Are you excited?
Yes!
 80%  [ 20 ]
No.
 4%  [ 1 ]
I don't care.
 16%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 25

Hey, I just want you guys to know that there is a VERY large possibility that I will not to be able to submit this entry in time for CC22. I've spent the last week or so trying to fix a bug in my code related to the appvar reading. I've tried all kinds of things, but am still having issues. Development will continue, and I want to get this game out eventually, but most likely it won't be for CC22. So, kind of informally dropping out of CC22 contention, at least with this entry. If I do manage to finish, I will be sure to submit it, however. Sorry, but I think that this is the best choice to bring you guys the best program I am able to. I'll go take another look at my code, I guess...

EDIT: This was kind of abrupt, wasn’t it? Sorry about that.
According to the contest rules, it's fine for other people to help as long as it's done publicly. You could post your code, including the convpng input and output, here and we could try to help you find the bug in it. Both Michael and I (and probably more people) have shared our code publicly on GitHub so that others can see it and help debug.
Yeah definitely share your code and get help from the people here! Sometimes you look at the same code so many times that you just lose the capability of spotting the errors.
Alright thanks guys. The problem isn’t with the sprites as I had originally thought (I’m pretty sure, since I don’t have any real proof of that, and there’s far less than 64k of sprites in the program). I’ve been taking blocks of code and seeing if they work to try to narrow down the cause of the problem. When I took the save/ load code and tested it, I got similar errors to the ones I was experiencing when running the whole program. May upload on GitHub later, I guess. Thanks a lot for your support, too.
In case anyone wants to take a look, here is the save/ load code, which I believe is causing the problem.

Loading (should be fairly self explanatory, but CARIDEN is the car last viewed in the dealership, CARIDENA-E are the identification numbers of each car you own in the garage, and ACCA-E and TOPSPA-E are their stats; CURRCASH and CURREXP are your current cash and EXP levels):

Code:
sum(0)
sum(1,"DEALCAR","r"→A
If A=0
999999→CURRCASH
0→CARIDEN→CURREXP→CARIDENA→CARIDENB→CARIDENC→CARIDEND→CARIDENE→ACCA→TOPSPA→ACCB→TOPSPB→ACCC→TOPSPC→ACCD→TOPSPD→ACCE→TOPSPE
Else
sum(5,°CARIDEN,3,1,A)
sum(5,°CURRCASH,3,1,A)
sum(5,°CURREXP,3,1,A)
sum(5,°CARIDENA,3,1,A)
sum(5,°CARIDENB,3,1,A)
sum(5,°CARIDENC,3,1,A)
sum(5,°CARIDEND,3,1,A)
sum(5,°CARIDENE,3,1,A)
sum(5,°ACCA,3,1,A)
sum(5,°TOPSPA,3,1,A)
sum(5,°ACCB,3,1,A)
sum(5,°TOPSPB,3,1,A)
sum(5,°ACCC,3,1,A)
sum(5,°TOPSPC,3,1,A)
sum(5,°ACCD,3,1,A)
sum(5,°TOPSPD,3,1,A)
sum(5,°ACCE,3,1,A)
sum(5,°TOPSPE,3,1,A)
End
sum(0)

Saving (same things apply here):

Code:
sum(0)
sum(1,"DEALCAR","w+"→A
If A≠0
sum(4,°CARIDEN,3,1,A)
sum(4,°CURRCASH,3,1,A)
sum(4,°CURREXP,3,1,A)
sum(4,°CARIDENA,3,1,A)
sum(4,°CARIDENB,3,1,A)
sum(4,°CARIDENC,3,1,A)
sum(4,°CARIDEND,3,1,A)
sum(4,°CARIDENE,3,1,A)
sum(4,°ACCA,3,1,A)
sum(4,°TOPSPA,3,1,A)
sum(4,°ACCB,3,1,A)
sum(4,°TOPSPB,3,1,A)
sum(4,°ACCC,3,1,A)
sum(4,°TOPSPC,3,1,A)
sum(4,°ACCD,3,1,A)
sum(4,°TOPSPD,3,1,A)
sum(4,°ACCE,3,1,A)
sum(4,°TOPSPE,3,1,A)
End

If anyone could help it would be much appreciated. The glitch is probably just something I overlooked. Thanks in advance.

EDIT- Now that I have some more time to work on this (assuming I don't submit it for CC22), maybe I'll just start over (keeping some stuff, though). The program in its current state has an infestation of bugs and takes up far too much space. So, I think that it might be time to start fresh, keeping clear goals in mind. What do you guys think?
I haven't messed around with your code yet, but just looking at it: Have you allocated bytes for each of the variables that you are reading the save into?

