So I decided that I want to build a computer to take the heavier jobs that my MacBook is currently handling. These include video editing and playing video games among other things. Does anyone have any part suggestions? I want this computer to last for a while before I need to upgrade the parts in it.
no part suggestions, but when my dad and I built one, we used pcpartpicker to check for compatibility and get an approximate price
SM84CE wrote:
no part suggestions, but when my dad and I built one, we used pcpartpicker to check for compatibility and get an approximate price

Ok, thanks. I'll look at that site. Smile
Having picked out parts and built multiple computers, and assisted a few friends with such things, I have a few things to say:

Firstly, try and nail your budget down. 300$? 500$? 1000$? 1000000$? Having a budget nailed down will be useful when trying to decide what parts to pick. Speaking of picking parts, that brings me to the next thing I have to say:

Try out http://pcpartpicker.com/. The website lets you pick out parts, it'll gather prices from multiple websites, alert you of compatibility issues between the parts you picked, and help you choose what parts you want.

Good luck!
I don't have any specific suggestions, but if you want to build your own PC I would highly recommend using pcpartpicker to make sure all your parts are compatible; they also have some good build guides for different budgets if that interests you.

Edit: it seems I have been ninja'd, but I guess one other suggestion I have is check if you have friends willing to sell you older parts for cheap, I did this for my current build and it ended up costing about $140 for the whole build.
KryptonicDragon wrote:
Having picked out parts and built multiple computers, and assisted a few friends with such things, I have a few things to say:

Firstly, try and nail your budget down. 300$? 500$? 1000$? 1000000$? Having a budget nailed down will be useful when trying to decide what parts to pick. Speaking of picking parts, that brings me to the next thing I have to say:

Try out http://pcpartpicker.com/. The website lets you pick out parts, it'll gather prices from multiple websites, alert you of compatibility issues between the parts you picked, and help you choose what parts you want.

Good luck!

Thanks! I'm thinking around $1000 max, but I don't know how feasible that will be. I'm still a long way off...

Jeffitus wrote:
I don't have any specific suggestions, but if you want to build your own PC I would highly recommend using pcpartpicker to make sure all your parts are compatible; they also have some good build guides for different budgets if that interests you.

Sounds good! Thanks Very Happy

Jeffitus wrote:
Edit: it seems I have been ninja'd, but I guess one other suggestion I have is check if you have friends willing to sell you older parts for cheap, I did this for my current build and it ended up costing about $140 for the whole build.

Oh wow... Ok. I'll have to try that. Thanks Very Happy
Sorry for the long post I really like building computers and would like to give the best advice I can, I will include a short summary at the bottom. PC part picker is a great tool and I would also highly recommend it. I do not know how knowledgable you are about computer hardware so for the sake of keeping this from being too long, I will assume you know the terms I use. If you have any questions about the terms I use or why I recommend something I would be happy to answer.

CPU: I personally really like ryzen which should be really good for video editing but Intel may be faster on a lot of games as they often can't utilize more than 4 cores (new games are getting much better and can use more).

GPU: Honestly I can't really recommend much I would need to know what resolution you planning on using and what refresh rate along with what you like playing.

Monitor: I need to know the GPU (I seem to be stuck in a bit of a paradox) but for gtx 1050 I would recommend 1080p 60 Hz for gtx 1070 1080p 144 hz or 1440p 60hz for 2080 1440p 144hz or 4k 60hz. This is also heavily dependant on what games you play and if you prefer higher refresh rates ar resolution and this is based off memory so it may be outdated for the newer games.

RAM: Your very lucky in this respect as prices have dropped a lot Very Happy (when I built my PC back in December it was nearly twice as expensive.) I would recommend 8 or 16 GB but if you are getting Ryzen you will benefit from 3000+ MHz and should get 2*4 for 8 GB or 8*8 for 16 GB etc. I'm not sure how much intel benefits from this but ryzen loves dual channel and higher speed.

Case: I just buy the cheapest one with a cutout for cable management USB 3 and spots for multiple fans. The cable management cutouts I'm referring to are the holes by the power supply and motherboard. but this is mainly an aesthetic decision and I keep mine tucked away beside my desk so this is completely up to your preference on how it looks. But I would recommend leaving it in an open space (not the little cubbies in a desk) and use filters especially if it is on carpet or near animals.

PSU: This completely depends on your parts for the size there are calculators to help with this https://www.newegg.com/tools/power-supply-calculator/ is an example but there are many more. If you like cable management get modular PSU if not it doesn't really matter.

Mother Board: Most "Gaming motherboards" are more or less the same besides bios UI and little things letting you overclock a little better/easier so I don't spend the extra money but if you love overclocking it may be a good option. Make sure it has enough slots for your parts keeping in mind graphics cards will often take up the slot under it too. I would recommend getting 4 ram slots instead of 2 and an extra PCI-E slot or 2 especially if you plan to gradually upgrade it. If you are getting an SSD I would also recommend having an m.2 slot.

Storage: I highly recommend getting a small SSD around 120GB for your OS and most used programs and a bulk HDD for everything else. If you get an SSD I recommend an m.2 one as they can but much faster but a SATA SSD should be perfectly fine.

Internet: Almost all motherboards come with LAN support but many do not have wifi support so if this is important to you make sure you check if it has wifi and if not there are many PCI-E cards for it or USB ones.

Cooling: I use air cooling but if you overclock a lot water may help keep it cooler. Some higher-end CPUs do not come with any cooler so make sure you check if it does PC part picker should flag this if you use it but otherwise stock cooler should be fine as long as you don't overclock a lot. For the case, I would recommend 1 intake and 1 outtake fan at least a lot of cases come with this if not fans are fairly cheap.

TLDR; for CPU I like ryzen but Intel may be faster in games. GPU, I can't really recommend anything without more info. Ram, I would get 8 or 16 GB. The case this is largely aethstetic as long as it has fan spots and if you like cable management get one with cutouts for cables to go through. For storage, a small boot SSD and a large HDD are probably your best bet on a budget. Stock cooling should be fine for CPU and case should have 1 intake and 1 outtake.
Ok, thanks TheMustardCat! Very Happy
Quick note, since my under-the-weather brain didn't think of it, a friend I've very recently been helping with his new PC got these parts:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/92HcpG

His budget was a little under $1000, so you could probably throw some stuff in there, like an SSD, maybe a better case (he picked the cheapest reasonable-looking case because he really didn't care).
Hi!

Though KryptonicDragon's part list was pretty good, you could get much more performance out of this setup: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sJwjzY
Ok, thanks both of you! I'll look at those links Very Happy

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours