at age 21.

Going for a walk is available at age 10, and has 1 of 3 events that happen every time it is selected. The options are: find a lost wallet, get mugged (you can choose to try to run, fight, or give your money with this option), or see a type of person. The see a person menu gives three options: ignore, assault, or donate (as this game takes place in a big city so the people are street performers).

The assault option is not coded in yet, because I want to make it great (if you don't know what I'm talking about, you'll like it Wink ). All options in any of the menus that change the money amount are linked with your balance (for example keeping the lost wallet will increase your balance).

Also, if you try to fight the person mugging you, and you lose (70% chance because they have a knife), you die. This is the first available option of death.

When you encounter a street performer, there are 5 different types (one is randomly selected), yet they all have the same interactions.

Any suggestions and/or requests for these new features are welcome, along with any other part of the program.

Here is a demonstration of finding a street performer (donate option):

Here is a demonstration of finding a lost wallet (find owner option):

Here is a demonstration of getting mugged (run option):


PS If you want to know the specifics about anything (odds, names, menus, etc.), just reply to the topic asking what you would like to see and I will make a post of it if possible.

PPS Program now has 993 lines (road to 1k) Very Happy
Newest Update: added assault menu which resulted in the addition of the going to jail system (jail activities/playing is not implemented yet so it just says "went to jail" [so you still make money and play the game normally right now]).

Basics:
When assaulting someone, you have a chance of getting caught and going to prison. Also when assaulting someone, random injury messages are displayed (That's the great part I was talking about earlier). If you still don't know what I'm talking about, read the advanced description section.

Advanced:
When assaulting someone, there is a 10% chance they run away. The remaining 90% is divided into a 60% chance you get caught by the police and a 30% chance you don't (both resulting in the other person being injured). There are 11 possible parts of the body that can be injured with 5 possible injuries. Up to 3 of these message can be generated (amount of messages is also randomly generated). So in total, there are 165 different outcomes of just the assault messages/orders. All of them being randomized, it makes really funny messages.

Here is one possible outcome (30% not go to jail outcome), also note the injury messages (I know they appear in a weird order, but they all appear okay?):


PS If anyone has any other Idea ideas Idea for how someone might be put in jail, I'd like some. Thanks! Smile

PPS at 1097 lines of code now (surprisingly not that much for how many random options there were with the assault feature)
I think it looks pretty good so far! Could you maybe give the size in bytes/k, as a line could be any number of lengths. Also, posting the code is a good way to get feedback about code quality/optimization tips.
Overall it looks like it should be pretty entertaining to play Smile.
How do you make stuff randomly generated? Is this in TI-Basic or in ASM?
doofusthecow wrote:
How do you make stuff randomly generated? Is this in TI-Basic or in ASM?

I'm pretty sure it is in TI-Basic. As for how to make things random, there are a ton of commands for that such as randInt(.
Jeffitus wrote:
I think it looks pretty good so far! Could you maybe give the size in bytes/k, as a line could be any number of lengths. Also, posting the code is a good way to get feedback about code quality/optimization tips.
Overall it looks like it should be pretty entertaining to play Smile.


Sorry about that, the size is 15855 bytes.

Also thanks for the support!
Smaller update than normal:

Added prison functionality:

When in prison, you cannot see the normal menus, and instead are directed to a single, prison menu. On this menu, the amount of years you have left is displayed, along with the option of an escape attempt. The escape attempt has a 20% chance of success, 40% chance of failure with no penalty, and a 40% chance of being caught (sentence extended).
New mini-game installed! The mini-game is for the lottery system, and is very basic.

At age 21 you gain access to the 'play lottery' menu under the 'miscellaneous' tab

When you select the option, you are greeted by a custom menu that offers three selections: play the game, how to play, and leave.

Specifics: The game operates by generating a random number 1-10. If the player guesses a number 1 off from the chosen number, they win their bet back. If they get the number exactly, they get double their bet back. If they try to break the game by betting more than they have, it says they don't have enough money and kicks them out. If they guess a number outside of 1-10, they automatically lose their bet. Also, if you think you can cheat out money of this system, you can't. It works the same way casinos work, the player never wins money. It is fun to play though!

Here is demonstration of the menus:


I also have an update for my plans for the game. There are a few definite additions I will be adding:
Ask to marry partner
Divorce/break up with partner
Quit job
Die Naturally

After I add these things, I will probably release the beta version of the game so I can receive feedback.
Regarding the lottery system: What if you bet a negative number and lose?
slimeenergy wrote:
Regarding the lottery system: What if you bet a negative number and lose?

Good point. The system for bets checks if the bet is positive and less than your current balance. As I said before, the choosing a number function doesn't have boundaries, but you lose if you go outside 1-10 no matter what. If you choose a decimal, you also lose, as it checks for exact numbers.

I did realize though that I need to make the bets whole numbers.

Thank you.
bdoggamer wrote:
slimeenergy wrote:
Regarding the lottery system: What if you bet a negative number and lose?

Good point. The system for bets checks if the bet is positive and less than your current balance. As I said before, the choosing a number function doesn't have boundaries, but you lose if you go outside 1-10 no matter what. If you choose a decimal, you also lose, as it checks for exact numbers.

I did realize though that I need to make the bets whole numbers.

Thank you.


Yea, the last time I made a gambling game it had that fatal flaw. I had checked if the bet was lower than your balance, but negative bets never crossed my mine. It's a good thing you patched it.
  
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are GMT - 5 Hours
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 

Advertisement