For instance,

Code:
sum(1,"DEALCAR","r"→A
Alloc(3)->CARIDEN
Read(CARIDEN, 3, 1, A)
***{CARIDEN}->CARIDEN
Concept: DR0VE

New idea. How would you guys feel about me releasing a small drag racing game for CC22, then releasing the full-featured DR1VE later? DR0VE would include the full quick race system, a few cars, and maybe some options to change their performance to get the best time. It would be an arcade game of sorts. What do you think? Post your thoughts here.
epsilon5 wrote:
How would you guys feel about me releasing a small drag racing game for CC22, then releasing the full-featured DR1VE later? DR0VE would include the full quick race system, a few cars, and maybe some options to change their performance to get the best time.

Sounds great! Very Happy
epsilon5 wrote:
Concept: DR0VE

New idea. How would you guys feel about me releasing a small drag racing game for CC22, then releasing the full-featured DR1VE later? DR0VE would include the full quick race system, a few cars, and maybe some options to change their performance to get the best time. It would be an arcade game of sorts. What do you think? Post your thoughts here.

1) Clever naming. Smile 2) Yeah, that sounds great!
NoaxPrime wrote:

1) Clever naming. Smile 2) Yeah, that sounds great!

My idea from the start of this was to make the game a series for TI 84 Plus CE calculators. First would be DR1VE, then DR2VE, then DRIV3, and so on. Since DR1VE is coming later now, DR0VE is first. Not very inspired, I know, but I don't care that much, because it sounds (and looks) good.
DR0VE progress update:

So right now, the program can take an acceleration and top speed value and calculate the shift locations based on the number of gears. It will also calculate the current RPM of the engine and stop acceleration once you reach 8000 RPM (until you shift), at which point the RPM will drop. Downshifting is working as well. Finally, it will penalize you for trying to shift too early. And in its current state, all this code (compiled) is only about 850 bytes. I'm working on calculating distance traveled and setting up timers now, which shouldn't take too long.

Plans:

Soon, you will be able to configure a car to your liking, then race it. You will have to find the optimal balance of acceleration and top speed to get the best time. Your opponent's acceleration and top speed will be tuned so it will always give you a challenge. More to come! If you have any feedback, be sure to put it here.
epsilon5 wrote:
DR0VE progress update:

So right now, the program can take an acceleration and top speed value and calculate the shift locations based on the number of gears. It will also calculate the current RPM of the engine and stop acceleration once you reach 8000 RPM (until you shift), at which point the RPM will drop. Downshifting is working as well. Finally, it will penalize you for trying to shift too early. And in its current state, all this code (compiled) is only about 850 bytes. I'm working on calculating distance traveled and setting up timers now, which shouldn't take too long.

Plans:

Soon, you will be able to configure a car to your liking, then race it. You will have to find the optimal balance of acceleration and top speed to get the best time. Your opponent's acceleration and top speed will be tuned so it will always give you a challenge. More to come! If you have any feedback, be sure to put it here.

MAN I CAN"T WAIT!!! I really love the progress and I'd love to see how it turns out!
Feedback? There will be a scrolling background soon (if you have any tips on how to implement that, it would be appreciated, but probably not required).

EDIT- Oh yeah, the number in the top left corner is the current time in seconds.

It would be neat if the cars had shadows under them - you could probably use the same shadow for all the cars. It would help trick the eyes into seeing the cars one closer than the other in 3D space rather than one on top of the other in 2D space.
Yes, this is still a fairly early build (at least when it comes to graphics).

Car configuration screen. Feedback?
I may just be uneducated, but what would be the benefit of reducing your acceleration or top speed?
Sorry, I should have explained. You start out with acceleration of 8 and a top speed of 190, and then you can choose to spend 20 credits to increase these values to your liking. So you’ll have to choose between having excellent acceleration, high top speed, or some balance of these two. Does that make sense?

EDIT- How does the GUI look?
1) Yes now I see.

2) It looks great structurally, but it might benefit from some more color accents. I'm super exited for this project to be finished!
Hey, I’m happy to say that this project is nearing completion. Just a few more things to do now (bug fixes, adding a Cesium icon and description, etc.) and it’ll be done!

Here’s what’s been added.
-scrolling background that moves in relation to your car speed
-a pause feature
-car selection menu (only three cars but I may add more later)
-a race completed screen
-general race screen improvement

Miscellaneous and general features:
There are three cars that you can pick from, then configure to your liking. Then, you can race your car against a randomized opponent that (should) consistently be challenging to defeat. I’ll have some screenshots up soon. And as always, there I’m still open to feedback, especially now that I have an extra week to add new features. Also, if you have any questions, feel free to ask them.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours