I originally wasn't planning on participating in this contest, but after seeing some posts by others I got inspired to work on my own submission.

LATEST GIF IN POST

Here's how my game will work:
The player will see an overview of the level they will be platforming in, and then be allowed to customize their character. They will be able to change the percentage of each color in it, and the colors will affect the stats of the character. For example, the more blue on the character the higher it will jump, the more green on it the faster it will run, the more pink on it the bigger it is. To beat a level they have to make it all the way to the right. For example, if a level required you to be really tiny and make some slightly high jumps, then you might want 60% pink, 30% blue, and 10% green.

Here's what I got so far:

I made an external level editor so I can insert those levels directly into the source

I have a basic physics engine and menu system in the game (Yes, I acknowledge I suck at platforming)

Here's what I'm planning on doing:
1. More levels (Current Level Count: 23)
Latest Level:

2. Rendering optimization (if possible)

Completed list items:
1. Character customization

2. Level Select Menu

3. Add ways to win/lose in a level (Gif cuts off right before win screen because it's secret, and that's the final level at the moment)

4. Physics optimization (currently the higher the velocity the laggier, which makes higher precision jumps more difficult)
Character Customization is here (Keep in mind this level wasn't designed well enough for the physics engine and character design system, it'll probably be scrapped)!
Hmm, I don't know why but that reminds me of an old game called Inside a Star-filled Sky. I used to play it a bit.
This looks fantastic!!!
Pieman7373 wrote:
This looks fantastic!!!

Thanks, I appreciate that!
Looking sweet, I can't wait to play it if and when you finish!

I like your idea for the level editor, it's really sweet. I really like how you are choosing to implement the theme, it seems to be working well for you.

One thing with your physics engine, though. It seems that there is a frame or two where the player sprite "floats" on the ground after a jump. I think this is because of you are just resetting the downwards velocity if the next frame would result in the player clipping through the ground.

What you really should be doing is setting the downwards velocity to zero and finding the intersection point between the ground and the player so that you can neatly place the player on the ground.
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
Looking sweet, I can't wait to play it if and when you finish!

I like your idea for the level editor, it's really sweet. I really like how you are choosing to implement the theme, it seems to be working well for you.

One thing with your physics engine, though. It seems that there is a frame or two where the player sprite "floats" on the ground after a jump. I think this is because of you are just resetting the downwards velocity if the next frame would result in the player clipping through the ground.

What you really should be doing is setting the downwards velocity to zero and finding the intersection point between the ground and the player so that you can neatly place the player on the ground.

Thank you for the feedback! I actually tried to prepare for that velocity bug, but made an error with that. Fixed it though, it was a simple error in which two 'i's should've been two '1's.
Physics optimization!
Thanks to P_T for mentioning draw.io and Phoenix for recommending me to perform physics this way!
Before I had quite an inefficient method that wouldn't matter running on a fast device such as a computer, while running a very light 2d game. However, for a calculator, this method was a nightmare. This torment ends now! My GIF recorder slightly under-sells this performance increase, high precision jumps are now much easier to make (If you miss a jump, that's either due to skill or an extremely fast run speed).
Looks great!

The only concern I have is that there would be an optimal character design for all levels - Would need to ensure that levels are varied enough to account for this.
tr1p1ea wrote:
Looks great!

The only concern I have is that there would be an optimal character design for all levels - Would need to ensure that levels are varied enough to account for this.

Yea, that has been something I've been taking into account while designing the levels. I've even been trying to make multiple paths for multiple configurations.
New levels!
There are now 16 levels in the game.
Here are all of the levels' overviews (1-16):
How to play!
A how to play menu now exists.
Love the levels, looks great thus far ... you will be finished in no time!
I've submitted the game. There are two updates I haven't announced:
- Saving the levels you've unlocked to an appvar
- There are now 23 levels
I'm hoping to at least place top three, but that'll probably only happen if there are only two other submissions in this competition.
Good luck to everyone else in the competition.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours